shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about metal color and stone color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
My fiance is letting me pick out my ring. I have been in the process of educating myself. I have a question about stone color/metal color combos. I know I will end up with a white gold or platinum setting and was wondering if I should take into consideration the color of stone? Do certain stones look better or worse in different metals? Also does anyone know anything about white gold vs. platinum when it come to wear and durability. Someone told me that white gold does not scratch as easily. Is there any truth to that? 14k vs 18? Should I take that into consideration as well?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladyj,

Run a search for topics around your questions. They come up periodically, and there has been some good expert info presented. You'd be better off reading the originals than having me try to paraphrase, but the net net is that the different metals have different characteristics and looks, so you should read a little and decide what is right for you. Good luck
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The color of a diamond for white metal really depends on several factors. The quality of the make,... Cut. The better the cut, the whiter and brighter a diamond faces up. The color of the diamond rough. Some rough shows much more color than other rough. Your personal color perception. Your eyes are your eyes. We can't tell you what you will or won't see. You really need to compare diamonds in person to find your personal comfort zone.

I have a J color diamond set in platinum that is white and bright. Partly because of the cut,.... an A Cut Above from White Flash, Super Ideal, Hearts and Arrows. Partly because of the rough,.... a steely blue color. Because the J color worked well in platinum, I was able to get a larger diamond for less money. I and J color diamonds can provide great bang for the buck.

White gold versus Platinum. That can be an issue of personal preference as well. Some people say plat scuffs easier, but that has not been my personal experience. Platinum is heavier, more dense, more durable, and more expensive. White gold is less expensive, more forgiving, and easier to cast. White gold will need periodic maintenance to retain the white look. White gold is yellow gold alloyed with other metals to give a white appearance. Rhodium flashing helps to maintain the white look. Some people have problems with different metals (usually Nickel) used to alloy white gold and develope contact dermatitis. Platinum is hypo-allergenic.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results