shape
carat
color
clarity

question about spread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone: I have lots of questions about the new wedding set my husband bought me for Christmas. He did it as a surprise because he knows while I love my original .25 with several side diamonds, it wasn''t my dream ring. He went to a small jewelry store in this area that supposedly has a good rep according to several friends of his. He really wasn''t very educated about diamonds, and neither was I until I got this ring and have been obsessed with it ever since. anyway, he went for quality rather that size. Could somebody tell me whether my ring has a good "spread" or not? It really is a beautiful diamond in my opinion, but I have to admit, closer to a carat would have been a little nicer... Also it''s EGL certified, but he didn''t know about that stuff. It''s a round .7, 5.84 X 5.78 X3.40. T. Depth 58.5%, Table 59%, Crown ht. 13%, pav depth 43% and med girdle, no culet, no flourescence. F color, VS1 according to EGL. could someone tell me what they think? Really I''m just curious, I love the ring and I would never trade it up because he picked it out!
wink2.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Spread refers to diameter versus depth percentage. Your diamond has a very good "spread", which means that for its weight, the apparent size is not less than it ought to be. Sometimes this could mean that the stone is too thin and really "overly spready", but with yours such is not the case.

lmh

Rough_Rock
Thanks, old miner. What about the cut? It got a 1.2 on the HCA and I've had lots of compliments on it. Any opinions?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its very nice your husband is a diamond buying genius.

lmh

Rough_Rock
Excuse me for asking, Strmrdr. I thought the name of this forum was diamond prices and grading. Hmmm... just trying to get an honest opinion whether we got ripped off or not from a profession which frankly has a reputation (a lot of times) about as good as snake oil salesmen or telemarketers. Everyone else got answers to their ?s. what gives.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you take a look at the thread I linked in your other post you would see it was humor.
Sorry if it upset you.

oldminer is very expert and If he saw something that stood out as being way off He would have said so.
There isnt enough information for a full evaluation your best bet is like newenglandgemlab said getting it into the hands of an expert would be the best course of action.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your main question is about the spread.
Your diamond has a great spread without sacrificing its optical performance.
Cindy is looking at the total depth when she says the stone is shallow - but with a slightly large table the depth is in the right order.
I think your husband has done you well. The color and the clarity mean that the stone will never appear other than icy white and with VS clarity, even if the lab was lenient, you will never ever see any inclusions.

Consider the diamond a symbol of love from here on - and you only need check with an appraiser if you need an insurance valuation - which you probably got from the store.

lmh

Rough_Rock
Thank you for responding. I love the solitaire as well as the diamond band he bought- never thought about it being anything less than gorgeous until a few people said it was on the small side (being under a carat). But you're right, it's a wonderful gift and I'm completely happy with its brilliance and light return. I think he did do really well picking it out considering he really didn't do a lot of research!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results