shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about something I keep reading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do people get advised that a very thin girdle is okay if it is only a very small part of the stone and not on the tips of princess cut stones. Is it because as the part is very small the chances of hitting that part is remote or is it that the diamond will be overall well proportioned so it would not hurt the diamond much if the small part is hit?

Just wondering.

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
I wonder if it's to do with the setting process - my understanding is that that's the riskiest time and the most damage can be done to a stone with an extremely thin girdle all around. So I suppose that if the thin bit is only a small part of the girdle, that minimizes the risk. Same goes for corners of princesses as that's where the prongs usually are.

What do the experts reckon?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
With a Princess cut, since the corners come to a sharp point exactly where the prongs hold the stone, if the girdle is very or extremely thin there, there will be a potential for chipping during setting and normal wear.

In a round stone, the larger the very/extremely thin area of the girdle, possibly the greater the potential for chipping.

Make sure your stone is insured, regardless.
21.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.sunjewelry.com/diamond-education-girdle.html

Thank you for your replies. The above link is stating a very thin girdle amongst its best ranges. Any comments?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I saw princess rings recently where the setting left all the corners exposed. The stone was held by two double prongs. One above each side of the shank. I was amazed at first because the diamonds looked so beautiful with so much of them visible. At the same time I was horrified that a princess would be set in such a vulnerable way. Is the setting manufacturer just crazy? Is anyone buying these?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results