shape
carat
color
clarity

question about ideal cut diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all. I'm curious...if it is in fact true that 'well-cut diamonds reflect light from the top of the stone' like it is often said here, then why do even well-cut diamonds go slightly darker when they are bezeled or the pavilion is covered up? Anyone know? I have seen ideal cut diamonds go darker in both a bezel and a halo setting.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of topics around at the moment talk about steep/deep and obstructed stones, which may still fall within the high cut grades.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2009 11:00:32 AM
Author:Laila619
Hi all. I''m curious...if it is in fact true that ''well-cut diamonds reflect light from the top of the stone'' like it is often said here, then why do even well-cut diamonds go slightly darker when they are bezeled or the pavilion is covered up? Anyone know? I have seen ideal cut diamonds go darker in both a bezel and a halo setting.

Not all ''ideal cut'' diamonds are created equal...

Some people refer to a round brilliant ideal cut diamond with a total depth of 62.4% and a table diameter of 58% with a 35.3 degree crown angle which is offset by a pavilion angle of 41.2 degrees with a thin to slightly thick girdle "ideal cut" and other people like myself would consider it a tragedy and opt for something more precise like 61.2% / 56% / 34.5 / 40.8 / thin to medium... and the difference between the two diamonds both mounted and unmounted would be obvious.

A few years ago I pushed a center range / super ideal cut diamond down into mud to demonstrate to a client how it was not necessary for light to be able to enter the diamond through the pavilion in order for a super ideal cut diamond to be beautiful... The diamond picked up the color of the mud, but it was sparkly as ever! The client purchased the diamond...

Head obstruction is definitely a factor with all diamonds.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 12:28:11 PM
Author: Todd Gray

A few years ago I pushed a center range / super ideal cut diamond down into mud to demonstrate to a client how it was not necessary for light to be able to enter the diamond through the pavilion in order for a super ideal cut diamond to be beautiful
Oh Todd...
36.gif
9.gif
36.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Todd, how funny!
10.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread.

Todd (or anyone),

Then why is my diamond''s performance so negatively affected when I get a built-up stubborn film on the pav??! It''s an AGS-0 RB, a beautiful stone; Rich has appraised it and gave it a rave report. I can post images or stats of it if that would help.

??? *shrugs!*

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2009 6:50:12 PM
Author: Lynn B
Interesting thread.

Todd (or anyone),

Then why is my diamond's performance so negatively affected when I get a built-up stubborn film on the pav??! It's an AGS-0 RB, a beautiful stone; Rich has appraised it and gave it a rave report. I can post images or stats of it if that would help.

??? *shrugs!*
Because a film on the pavilion actually changes the refractive index of the stone - in effect it is no longer a diamond.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 7:24:19 PM
Author: John Pollard

Date: 11/19/2009 6:50:12 PM
Interesting thread.

Todd (or anyone),

Then why is my diamond's performance so negatively affected when I get a built-up stubborn film on the pav??! It's an AGS-0 RB, a beautiful stone; Rich has appraised it and gave it a rave report. I can post images or stats of it if that would help.

??? *shrugs!*
Because a film on the pavilion actually changes the refractive index of the stone - in effect it is no longer a diamond.
Sir John,

So nice to see you! Always a pleasure to meet up with you in a thread!
35.gif

So... OK... but I don't understand what you mean!
33.gif
If a diamond still sparkles and performs when it's caked with MUD
23.gif
, but pretty much goes DEAD with a film over the pavilion... how can that be?

And what *IS* it, then, if it is "in effect no longer a diamond"? More like a piece of window glass, do you mean? And if so, why not when it's caked with mud?!

(Obviously I am obsessing over Todd's MUD story!!!)
2.gif
But I am genuinely perplexed!

THANK YOU!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2009 7:54:46 PM

Sir John,
So nice to see you! Always a pleasure to meet up with you in a thread!
35.gif

So... OK... but I don't understand what you mean!
33.gif
If a diamond still sparkles and performs when it's caked with MUD
23.gif
, but pretty much goes DEAD with a film over the pavilion... how can that be?

And what *IS* it, then, if it is 'in effect no longer a diamond'? More like a piece of window glass, do you mean? And if so, why not when it's caked with mud?!

(Obviously I am obsessing over Todd's MUD story!!!)
2.gif
But I am genuinely perplexed!

THANK YOU!
Hi M'Lady Lynn. Always well met! :)

I'm sure you know diamonds attract grease. In fact "grease belts" were used for years to separate diamonds from other minerals...the crushed ore would be run over a greasy belt and the diamond rough would stick to it while other ore did not.

The problem for diamond-lovers is that a greasy diamond perfoms differently. When a film of grease is on the surface the dynamic of light passing through changes; in effect the RI differences increase the critical angle and allow more light to escape at every surface interaction. A greasy crown or greasy pavilion makes light transit from diamond's RI of 2.417 to an RI of 1.400-1.520 (most oils) instead of an RI of 1.000 (air). The problem is obvious coming through a greasy crown - and even on the pavilion the critical angle is changed so light that would have previously reflected back to later exit the crown toward the observer now has a higher chance of escaping through the pavilion facets.

