shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about getting my E-ring appraised.

theyellowbox

Rough_Rock
I have a few questions about getting my solitaire E ring appraised.
I purchased a GIA certified diamond and would love to get it appraised for insurance purposes.
I have called some local jewelry stores and they said I would have to leave it there for 7-10 days which I do not feel comfortable doing.
Do all appraisals work that way? Or can they do it right in front of me. I would love to get it checked to see if the diamond matches its GIA report I have also. And the price of replacement for my insurance.
Do you guys recommend if I go to jewelry stores?
I looked on this site for a list of appraisers in Washington State but none is near me. Does anyone recommend where I go?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will answer your questions about the appraisal itself - and highlight the importance of the choosing the right appraiser/venue -
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamond_appraisers_why_you_need_one_and_what_expect
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what_independent_appraisal_and_benefit_securing_one

Hopefully some PSers will have local ideas for you, or if you are comfortable you can mail your ring to one of several reputable outfits, though of course it's preferable to be present for the appraisal so your appraiser can talk you through it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree- I would not want to wait that long for an appraisal.
Would your insurance company accept the bill of sale to bind the insurance?
I'm not saying you should not get the appraisal, for the reasons you suggest- but maybe you can get the insurance question handled quicker.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shop around. Most of my single item appraisals are done while the client waits and I know lots of other appraisers who do this as well. Find an appraiser who is doing the work themselves rather than farming it out to a subcontractor. Some good places to look are:

www.najaappraisers.com
www.appraisers.org
www.ags.org

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I'd suggest you go to an Independent appraisers. It only took like 30min to do mine and I was watching her the whole time. (she later did some research about the diamond price and e-mailed me the paper works few days later)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also took my 5 stone to an independent appraisers and they did it while I was there, it took about 30 mins....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results