shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about ring size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I have a question about ring size. I know this seems like a silly request but I would hate to get this wrong so here goes. I had no idea what size my ring finger is although I already wear a ring on it, we bought it so many years ago I can''t remember the size. When we went to a jeweler this past weekend to look at diamonds and get a better idea of what we liked I asked if I could get my finger sized so I know what size to have my boyfriend get. The woman handed me a bunch of little circles on a ring and told me to start trying sizes. It seems like there are so many tiny fingers on here but when trying sizes I found out that I was a size 8. Here''s the thing, I asked if there was any way to check what the ring I currently wear is and she checked for me and said it was an 8.5. At that point I wasn''t sure what was right, I could get the 8 sizer on my finger easily but I am worried it will be too small at times. The little metal rings of the sizer are so thin it is easy for it to be comfortable when I get it all the way on but it seems like a thicker band, or an e-ring and a wedding band would be different. I wear my current 8.5 ring all the time (it is a thin band) and a lot of the time it spins and is loose, especially this time of year because of the cold weather, but in the summer and when I am running around and hot it can be pretty tight. It never hurts but it is a thin band and I know when my fingers are swollen it is harder to get on and off. The jeweler said I should go ahead and get an 8 because engagement rings are top heaving and it may spin if its a little big but I am worried that it won''t fit right. I feel like an 8 may be too small in hot weather and an 8.5 will be too big in cooler weather. I live in NJ so I deal with both and don''t want to have my ring slipping an sliding sometimes or cutting off my circulation at other times. I have very little jewelry buying experience so I was wondering if any of you have had the same problem and what your did or if you can offer your opinion of which you think would be the best bet. Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your advice!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there,

I was having the same dilemma and wrote about it in another thread. I ultimately decided to get a half size bigger than what my "real" size is, due to the swelling I also experience in my fingers during the summer and when I work out. If you are afraid that an 8 will feel too tight when you are running or get hot, then it probably will be. I made this very mistake with my first wedding ring that I have now, and I currently have a hard time wearing it in the heat because it is 6mm wide and a 3.75, just like my e-ring, but when my fingers swell I can hardly get it off. The worst that could happen getting the ring a half size bigger is that you might want to have them put in the little sizing balls or something to keep it slightly tighter when you''re cold. It''s easier to find a way to keep a ring on than freaking out and fighting to get it off... which happened to me just last week. So I say get the 8.5, because it leaves you room to "grow" in the future, lol.

*M*

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
poptart, thanks for the advice! Do you happen to know if it is possible to get quarter sizes? The ring sizer didn''t have them but that seems to me like that would be the best solution. I don''t even know if that is done... Also, I have seen people mention sizing balls in their rings but I am not familiar with them, what exactly are they?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just so you know, it is possible to get quarter sizes...maybe compromise and go for an 8.25? That''s what I did and it''s working out so far. It''s a bit loose now (not enough to spin around too much, though) but I bet once summer rolls around it will be just fine.

And I definitely think sizer rings are misleading because they are so thin!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2, thanks for the recommendation. I definately think the ring sizer gives the wrong impression. If I had tried a little I wouldn''t be surprised if I could have gotten a 7.5 on, it wouldn''t have been pretty getting it off but I could have done it. Once I get it over the thickest part of my finger the ring sizer is so thin it easily feels comfortable but when I think of how much thicker an e-ring band and a wedding band will be I can''t imagine it.

My problem is that my finger between the knuckle and the base of my finger is .... meaty??? LOL I don''t know how else to explain it, although that sounds horrible. My fingers have always been like that and it must run in the family because my Mom and sister are the same way.

Will any company size a ring to a quarter size? I think an 8.25 would be a perfect compromise. I certainly wouldn''t want to have to get my engagement ring resized right after getting it, I wouldn''t want to let it go!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sizing balls are small balls of metal that a jeweler attaches to the inside of a ring. Usually two I believe. They are used when people have large knuckles or if a ring is too big but isn''t able to be sized, like an eternity band. I think they''re relatively easy to get put in and taken off, too.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think any jeweler should be able to do quarter sizes.

And I feel you about sending the ring back...I had to do it right after I got mine and it was so painful! Luckily I was going out of town for a few days so that made it a bit more bearable. Of course I saw like 20 people I don''t usually see once I came back and I had no ring to show them!
8.gif

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 12:08:41 AM
Author: thing2of2
I think any jeweler should be able to do quarter sizes.

