shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about resetting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Poodley

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody!

I''m new here so take it easy please . Since it seems that everybody is so helpfull around here, I was wondering if somebody could help me with a problem. I just got engaged and my ring is set in a temporary setting. After looking around for a few weeks, I finally found the perfect setting. It''s a Scott Kay setting but the problem is that the only place that I found that would actually set my diamond onto the Scott Kay setting is about three hours away. Per chance, I have to be in that city for a few days and so I can get it set at that time. However I''m afraid of this because of the chance that the setter will chip my diamond since it has a thin girdle (something like 1.0 to 1.6%). Should I be worried? What happens if it does chip? Does anyone know if insurance typically covers this sort of thing since the diamond wouldn''t actually be lost or stolen?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Normally the jeweler doing the work should have coverage for damage while on their premises. Let them know your concerns and have them check out the girdle to make sure they are comfortable settng it. Chances are slim it will chip but best to discuss the possibility. Cindy

chicagogal

Rough_Rock
HI!

I don't have an answer but rather a further question... if a corner did get chipped, would a person definitely know? Most posts I see on this issue are from people finding out about it only upon resetting their stone.

I just received my ring 3 weeks ago. Princess w/ a thin girdle. It was fine for a week, then the stone became a bit loose. I couldn't see it move, but when you tap on it or set it on a counter it makes that ticking noise and you know it's loose. I took it in to get it tightened and when it came back, it was still making the same noise.

Question is -- why is this happening? Simply poor setting or could it be that a corner is chipped?? And what should I do? It's a quality store that has been doing the work. And I really don't want to pay to take it elsewhere. Sigh!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
The bench jeweler may be a little cautious about putting too much pressure on the stone when tightening it which may result in a chip. It may also not be seated properly from th eoriginal setting. Because it is rattling around doesn't mean it is chipped. I think they would have noticed that when you brought it in the first time. Bring it back in and have them attempt the tightening again. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results