shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about round brilliant cut...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Dear all,

I have a question about round brilliant cut... my e-ring has 128 facets and I have attached a pic of it''s plot... I am wondering if anyone can tell me the advantages and disavantages of this particular cut...

Thanks a lot!

Grapegravity
1.gif

ppl.jpg

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t help answer your question, but I really hope one of the experts chimes in with an opinion. I do want to comment that I''ve only ever seen one of these kinds of diamonds at People''s, but the one I saw was very beautiful. I''ve been thinking about going back there to see how it looks different from my H&A round.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I have compared my e-ring to my friends''s e-ring, and it seems mine is sparklier than hers... I went to an independent appraiser, and he told me that since there''s more lower facets on my diamond, it will be more brilliant than other traditional diamond... I don''t know if it''s true...

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
I have never seen a diamond with that many facets. What I CAN say is that my e-ring has "extra" facets as well. I have 8 extra on the bottom half of the diamond for a total of 66 vs 58. I have put it next to many of my friends diamonds and mine does seem to "jump out of the setting" more. It just sort of glows. I love it.
Hey can we see a pic of your diamond??

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, the advantage is that the extra facets will create more tiny sparkles. Picture a disco ball; the more "mirrors" the more the light is broken up into more sparkles.

The disadvantage depends on the diamond. If it''s otherwise cut well and the extra facets don''t come at the expense of light return then I suppose there''s no disadvantage--other than the usual extra markup for a designer diamond.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/5/2005 10:26:33 AM
Author: Karen Leah
Hey can we see a pic of your diamond??
I have tried to take pics of my ring, and this is the best I can do.. It still a little bit blur tho... I have no idea how to make my camera focus better.. sorry...

ppl1.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you using the macro mode on your camera??? That helps a lot.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Thanks
Date: 9/5/2005 12:28:01 PM
Author: Hest88
Well, the advantage is that the extra facets will create more tiny sparkles. Picture a disco ball; the more ''mirrors'' the more the light is broken up into more sparkles.

The disadvantage depends on the diamond. If it''s otherwise cut well and the extra facets don''t come at the expense of light return then I suppose there''s no disadvantage--other than the usual extra markup for a designer diamond.
Thank you so much for answering my questions!!! The independent appraiser told me that something is weird about my gridle due to the tiny facets. He said that the girdle waved different and supposely has pattern... I have no idea what he was talking about... He was going to rate my diamond an ideal cut, yet due to the weirdness of the girdle, he only rated it a "good cut"...

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/5/2005 3:36:22 PM
Author: kaleigh
Are you using the macro mode on your camera??? That helps a lot.
Thank you! I used macro mode,and also my loupe... here''s the pic

ppl3.JPG

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
one last pic...

ppl4.JPG

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2005 12:28:01 PM
Author: Hest88
Well, the advantage is that the extra facets will create more tiny sparkles. Picture a disco ball; the more 'mirrors' the more the light is broken up into more sparkles.

The disadvantage depends on the diamond. If it's otherwise cut well and the extra facets don't come at the expense of light return then I suppose there's no disadvantage--other than the usual extra markup for a designer diamond.
Good comparison Hest
1.gif

There are a number of proprietary cuts with extra facets. As Hest noted, they give a more active look. Preference is a matter of taste, since it is a different dynamic than a traditional 57/58 facet round brilliant. Many people find this look more appealing in large sizes (over 1.5-2.0 carats).

If you like extra faceted cuts there are some cut to a H&A level of optical symmetry that might interest you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results