carat
color
clarity

Question about scratches on a sapphire

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!:wavey:
I saw this uncertified sapphire ring in person and thought it was beautiful. The only problem with it is that the sapphire has what looks like superficial scratches on the top. Is something like that easy to buff out by a jeweler?
Thanks in advance for any insight on this and any opinions on the look of the stone would be great too.
Thanks!:wavey: IMG_0288.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think to really tell, the sapphire would have to be examined in person, because they could be surface-reaching inclusions.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, scratches and even chips can be rehabilitated but you need to be sure it’s a natural, not glass filled, sapphire. Synthetic sapphires have been around over 100 years. A Jewellers tester can’t ID synthetic from genuine because synthetic is exactly the same material - corundum- but made in a lab. You need a Loupe to look for glass bubbles and curved stria, indications of manmade material if it doesn’t come with a report saying it’s natural. This can be hard to see in a dark sapphire.
And surface reaching cracks can be an indication of glass filling which is the absolute worst type of treatment.
My worry is that it is could be a synthetic.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Distracts and Bron357
Thank you so much for your opinions and wise insights into this stone.
I am going to contact the seller tomorrow to double check that it’s a naturally formed sapphire.
This ring is up for auction at a reputable auction house and caught my eye.

Here is how it’s described.
Sapphire: medium deep blue, cleanish, minor table edge abrasions, nice shape and cut, lively.

I will ask more about it tomorrow. I never even considered the possibility that it was synthetic.
Thanks again!:D

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Distracts and Bron357
Thank you so much for your opinions and wise insights into this stone.
I am going to contact the seller tomorrow to double check that it’s a naturally formed sapphire.
This ring is up for auction at a reputable auction house and caught my eye.

Here is how it’s described.
Sapphire: medium deep blue, cleanish, minor table edge abrasions, nice shape and cut, lively.

I will ask more about it tomorrow. I never even considered the possibility that it was synthetic.
Thanks again!:D
If it’s through a reputable auction house and is listed as “a natural sapphire” you are protected if it turns out to be synthetic after proper assessment, though there has to be the word “natural”. That however doesn’t “protect” you from glass filled, as technically a glass filled sapphire is natural, just one that has been bleached out and jam packed filled with coloured blue glass! Take a Loupe, check the facet tops in the light, if you see any “squiggle lines” on the facet surfaces, that’s a dead giveaway for glass filling.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bron357.:wavey:
I am going to email them tomorrow and have them guarantee that it's "natural."
I will ask them about whether they know if it's glass filled and if they can state in writing that it is not.
I previously asked them why this stone wasn't certified when other lots were certified and the did say that it wasn't a particularly fine stone and that's why. That seemed like an honest answer to me.
If I do bid on it I will certainly take all of these factors into account and keep my bid on the low side.
It is a signed piece which does add a certain amount of value for me.
Thanks for the help! Have a great night.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

FWIW, in my experience, dots and blots :mrgreen2: can be rehabbed. Bron provided guidance.

Let us know how it turns out.:wavey:

cheers--Sharon

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Sharon!!:love:
So nice to hear from you! I will keep updating this post about the ring.
It's signed from our fave "T" so I know you can appreciate it!
Have a great night.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:Just a fast auction update. The did assure me it was a natural sapphire but were not able to verify glass filling or not.
I was way outbid so the point ended up being moot.
Probably for the best.. always something else fabulous coming down the pike and unfortunately we only have 10 fingers to fill. :lol:
Thanks for the help! Have a great day.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:Just a fast auction update. The did assure me it was a natural sapphire but were not able to verify glass filling or not.
I was way outbid so the point ended up being moot.
Probably for the best.. always something else fabulous coming down the pike and unfortunately we only have 10 fingers to fill. :lol:
Thanks for the help! Have a great day.

You have lovely long fingers. Not geometric finger filling.....but at LEAST two baubles on those (10) phalanges...

cheers--Sharon

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 X 2 = 20!
I like that ring math.:D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Something else will come along soon Rubies. Keep us posted!!:mrgreen2::wavey:

cheers--Sharon