shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about inclusions increasing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read on the forums before that a feather in a diamond can sometimes grow larger if the stone is knocked. Can reflective internal graining grow larger also or does it remain the same forever; when the stone stops growing in the ground? It is just that reflective internal graining can sometimes look a bit like a feather under high magnification.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing in a diamond rally grows. Damage, while relatively rare, may occur in any diamond whether it began as Flawless or I3. Damage may occur because of inherent weakness or strain in a diamond which is probably more common in stones with larger clarity issues rather than in stones with VVS sized problems.

Graining does not directly lead to any sort of durability problem. Truthfully, a feather is not much of a durability problem, either. Diamonds can take quite a lot of abuse and daily wear.

Inclusions and blemishes which reach and break the surface of a diamond are more fragile than closed inclusions, as a general rule. Of course, rules are made to be broken, so exceptions occur from time to time.

This is why so many people buy a diamond and insure it. Then the burden of a future, unlikely, but possible, event is covered by an insurance company. If they lost money with these policies the rates would increase or they would eliminate coverage. The rates on jewelry insurance have been very stable for years, so their experience bears out the fact that there is not a situation which is truly problematic.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Oldminer.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to clarify something else and have been looking for the previous post on the subject but cannot find it. I read here once a post about a cavity where a crystal had been pulled from the surface and the customer was advised by someone (not sure if it was one of the experts or not) that as the diamond had formed around the crystal the cavity would not break any further as the diamond's crystal building blocks were whole around the previous crystal inclusion and did not have a fracture. This is what I was wondering about reflective internal graining. Is the diamond graining sealed by the diamond growing around it or is it more like a feather and still has a break in the structure around it?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
/

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(bump)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Bump, Last Try)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/13/2003 7:30:43 AM oldminer wrote:

Inclusions and blemishes which reach and break the surface of a diamond are more fragile than closed inclusions, as a general rule. ----------------

I am surprised blemishes are fragile as I thought they were very very tiny. What type of blemish is this like cavity, nick, pit or something else or them all?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(bump) Oldminer?

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Someone help this lady.....I feel like I am at a dance club....

All this gratuitous bumping going on

wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results