As for Todd's mud demonstration I can't say. Maybe Todd lives near clean, non-greasy mud?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 9:33:59 PM

Hi M''Lady Lynn. Always well met! :)

I''m sure you know diamonds attract grease. In fact ''grease belts'' were used for years to separate diamonds from other minerals...the crushed ore would be run over a greasy belt and the diamond rough would stick to it while other ore did not.

The problem for diamond-lovers is that a greasy diamond perfoms differently. When a film of grease is on the surface the dynamic of light passing through changes; in effect the RI differences increase the critical angle and allow more light to escape at every surface interaction. A greasy crown or greasy pavilion makes light transit from diamond''s RI of 2.417 to an RI of 1.400-1.520 (most oils) instead of an RI of 1.000 (air). The problem is obvious coming through a greasy crown - and even on the pavilion the critical angle is changed so light that would have previously reflected back to later exit the crown toward the observer now has a higher chance of escaping through the pavilion facets.

As for Todd''s mud demonstration I can''t say. Maybe Todd lives near clean, non-greasy mud?
How interesting, John! As always, many thanks!

Well, the chronic pavilion film finally wore me down, and that was the driving force behind my current reset project. That beautiful fishtail pave just couldn''t go in the ultrasonic, and my cleaning concoctions and a soft toothbrush just weren''t cutting it. (Haha, no pun intended). Rich said he had to run the unset diamond through the ultrasonic several times AND scrub it with a toothbrush to remove the film!!!

We *think* the culprit may be the heavy duty liquid anti-bacterial hand soap that I have to wash my hands with dozens of times a day at the hospital. Have you ever heard of such a thing?!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/20/2009 5:34:58 PM

We *think* the culprit may be the heavy duty liquid anti-bacterial hand soap that I have to wash my hands with dozens of times a day at the hospital. Have you ever heard of such a thing?!
I''ve heard about the alleged "evils" of triclosan - but not in-association with leaving a film.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 7:00:08 PM

I''ve heard about the alleged ''evils'' of triclosan - but not in-association with leaving a film.
Hmmm? Do you have any other ideas of what that film could have been? Besides the hospital soap, I don''t think I get into anything that anyone else doesn''t get into!!!
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 9:00:01 PM

Date: 11/20/2009 7:00:08 PM

I''ve heard about the alleged ''evils'' of triclosan - but not in-association with leaving a film.
Hmmm? Do you have any other ideas of what that film could have been? Besides the hospital soap, I don''t think I get into anything that anyone else doesn''t get into!!!
33.gif
Is it a chlorhexidine / Hibitane soap you use Lynn? The pink scrub?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 5:47:37 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/20/2009 9:00:01 PM

33.gif
Is it a chlorhexidine / Hibitane soap you use Lynn? The pink scrub?
Lorelei,
It''s Bacti-stat AE, evil green stuff!

BactiStatAE.jpg

rockabee

Rough_Rock

I''m sure you know diamonds attract grease. In fact ''grease belts'' were used for years to separate diamonds from other minerals...the crushed ore would be run over a greasy belt and the diamond rough would stick to it while other ore did not.

The problem for diamond-lovers is that a greasy diamond perfoms differently. When a film of grease is on the surface the dynamic of light passing through changes; in effect the RI differences increase the critical angle and allow more light to escape at every surface interaction. A greasy crown or greasy pavilion makes light transit from diamond''s RI of 2.417 to an RI of 1.400-1.520 (most oils) instead of an RI of 1.000 (air). The problem is obvious coming through a greasy crown - and even on the pavilion the critical angle is changed so light that would have previously reflected back to later exit the crown toward the observer now has a higher chance of escaping through the pavilion facets.

As for Todd''s mud demonstration I can''t say. Maybe Todd lives near clean, non-greasy mud?
i''m a little confused by this. if light enters the crown and there is a film, i can see how the refractive index is changed and everything goes askew. but if the crown is clean, light enters the crown, how does a film on the pavilion affect the refractive index of the diamond since light inside the diamond is bouncing back into it (vs. light which escapes needs to go through the pavilion film)? or does the film actually change the level of refraction even of light reflecting in the diamond?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I also have to use this evil stuff, and it''s actually probably the WORST culprit, because it''s a "hand sanitizer", it doesn''t even get rinsed off.
14.gif

Purell_Foam_Ugh.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/23/2009 8:19:01 PM
Author: rockabee

i''m a little confused by this. if light enters the crown and there is a film, i can see how the refractive index is changed and everything goes askew. but if the crown is clean, light enters the crown, how does a film on the pavilion affect the refractive index of the diamond since light inside the diamond is bouncing back into it (vs. light which escapes needs to go through the pavilion film)? or does the film actually change the level of refraction even of light reflecting in the diamond?
Exactly. The critical angle depends on the RI values of the various surfaces through which light rays are passing. Whether air-grease-diamond or diamond-grease-air the critical angle is changed so more light escapes at every surface interaction than if it was air-diamond or diamond-air.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lynn - and knowing the level of "perish the thought!" I may get from you as a bling-purist I hesitate to even suggest this, but - have you considered a safebox at work with a plain band you can swap out while you are in the trenches?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 5:50:27 PM

Lynn - and knowing the level of 'perish the thought!' I may get from you as a bling-purist I hesitate to even suggest this, but - have you considered a safebox at work with a plain band you can swap out while you are in the trenches?
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

*loud, pathetic, wracking sobs till hiccups take over*

Oh John, I know! Your suggestion makes perfect sense, doesn't it? I'll be the first to admit it. Just. Don't. Wear. It. (Stoopid!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

And believe me, I have considered it. That's why my reset project with BGD will include a simple, plain platinum wedding band.

