shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about lighting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

readyandwilling

Rough_Rock
Hi,
How does the different types of lighting that you may be viewing diamonds under affect the brilliance or sparkle of the diamand?

I understand that the lighting in a jewelry store tends to enhance the brilliance or sparkle. What is it about this lighting that does this?

Also, is there a type of lighting that may have the reverse effect?

What about under a lamp that has a bulb that is supposed to simulate daylight? or a fourescent bulb?
Thanks!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Check out this recent Price Scope thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jewelers-lighting-whats-the-secret.9875/

Gosh I wish I knew how to do the links!
15.gif

You really need to view diamonds in lighting you will be living in to get a true idea of performance. Candlelight is a great indicator of performance. In a completely dark room lit only by candle(s), see if the diamond sparkles and fires. That it the lowest level of light much like theaters and restaurants during romantic dinners.
2.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Let me draw you a parallel.

We have all seen the Makeup merrors with the lights that change when you turn the knob. The colors in your face change as you change the lighting.

The same goes for diamonds. If you change the lighting, you will change the way the diamond looks. In my opinion, high noon, direct, strong sunlight is one of the least complimentary to diamonds. An elevator with many small bulbs in the overhead will give you some serious sparkle.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a bunch of previous posts on this same subject--run an archive advanced search...basically any lighting situation you can take your ring into will change how it looks. Imagine all the different types of lights you are in all day....your ring will look different in all of them. Some are very cool, some don't really flatter the stone, direct sunlight in particular in my opinion.
1.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are two basic types of lighting, flourescent and incandescent. Incandescent is the light from a flame, candlelight, firelight, lightbulb light. This type of lighting can be condensed into a beam, spotlight! Anytime a concentrated beam is directed at a diamond or other faceted stone it will increase the brilliance. Obviously this is limited by the power of the beam and the ability of the gem to return refracted light to the eye. Diffused light by contrast directs light in all directions. A well cut gem will still sparkle but its ability to do so is limited by the amount of light energy directed toward it perpendicular to the table of the gem.

Different types of light burn at different temperatures and are, in fact differnt colors as well. Incandescent is basically yellow light, candlelight enters the reddish range. Flourescent light can be tuned to almost any color but is normally bluer than incandescent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results