shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about GCAL 8x and lab diamond evaluation

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been wondering about the value of an 8X certification from GCAL specifically in regards to lab diamonds. I know you have to vet lab diamonds carefully for stria and blue or brown undertones, regardless of the color or clarity grade. I was browsing on Adiamor and saw that a GCAL 8X diamond at around 2.5 carats and E VS1/2 is about half the price of one from Distinctive Gem. Does the GCAL certification offer any assurance in regards to stria or undertone or do you really still have to evaluate light performance and color as you would with any other non-vendor vetted stone?
Adiamor: https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/2.50-ct-E-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D50123587?rfr=search

DG: https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...-arrows-cut-private-reserve-lab-grown-diamond

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run them both through the HCA calculator...

eta: clarity is expensive

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Somehow I posted the wrong link for the Adiamor one.

It was supposed to be this one (GCAL cert): https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/2.50-ct-E-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D50180371?rfr=search
That one has a .6 HCA score.

The Distinctive Gem one has a 1.6. So can't eliminate one due to HCA score, I think? I know the more expensive one is VS1 and the cheaper one is VS2, but that is still a big difference in price. Just wondering how others would evaluate this given that they are both GCAL 8x. Another main difference is that Adiamor doesn't have an updgrade policy for their lab diamonds, and Distinctive Gem does.
More of a hypothetical since I just purchased a ring so am not in the market to purchase again right now!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are no notations as to the clarity characteristics on these LGD reports.
I see not enough to make this stone a vS2 and I think there is some haziness in the smaller virtual facets.
i suspect graining - ask the vendor for an opinion.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally see no need to further evaluate the light performance, but I'd definitely still get the stone checked for stria, undertone, or other issues.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Good advice. This is why I was more hesitant to buy from a vendor that had not thoroughly vetted the stone, but I admit the price difference here is very enticing. At lower carat weights the price difference was not this big, so it was an easier choice.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Good advice. This is why I was more hesitant to buy from a vendor that had not thoroughly vetted the stone, but I admit the price difference here is very enticing. At lower carat weights the price difference was not this big, so it was an easier choice.
I’m glad you asked because I’ve also been browsing adiamore for gcals and the pricing is excellent…

Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
It’s hard because I don’t know if the vendor would be able to adequately assess it without having the stone… So you would just have to order it and look at it yourself. And without an excellent example to compare it to, I’m not sure I would trust my own eyes. I would probably be tempted to try it though, if I were in the market for a 2.5 carat, because $7000 is quite a lot of money to save.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Jon has a couple 2.5 LGDs in stock with GCAL reports.

LGBR1865 - 2.5 D VS1 $8418
LGBR1723 - 2.54 F VS1 $7001

You can contact him and ask to see the reports and if he would consider them to be H&A diamonds...he, of course, has all the equipment on hand to fully vet them and provide you ASET and Ideal-Scope images.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Jon has a couple 2.5 LGDs in stock with GCAL reports.

LGBR1865 - 2.5 D VS1 $8418
LGBR1723 - 2.54 F VS1 $7001

You can contact him and ask to see the reports and if he would consider them to be H&A diamonds...he, of course, has all the equipment on hand to fully vet them and provide you ASET and Ideal-Scope images.
Interesting! Oh, I guess the E VS1 2.54 ct is so much more expensive than those because it’s his “Private Reserve” (it’s $13,970). In any case, that is a good solution that I had not even considered to be able to get his expertise on some other 8x! However, IIRC, you can only upgrade within the Private Reserve selection? I would have to check. Anyway, I am just window shopping at this point.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! Oh, I guess the E VS1 2.54 ct is so much more expensive than those because it’s his “Private Reserve” (it’s $13,970). In any case, that is a good solution that I had not even considered to be able to get his expertise on some other 8x! However, IIRC, you can only upgrade within the Private Reserve selection? I would have to check. Anyway, I am just window shopping at this point.

Wow, I never realized there was such a premium on the Private Reserve! Please come back and let us know what you find out about the upgrade policy.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I never realized there was such a premium on the Private Reserve! Please come back and let us know what you find out about the upgrade policy.

They are, I keep looking at that section myself but there is a big price difference which is why I keep looking at adiamor gcal 8x as well. I'm also curious what the upgrade policy see!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
They are, I keep looking at that section myself but there is a big price difference which is why I keep looking at adiamor gcal 8x as well. I'm also curious what the upgrade policy see!

Jonathan is out of the office, but I know the prior language regarding upgrade was "Here in the private reserve are diamonds I've personally vetted and stock in way of Laboratory Grown Diamonds. These diamonds are backed with a lifetime trade up policy of 1.5x and our normal refund policies. For the time being they consist of lab grown and the only stip on the trade up is that you spend x 1.5 the value of what you purchase." So in reading that, it is not clear if you can only upgrade to another Private Reserve diamond. I will check with him later.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 8X is a great system for LGD's.
Because depth is the constraint with CVDiamonds, there is no need to grow deeper than required for the planned order of carat weights. So cuts are naturally better than natural diamonds where width is 90% the biggest constraint.
And because there is no need to mess up symmetry to squeeze a few more points out, its easier to just cut perfect symmetry.
Have Yo'All seen the Synova robotic laser cutter story on Rocky Talky?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I’m glad you asked because I’ve also been browsing adiamore for gcals and the pricing is excellent…

compare their pricing to 1215diamonds just for reference...1215 has a huge inventory of GCAL 8X listed.

WilliamBayless

Rough_Rock
Jonathan is out of the office, but I know the prior language regarding upgrade was "Here in the private reserve are diamonds I've personally vetted and stock in way of Laboratory Grown Diamonds. These diamonds are backed with a lifetime trade up policy of 1.5x and our normal refund policies. For the time being they consist of lab grown and the only stip on the trade up is that you spend x 1.5 the value of what you purchase." So in reading that, it is not clear if you can only upgrade to another Private Reserve diamond. I will check with him later.
I don't know much about expensive stones at all. I am just starting my way in and I want to achieve something. I will be very happy to get help with various questions. As there are so many things I do not quite understand and differentiate.

Interesting 8-)

WilliamBayless

Rough_Rock

I don't know much about expensive stones at all. I am just starting my way in and I want to achieve something. Found evaluation essays, use https://studymoose.com/essay-types/evaluation-essays for this. I will be very happy to get help with various questions. As there are so many things I do not quite understand and differentiate.

I think they are much more expensive too!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results