shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about dirtcheap

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I think one of the great benefits of Pricescope is that everyone -- customers, dealers, appraisers -- are all "in bed" together here. Perhaps, however, from the point of view of the user, one of the possible problems is that we are all in bed together! To b52holly...I'm sure Jim will be straight with you, as he was with me, with what was on his mind. To a previous poster here, however, I now have a clearer appreciation, after the fact, for why I might have begun to post here after I had made my first purchase.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/29/2004 7:40:21 AM elmo wrote:

----------------
On 9/28/2004 11:23:46 AM lop wrote:

They still get the stones in and view them in person to help evaluate them before just sending them out. They can look at 3 stones and help guide a customer through the tradeoffs. That is the big difference between drop shippers.
----------------

That's not the case. I think that's true with their in-stock ideals, but other things on their site come straight from the source. I think DCD is a classic single-digit-margin drop shipper who also has some inventory, and who stands out in the crowd of drop-shippers because of the good customer service they still provide in that category.----------------

That's just my point. I think they set themselves apart by allowing people to view the stones & having a "prescence". I see this policy change as losing that customer service.

I understand their business model. I understand their point. I just happen to voice my opinion that I think it is a mistake. And, this consumer will not recommend them to locals anymore without a caveat & the names of several other drop shippers.

b52holly

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, I'll definitely be sure to post pictures once I pick one (still have yet to narrow it down) Plus we have to wait for the jewish holiday to be over this week- apparently all of the wholesalers are closed for the rest of the week...But no rush- I guess it gives me more time to make up my mind. Feel free to give your opinions on my other posts to help me pick my princess. thanks guys

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
"That's just my point. I think they set themselves apart by allowing people to view the stones & having a "prescence". I see this policy change as losing that customer service."-Fire and Ice

I don't think that they ever were attempting to set themselves apart from other drop shippers, they've always stressed their identity as an "internet" diamond merchant. They never made it an important issue that locals could go in and look at diamonds at their place of business. I don't know where they are physically located and what kind of store front advertising there is (if any) but the fact that some customers were allowed to go in and physically view the stones before purchase and without paying for shipment to an appraiser only came out in various PS posts and in a couple of consumer testimonials on their site. They weren't trying to make that a selling point to set them apart from other internet merchants.

I'm not sure how much business they do with DC area residents that this one policy change will hurt their business any at all, it's just not a big deal. In fact as Holly pointed out he will be required to pay sales tax on his purchase, something that would perhaps steer some customers to another internet shipper with the same inventory anyway.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Uggh, not impressed by the change to "no viewing" policy!

DCD should follow GOG's example and simply put a time limit on private appointments (in GOG's case -- 1 hour).

Security is not a problem as long as you Gem Scope the stone IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMER for identifying inclusions both at the BEGINNING and END of the session. If the inclusions don't match, you know there's a problem.

That's really sad...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/29/2004 12:09:31 PM jesrush wrote:

DCD should follow GOG's example and simply put a time limit on private appointments (in GOG's case -- 1 hour)....----------------

That's a fine suggestion except for one thing.....GOG *is* a bricks and mortar store. They are a walk-in location who have subsequently built quite an internet following. That means Jon has the facilities (and in fact, has just expanded his site to encourage heavier volume foot traffic) to bring people in. The online business was grew from a physical presence, not the other way around.

Suggesting that DCD (who isn't a retail outlet, never WAS a retail outlet, and has no desire to function as a retail outlet) follow GOG's model is like telling your local convenience store that they should model their operation after Wal-mart. Just because they both sell something doesn't mean they have the same operational abilities/needs.

DCD fills a niche that is somewhere between "pure drop-shipper"...(who doesn't own any inventory and who never sees the stone prior to the customer) and retail store (which owns inventory and sees all stones prior to customer.)

