shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about girdle...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
hello everyone,

My ring''s girdle is laser inscribed, and with my 10x loupe I have noticed that 2 characters on the girdle are gone... It looked smudged or possibly chipped
8.gif
I can feel the chip with my finger nails....

I went back to the place where my bf originally got the ring because they have a life-time diamond warranty which if the diamond is chipped, they have to replace the stone for free... I have spoke to the store manager and also the regional manager , they couldn''t find or see the chipped spot with their 10x loupe and neither with their goldsmith tools. They told me to wait until Feb since they will have a GG come in for appraisal and check-ups with his professional tools. If the GG actually find the chipped spot on the girdle, then they will take a pic of it as a prove. The problem is, they are claiming that they may not find a replacement stone with the same quality as my diamond if my diamond is chipped.
angryfire.gif

My question is, will this "little smudge" on my girdle get bigger? I love my e-ring a lot, and is there anyway to repolish the girdle so the "smudge" will go away?

Thank you so much!
1.gif

Grapegravity

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
dear cut nut:

thank you for the advice! I tried rubbing some black stuff on the girdle, and all the characters showed up except those 2... After looking at the diamond with 10x loupe again, now I'm pretty sure they r chip, a minor one tho I think. What worries me is that it looks like it's chipped on the edge where the girdle meets the one of those line that comes up from the bottom of the diamond (sorry, I don't know the exact term for it) and causing 2 character missing...
sad.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It does sometimes happen
sad.gif

There are 2 types of laser - hot and cold - and there is a big legal battle raging about who invented and patented what first.

The cold (Exemer) laser is also more expensive - but less likely to cause small chips on the girdle.

The nick can probably be polished out and it could be re engraved.

I suggest you send it to Dave Atlas (look in the appraiser section) - he has a number of lasers and has a repolishing service too.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Dear Cut Nut:

I live in canada, and I'll have to find out info on shipping the ring to penn. and also the charges on repolishing first before I make a decision...

Will the chip crack more in the future? Because if the chip is more visible under 10x, then it will get replace at no charge to me by the jeweller... But I REALLY like my diamond...
rolleyes.gif
what should I do?
8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results