shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about LOGR stone sizes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at a couple of their settings and am just wondering about the stone that can fit into it. For example, if it''s made for an oval stone and it states 7x5mm, can it be slightly under or over that measurement or does it have to be precisely 7x5mm??

mimi

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Lauren's tourmaline was a little under the stated dimensions for her setting. The setting I ordered was supposed to accommodate a 6-6.5mm stone in the bezel. However, my jeweler used calipers to measure the inside diameter and she said the stone had to be 6.2mm or under. Prongs may be a more forgiving.

I would err on the side of having the setting be a bit larger than the stone especially if it's a gemstone, because they are usually cut very deep.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 3:55:59 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
Lauren''s tourmaline was a little under the stated dimensions for her setting. The setting I ordered was supposed to accommodate a 6-6.5mm stone in the bezel. However, my jeweler used calipers to measure the inside diameter and she said the stone had to be 6.2mm or under. Prongs may be a more forgiving.

I would err on the side of having the setting be a bit larger than the stone especially if it''s a gemstone, because they are usually cut very deep.

That makes sense. I was looking for a stone that had the specific size and it''s a bit difficult, although I''m enjoying surfing and looking at all the lovely colored gems!
emotion-5.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, the dreamy gem hunt! I''m in the same boat, but usually do things the other way around - gem first, the setting. We''ll see how it goes this time! I might try some custom cuts. Is that something you''re interested in too?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Like the precision gems and Jeff white stones??? GOSH, they are to die for!! I was also looking at concave gems...I''m thinking about getting one from them. DROOL!!
26.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
But for me the question is.... setting then the gems or gems then the setting?????
emdgust.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results