They have a signature line ON HAND that they can pull and view and discuss (something not typically available from a drop-shipper), but they don't operate a local jewelry store.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well as a customer of DCD that has actually visited and met with Jim, I'm disappointed this is not allowed anymore. I enjoyed meeting him, but I do understand his decision and think that it is the right one for his business model. I think less than 5% of his sales are derived locally, so he's optimizing the 95% of his sales and seeking to grow them in a way that he feels best.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/29/2004 3:05:01 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 9/29/2004 12:09:31 PM jesrush wrote:

but they don't operate a local jewelry store.
----------------

Neither do I; yet, I am not foolish enough to have some hands on approach with some clients. At the very least, I learn from the experience - such as this type of neck isn't for this type of necklace. And even though my community isn't my major market, I feel that I still need to be a part of my business community. And, he has an office w/ equipment - I work out of my house.

From a consumer point of view, I feel like a visit would be a waste of time for him.

And, I would regret missing any business, regardless of how small. From his decision, it doesn't seem like he would gain anymore business.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Valid points, all.....but maybe that's precisely the goal.

Perhaps no business is too small for *you*, and I respect your commitment to running your business the way you think works best for you. I'm sure there are others who wouldn't agree with your choices, but it's *your* business, so you're entitled to make whatever choices you see fit.

I really feel that Jim is doing the same thing. I suspect that this decision concurs with a dramatic rise in the numbers of people who want to come in. It's no big deal to do it once in a while, but when it becomes a regular diet, it can be costly to him, both in terms of his labor and the loss of his manpower hours spent serving a broader base of online clients. In the "in person" world, perhaps 10 man hours will let him help 5-7 people. In the virtual world, he may be able to get buying information to 20 people in that same time.

As far as his decision affecting his business...I believe it will encourage the type of customer he wants (and free him up to serve them), and discourage those whose needs exceed what he's comfortable providing. He has to make a value judgment on what the best return for his time is.

Still, it seems unnecessary to label someone foolish or unneighborly because we disagree with his choices. Jim strikes me as being very "neighborly"....always willing to clarify his business/service and owning up to honest mistakes. With the press and reputation he's building, *I'd* be happy to take a few lessons from him on how to become "foolish", too.
2.gif

jesrush

Rough_Rock
aljdewey,

You're right DCD isn't setup like GOG's retail store. That's a good point.

But lets be honest here: People are spending their lifesavings on diamonds that will be worn for decades as critical symbols of their love and commitment, and some vendor can't be bothered to spend an hour in person with joe johnson to help him through one of the most important (and often frightening) purchases of his life?

Please. Whatever happened to "going the extra mile" for the customer?

-JES

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
"....some vendor can't be bothered to spend an hour?"....I didn't take that at all from Jim's comments. It's a bit of a stretch to say that someone who busts his behind to accommodate his clients "can't be bothtered" to help them.

Let's be honest? Indeed, yes, let's be honest....if someone is anxious or frightened about the most important purchase of their life, I should think they'd *prefer* an unbiased opinion from an appraiser who has no vested interest in the sale.

DCD is *not* saying you can't see a diamond before purchase....you can do that if you choose to have it sent to an appraiser.

I guess it's tough for me to get worked up about how "frightened" people get about such a major purchase when I see so many folks trolling *e-BAY!* looking for the deal of the century.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/28/2004 1:21:41 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 9/28/2004 12:38:56 PM fire&ice wrote:

I don't think it's fair to pay to view stones. And, while some may disagree, this consumer at the very least thinks it's unneighborly. ----------------

I hate to point this out, but everyone who deals with a ground presence *pays* to view stones.....it's called an inflated price.

Following your logic, DCD just lowered it's prices!

At first they had viewings which you state creates an inflated price, now they don't therefore their prices should be falling.

----------------

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Sorry....that's not following *MY* logic at all. Taking a piece of what I said and construing it to mean something else is completely illogical.

I'm done debating this here. We don't agree - let's leave it at that.

