shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about SI2 feather

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Would this feather worry you (plot attached)?
The stone has been graded by GIA and was awarded SI2. The stone is just over 1ct.

0 02 GIA 2.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI FB,
Unfortunately the plot tells us very little about the actual look of the diamond.
I''ve seen plots for diamonds that looked far worse that that, yet the diamond was eye clean.
Conversely, I''ve seen many plots that looked as clean as that one- or even cleaner- where the imperfection really jumped out at you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2009 5:05:23 PM
Author:FB.
The stone has been graded by GIA and was awarded SI2. The stone is just over 1ct.
Get an appraiser to have a look FB.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/15/2009 6:11:23 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 9/14/2009 5:05:23 PM
Author:FB.
Get an appraiser to have a look FB.
I Agree - they could be a risk - it is good that ithey are red though - green means it reaches the surface.
But a custom setter can set this just very close with 2 prongs without risk and the prongs will protect it.
If it were not a damage risk I expect the plot would indicate a VS2/SI1 sized inclusion - but we can not know if there will be flash effects.
So it has a fair chance to be eye clean.
But an appraiser would earn their fee here - they should see the stone before setting and after to ensure no damage was done. Have the vendor set it - not a 3rd party

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Picture a vertical dashed line between the top and bottom images of the diamond... Fold the lower half of the diamond along the dashed line so that it is aligned with the top half of the diamond... Do the indications for the feathers align? If so, then the inclusion is present in both the upper and lower portions of the diamond and may run through the girdle edge and may present a durability risk... I said "may present" not "does present" and this is where additional insight from the vendor is important, I''ve seen feathers plotted like this which definitely break the edge of the stone and would not pass our evaluation process and others where the inclusion is well within the diamond and does not present any durability issue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results