But (as you know!
1.gif
) I can hardly stand the thoughts of NOT wearing my diamond -- I just ENJOY it so much! And taking it on and off all day would really be a challenge because I am almost ALWAYS "in the trenches"! Consistently, all day long, except maybe for lunch or meetings and a little time in the office catching up or charting. And work is also the biggest part of my day, and so I would be NOT wearing my stone more than I would be wearing it... and that seems like a shame.
8.gif
Uh oh... *tears welling up again...*
39.gif
(
2.gif
)

So that leaves one question, I guess, then... there's no long-term HARM to a diamond, is there, by being coated daily with that evil junk and then it being cleaned or ultrasonic'ed off every night???! I *think* I know the answer to that, but humor me, please!!!
40.gif
Sir!!!

Thank you!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/24/2009 8:00:33 PM

... But (as you know!
1.gif
) I can hardly stand the thoughts of NOT wearing my diamond -- I just ENJOY it so much! And taking it on and off all day would really be a challenge because I am almost ALWAYS 'in the trenches'! ...
Predictable answer my lady. But I care about your moth-wings and am trying to help you stay un-burned, even though the flame is sooo pretty.

Seriously though, you know I'm a drummer I think, and my wedding ring is the first success I've had with hand-and-wrist jewelry. I can't tell you how many rings and watches (none heirlooms, thankfully) were lost over the span of my younger practice and performance years. I can't drum with jewelry on, so it would come off and be set on the music stand, guitar amp, trap-table, studio carpet, glove box of car etc. I finally gave up.

In married life I make a practice of ONLY setting my ring in one of two places if I take it off. One is the ringbox on my dresser at home. The other is in my billfold when away. So far it's a solid system. If you ever do have to go to a "take it off" strategy I suggest ONLY one place to do so. Knowing you, that may never happen of course
2.gif

So that leaves one question, I guess, then... there's no long-term HARM to a diamond, is there, by being coated daily with that evil junk and then it being cleaned or ultrasonic'ed off every night???!
Not to Mr. Moh 10 diamond, no. Rock the US. But the setting needs to be considered. Even a WG setting could have the rhodium worn down by obsessive ultrasonic use. For a solid platinum setting without micropave or other tiny diamonds you should be fine.

Come to think of it, I could US my setting and diamond far more than I do. Sounds like a job for the Mrs.
10.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 8:23:03 PM

Predictable answer my lady. But I care about your moth-wings and am trying to help you stay un-burned, even though the flame is sooo pretty.

Seriously though, you know I''m a drummer I think, and my wedding ring is the first success I''ve had with hand-and-wrist jewelry. I can''t tell you how many rings and watches (none heirlooms, thankfully) were lost over the span of my younger practice and performance years. I can''t drum with jewelry on, so it would come off and be set on the music stand, guitar amp, trap-table, studio carpet, glove box of car etc. I finally gave up.

In married life I make a practice of ONLY setting my ring in one of two places if I take it off. One is the ringbox on my dresser at home. The other is in my billfold when away. So far it''s a solid system. If you ever do have to go to a ''take it off'' strategy I suggest ONLY one place to do so. Knowing you, that may never happen of course
2.gif

So that leaves one question, I guess, then... there''s no long-term HARM to a diamond, is there, by being coated daily with that evil junk and then it being cleaned or ultrasonic''ed off every night???!
Not to Mr. Moh 10 diamond, no. Rock the US. But the setting needs to be considered. Even a WG setting could have the rhodium worn down by obsessive ultrasonic use. For a solid platinum setting without micropave or other tiny diamonds you should be fine.

Come to think of it, I could US my setting and diamond far more than I do. Sounds like a job for the Mrs.
10.gif
Thanks for the good advice, my friend. I appreciate your having my wings... er, I mean my BACK!
2.gif

Well, this issue really was the driving force behind the in-progress reset. With the fishtail pave setting, I just couldn''t keep my center stone clean enough. The new setting will be platinum, there''ll be no micropave or tiny diamonds, and thanks to BGD, I''m sure it''ll be solid!
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Lynn, here''s another suggestion that you''ve no doubt already considered and rejected: Could you wear it on a sturdy chain around your neck when you need sterile hands?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 9:46:38 PM
Author: glitterata
Lynn, here''s another suggestion that you''ve no doubt already considered and rejected: Could you wear it on a sturdy chain around your neck when you need sterile hands?
Yes, I have thought about that... it''s actually what my hair stylist does. But I just don''t think it''s *me*.
But thank you so much for the suggestion! I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results