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
business policies are usually made with thought...dcd may lose a little business from people needy of personal touch...but i think they know that. i bet the trade off will work or they wouldnt have done it...if you dont like it take your business somewheres else...but dont call the poor guy names.

b52holly

Rough_Rock
Hey - I dont really care about your debate...but I just wanted to write that I ordered my diamonds from dirtcheap today...Once I get them after the jewish holidays I'll be sure to let you know how they look. Jim and Josh we're great at helping me figure EVERYTHING out. Even though they no longer allow customers to come in- they still spend a great amount of time working with you to figure out what you want and what fits your needs. They are sincerely great people...When choosing between a few stones they actually recommended the smaller and cheapest rather than the biggest and most expensive...I've also read similar stories in other posts about dirtcheap. So just wanted to give my support of dirt cheap and will definitely still be recommending them to friends.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 3:16:02 PM Diamond Angel wrote:

if you dont like it take your business somewheres else...but dont call the poor guy names.----------------

No one called the guy any names. This is rather extreme. I have an issue with DCD's new policy. As someone who has personally seen the diamonds & heard the *personal* upclose experience with Jim from his satisfied clients, I found this development most disappointing.

They can certainly choose any business practice they want to. This does not go without consequence. Because of this change in policy, I don't plan on recommending DCD with great abandon anymore. As a business person, I would think this needs to be heard.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh indeed!!!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry Fire and Ice that you feel so strongly about the issue that you will hesitate to refer people. It seems that b52Holly is not turned off by the policy change nor am I in the least. I just think that too much is being made of the whole issue. Seeing customers in person was never a cornerstone of their business, they are still and always have been primarily an internet merchant. Perhaps he may lose a few customers in the long run but I think the increase in customers that caused the policy change in the first place will more than off set the loss of your diamond dollars and those of your referrals.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
DCD is quoted in this Washington Post story

Considering A Fifth C: Cheap

I really understand why he made the additional step to not take walk-ins. He competes on price and can't afford to give equal pricing to an internet sale and and a walk in that consumes x3? the overhead. As long as DCD continues to operate with integrity and offers great pricing, they deserve recommendations from a site like PS.

It's alot simpler to make this policy change than to try charge a higher price for walk-in customers.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
There too is also a security issue that Jim mentioned. As DCD carries a larger and larger in house line of signature diamonds, there would be a bigger risk of being the target of a robbery. How would they know whether the customer coming in to see 2 diamonds isn't really planning on committing a robbery? Their chances of being the victim of a robbery would certainly decrease if they could operate behind locked doors at all times and run their internet business from an undisclosed location. Perhaps that is what Jim meant when he cited "insurance" as a reason that b52Holly could not come in to personally inspect his diamond before purchase.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 8:59:06 PM Ricardo07 wrote:

DCD is quoted in this Washington Post story

Considering A Fifth C: Cheap

I really understand why he made the additional step to not take walk-ins. He competes on price and can't afford to give equal pricing to an internet sale and and a walk in that consumes x3? the overhead. As long as DCD continues to operate with integrity and offers great pricing, they deserve recommendations from a site like PS.

It's alot simpler to make this policy change than to try charge a higher price for walk-in customers.
----------------

Yes, Ricardo. I read that article when it appeared in the post. I was pleased to see them get the press. If you read the article, you will note that the man from Canton indeed *visited* DCD.

I don't buy the security risk. They carry diamonds & are just as likely for someone to break into their office as someone who is "posing" as a consumer. Think about it - too much information about your "visitor" to identify them. Now, if they were concerned about a "con" or switch - they may have a point.

Again, only time will tell.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 8:42:21 PM pearcrazy wrote:

Oh indeed!!!----------------

Oh really. So, now finding someone's business policies disappointing is calling someone names? So, interpreting such policy in light name calling as well.

I'm done with this. I think it is a mistake. My only point in stating such is that I hope DCD will reconsider their position. I would still think it smart that they not advertise such; but, make exceptions to those locally.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Fire and Ice,

The "oh" comment and my "oh indeed" comment had nothing to do with this thread. Climber had originally posted a comment in the wrong thread to which I replied stating such. Climber went back and edited out his post leaving only the word "oh". Since I had replied I also went back and edited my post to say only "oh indeed!". It had absolutely nothing to do with you.

Yes, let's please let this thread die, enough has been said by all on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results