And I feel you about sending the ring back...I had to do it right after I got mine and it was so painful! Luckily I was going out of town for a few days so that made it a bit more bearable. Of course I saw like 20 people I don''t usually see once I came back and I had no ring to show them!
8.gif
That stinks! That would be my luck too! I think that 8.25 might be the perfect solution and if it was still a little on the big side then I could have the sizing balls done... plus if the sizing balls can be removed as well then maybe when I have kids I can have them taken out and won''t have the issues that I know some women have with their rings being too small and not being able to wear them while they were pregnant.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 12:05:49 AM
Author: candlelite80
thing2of2, thanks for the recommendation. I definately think the ring sizer gives the wrong impression. If I had tried a little I wouldn''t be surprised if I could have gotten a 7.5 on, it wouldn''t have been pretty getting it off but I could have done it. Once I get it over the thickest part of my finger the ring sizer is so thin it easily feels comfortable but when I think of how much thicker an e-ring band and a wedding band will be I can''t imagine it.

My problem is that my finger between the knuckle and the base of my finger is .... meaty??? LOL I don''t know how else to explain it, although that sounds horrible. My fingers have always been like that and it must run in the family because my Mom and sister are the same way.

Will any company size a ring to a quarter size? I think an 8.25 would be a perfect compromise. I certainly wouldn''t want to have to get my engagement ring resized right after getting it, I wouldn''t want to let it go!
My fingers are meaty at the bottom, too. Some call it tapered...
20.gif
but they just look chubby to me at the base. Any company should be able to do an 8.25 and some will even do like, and 8.25 "tight" or "loose" depending on what you want. If you get an 8.25 tight, it will just be a little bit tighter than a standard 8.25. I am ordering my wedding band in a 4.25 tight, to accommodate for some extra swelling, like I said, but also so that my ring doesn''t fall off when I''m cold. Sending a ring back after you get it and wear it is torture, and if you can avoid it, I recommend it.

*M*

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i knew what size my finger was but i had to get mine resized from a 9 to a 8.5......the diffrence was so much bigger than i thought....my ring no longer slides around and it stays put comfortably...i would recommend going maybe a quaterzie bigger rather then a half size especially iif youll be wearing you band and e-ring at the same time...my finger get chunky if i wear more than one at a time....

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelers can pretty much do any size you want. Quarter sizes, eighth sizes.. it really doesn''t matter. You just have to find out which size is best for you with relation to the width of your band, and go from there. It looks like you''re probably an 8.25.

You don''t want an 8 because if your ring currently is a 8.5 and it''s TIGHT, imagine what an 8 will feel like. You''ll have to stick your hands in ice just to get it off.

Sizing balls are obviously another option.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 12:37:57 AM
Author: emilina22
i knew what size my finger was but i had to get mine resized from a 9 to a 8.5......the diffrence was so much bigger than i thought....my ring no longer slides around and it stays put comfortably...i would recommend going maybe a quaterzie bigger rather then a half size especially iif youll be wearing you band and e-ring at the same time...my finger get chunky if i wear more than one at a time....
emilina, I agree I think I will go with the 8.25, I will be wearing the two rings together and I don''t want to make my finger look mangled and squished after I have both of them on together. Thanks for the advice.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 12:42:13 AM
Author: curiopotter
Jewelers can pretty much do any size you want. Quarter sizes, eighth sizes.. it really doesn''t matter. You just have to find out which size is best for you with relation to the width of your band, and go from there. It looks like you''re probably an 8.25.

You don''t want an 8 because if your ring currently is a 8.5 and it''s TIGHT, imagine what an 8 will feel like. You''ll have to stick your hands in ice just to get it off.

Sizing balls are obviously another option.
curiopotter, thanks for your input. The ring I am wearing right now is slipping and sliding around since it is chilly tonight but I guarentee (sp?) after I workout tomorrow it will be snug and even worse after I take a shower... so I think 8.25 is a good choice. This ring I have on now is an 8.5 with a thin band but I know I don''t want my engagement ring to be sliding around ever. I know if it does I will always be worried it will slip off when I am cold so I think I would prefer it be a little more snug than loose. I hope that 8.25 fits well, I have a good feeling about it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I had the same dilemma.

My placeholder ring that I''m wearing now is a 7 and is very loose most of the time, except when I have been doing something particularly active and my fingers have swelled a bit.

I tried on a whole load of rings in Tiffany for fun and they were so comfortable and were a size 6. The e-ring that is being made should be the same width as the tiffany rings - around 3mm and I asked to have it rounded on the inside. The one I wear now is 5mm wide.

I went for the 6 in the end as I hate wearing a loose ring. My fingers are like yours - the base is wider than the knuckle, so it''s easier to lose things that don''t fit properly. I''m hoping that the 6 won''t be too small when it arrives!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I had the same problem and I got a 5 and 3/4 for my e-ring even though I was sized for a 5.5. I was afraid of it sliding. For my wedding band, because I bought it on the spot at a B&M, I got a 6 and put sizing balls in (it slides and spins a little but not too much because my e-ring is tighter on top of it). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results