shape
carat
color
clarity

question about diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

munishb

Rough_Rock
Hi,

we were recently in Antwerp and ended up buying a diamond ring. We got a EGL certificate for the diamond, and paid $2500 for it (in ring). Was wondering if someone can comment on the purchase and diamond quality.

.80 ct, round brilliant cut, 5.77x5.72x3.94, proportions good,depth 68.6%, table diameter 59%, crown height 16%, pavallion depth 45%, griddle very thick, finish grade very good, clarity VVS1, Color D.

Thanks much.

Please do let me know if I am violating any of the forum rules.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to tell you this, but it''s facing up very small for a 0.8ct stone, closer to half a carat unfortunately. It''s due to the very high depth, it''s hiding weight.

It doesn''t even score on the HCA tool, due to it''s extremely think girdle.

Are you sure of those numbers? To be honest, I would return it ASAP!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 3:35:30 AM
Author:munishb
Hi,

we were recently in Antwerp and ended up buying a diamond ring. We got a EGL certificate for the diamond, and paid $2500 for it (in ring). Was wondering if someone can comment on the purchase and diamond quality.

.80 ct, round brilliant cut, 5.77x5.72x3.94, proportions good,depth 68.6%, table diameter 59%, crown height 16%, pavallion depth 45%, griddle very thick, finish grade very good, clarity VVS1, Color D.

Thanks much.

Please do let me know if I am violating any of the forum rules.
Hi Munishb!

I agree with Honey, regrettably the proportions are not good, it is much too deep and will look small for its weight as a result and the angle combos are bad. Can you return it? I take it you aren't pleased with the diamond? Also you may know EGL labs are considered to be soft on grading in some circumstances compared to the two top tier labs GIA and AGS.

Let us know what you plan to do and we will do our best to help.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like Honey and Lorelei already mentioned, you did not get a good diamond.

Even worse, you got a horrible one, and if you can, you should try to return it. I am sorry to be so blunt.

People often talk about steep-deep here as a bad thing, but your diamond is in the steepest-deepest-category.

On such a day, I am sad to be from Antwerp.

Live long,

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, "horrible" does accurately describe the cut of this stone. Nice color and clarity, but they don''t do much for a stone if it''s cut poorly.

munishb

Rough_Rock
wow, looks like we did get screwed after all
39.gif

i am not sure if returning is an option as we already left belgium.

i am not sure how the vendor in antwerp are for such cases?

any idea of price/value?

munishb

Rough_Rock
could someone please help with the value question?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You probably paid about what it is worth....
I cant find a single comp cut that bad but knocking down some other numbers it is close...

A well cut GIA D/vvs1 .80 is around $6000 online.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 4:35:01 AM
Author: strmrdr
You probably paid about what it is worth....
I cant find a single comp cut that bad but knocking down some other numbers it is close...

A well cut GIA D/vvs1 .80 is around $6000 online.
Ditto, as you can see a well cut GIA D/VVS1 is much more expensive. You could try contacting the vendor to see if he will exchange it possibly.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:10:34 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto, as you can see a well cut GIA D/VVS1 is much more expensive. You could try contacting the vendor to see if he will exchange it possibly.
I would strongly suggest this. Let them know you are now aware of just how horribly (and use that word, it is not being too harsh) cut it is. Be adamant, this is your hard earned money, you deserve a nice stone. And actually, I would really try simply returning it first (and buy somewhere else), but exchanging it would be better than nothing.

How far away are you from the shop now?

And I''m really sorry anyone would sell you such a stone.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results