shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about raising diamond in setting

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone

I have included a picture of my beautiful, low profile, engagement ring. It is platinum. Would it be possible for my jeweler to extend the prongs and raise the diamond so that it is not so low set? I Love the practicality, and LOVE the phenomenal setting and wouldn't want to compromise it in anyway, but I feel like if the diamond were raised just a tad, it would look a little more present against my wedding band. what do you guys think?

20140422_163741.jpg

20150320_164225-1.jpg

img_0332__1_.jpg

img_789_0.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a stunning ring! I too have a princess which I love, and am a fan of lower-profile settings. I think that your ring has perfect proportions and if you raise the diamond in the setting it may spoil the lovely proportions from the profile view. I'm also not sure it will achieve what you are hoping - in terms of emphasising the princess diamond more. I think that your e-ring wont sit flush against your wedding band (if that is part of your concern) regardless of the height of the diamond because of the design at the base of the basket holding the centre stone. That said, I think your set looks beautiful and if it was mine I wouldnt change a thing about it! :)

WBPF

Rough_Rock
Agree with diamondhoarder 100%. Beautiful rings!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if it's possible to raise the stone but I think it's perfect the way it is. I like where the horizontal bars hit and it seems that that part of the basket is where the stone is resting. I also prefer lower set stones.

Do the stones on the band rub against the stones on the basket?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful the way it is. Lots of presence!

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone!

I know the band wont sit flush with my ering and I like the way they look but since the diamond is set so low I just feel like it would have a bit more presence if it sits above the width of the wedding band if that makes sense? I don't want to compromise the structural integrity of the ring , was just wondering if it were possible to raise it. thank you all for your input ! thinking about just letting it be :think:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, it is possible to raise your diamond in it's setting. It's probably not a very good idea though and certainly not inexpensive. To raise the diamond the prongs would generally be cut off below the stone seats and prong extensions welded on using a laser welder. Then new seats would be cut at a higher level and the stone reset. Doing this without a laser welder is possible, but one can't use a high temperature platinum type solder around all that melee or you'd burn some of them. Using a lower temperature solder never quite works out very well as there's always a color and hardness difference, so a line will show at the join after polishing. The moral, it's a lot of work with a very small improvement...I'd leave it as is if it were me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't change it.
Two reasons.
It's stunning as is.
Messing with it is not going to make the setting any stronger and a diamond that sticks out more is more likely to bang on things.

My diamond was expensive and is precious to me, so I want my setting to be as strong as possible.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy a different band. I love your ring and would not modify it. But I'm not too crazy about how your band looks with it. I would alternate bands and that way, when you are in the mood to see your stone more prominently, you can pair it with a flat band or plain band. But please don't change your gorgeous setting.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1444179372|3935608 said:
Yes, it is possible to raise your diamond in it's setting. It's probably not a very good idea though and certainly not inexpensive. To raise the diamond the prongs would generally be cut off below the stone seats and prong extensions welded on using a laser welder. Then new seats would be cut at a higher level and the stone reset. Doing this without a laser welder is possible, but one can't use a high temperature platinum type solder around all that melee or you'd burn some of them. Using a lower temperature solder never quite works out very well as there's always a color and hardness difference, so a line will show at the join after polishing. The moral, it's a lot of work with a very small improvement...I'd leave it as is if it were me.

Michael: It looks as if the diamond "rests" on the horizontal bars. Is this not the case? Would it be possible to raise the diamond lengthening (adding to) the struts between the band and the horizontal part of the basket? Not that this would be easier or less expensive, of course....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I think it looks gorgeous the way it is! In my mind, I wouldnt change a thing!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would be better to have the wedding ring re-shaped to fit around the engagement ring rather than try to alter the height of the main diamond. That likely would be a disaster with all the little diamonds underneath needing to stay securely set. I would not recommend trying to alter it in that way. To do such a job would really need a re-make of the engagement ring from scratch if you want to avoid compromising it "in any way".

On the other hand, you could make the wedding ring have a shallow U shape at the top in order to go around the largest part of the engagement ring rather than under it. Over time, the way it is, the setting metal on the little stones under the main diamond will be rubbed away and the small diamonds will likely get loose or eventually fall out where the contact with the wedding ring will wear away at it. Making the wedding ring fit the engagement ring and possibly attaching them together to prevent wearing on eachother may be a worthwhile design alteration that won't compromise the integrity of the design or long term wearability.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Michael_E|1444179372|3935608 said:

wow that was incredibly technical and helpful. Thank you Michael E and thank you to everyone else who took the time to respond to my post! It seems like it isn't as simple as I thought and I definitely don't want to mess up my beautiful eRing! (my friend had recommended the idea and told me that my jeweler could do it in a half hour- while I wait! I thought that was a little suspect, I'm glad I sought the advice of the pricescope community!) I also like the idea of getting a different wedding band, thank you for the idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results