shape
carat
color
clarity

question about diamond from a novice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jordan2211

Rough_Rock
hi! i am planning to propose to my girlfriend and have been looking online for a ring. i had first thought of a tiffany ring but then read on many forums that one can find similar diamonds as used by tiffany for far less. so i used two websites recommended here: whiteflash and uniondiamond. i was considering whiteflash''s ''Antique Bowtie Diamond Engagement Ring'' setting or their ''Channel Bead Set Diamond Engagement Ring'' setting. to go with either of these two settings, i liked two diamonds.. Can you please advice me which would be better and if the hearts and arrows cut would indeed be better in this case? i just love this girl and want to get the best i can but am somewhat lost here. thank you all for any help you can give this well-intentioned but somehwhat out-of-his-depth guy here.
the two diamonds are here with the specs i got off the internet:

The first one is from white flash and is the hearts and arrows cut-
1.065 ct F VS1 $9,852.00
. Report: AGS
. Shape: Whiteflash ACA
. Carat: 1.065
. Depth %: 61.6
. Table %: 56
. Crown Angle: 34.7
. Crown %: 15.2
. Star : 55
. Pavilion Angle: 40.7
. Pavilion %: 42.8
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.54-6.55X4.04
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

the next one is from uniondiamond-
Union Diamond Price: $9950
Certificate: AGS
Shape: Round
Cut: Select Ideal™
Carat: 1.00
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Measurements: 6.46-6.42-3.93
Depth Percentage: 61 %
Table Percentage: 58 %
Girdle: THIN TO MED
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None (Inert)

THANKS!!!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Jordan!

It depends on what you want, the first diamond from WF has all the info we need to judge the cut but the UD rock we need the crown and pavilion angles which should be on the report and preferably ASET or Idealscope images. Does the diamond have a Diamond Quality Document or Diamond Quality Report? Also the ACA is a branded h&a cut, so if that is what you want then that is the one to go for, unless you are also interested in a non h&a.

Also it depends on you but you can definitely lower the clarity to VS without visual sacrifice unless you particularly wanted VVS.

jordan2211

Rough_Rock
thank you so much lorelei!
i think i have to email uniondiamond to get the rest of the information which i will try to do. i am making my way through trying to understand which might be the best buy. i understand from your reply that the vvs2 clarity should not weigh too much as compared to a vs1. ialso may i ask if you would recommend the first one from whiteflash as a good choice for an engagement ring. really appreciate your help!
4.gif

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 4:02:20 PM
Author: jordan2211
thank you so much lorelei!
i think i have to email uniondiamond to get the rest of the information which i will try to do. i am making my way through trying to understand which might be the best buy. i understand from your reply that the vvs2 clarity should not weigh too much as compared to a vs1. ialso may i ask if you would recommend the first one from whiteflash as a good choice for an engagement ring. really appreciate your help!
4.gif
It is VERY difficult to go wrong with an ACA! I''m not an expert, but it looks great to me. Personally, since it''s approx. the same price as the one from Union Diamond, I would go with the ACA and have the comfort of knowing that''s a top-quality stone. Also WF is great to work with.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you sure that the second stone is graded by AGS?

''Select ideal'' is not an AGS-term.
Neither are girdle and fluorescence mentioned in the current AGS-terms.

Live long,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 4:20:56 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Are you sure that the second stone is graded by AGS?

'Select ideal' is not an AGS-term.
Neither are girdle and fluorescence mentioned in the current AGS-terms.

Live long,
Only more reasons here to discount the Union option entirely.

WF options, their ACAs, are premium, in-house provided selections. Most from union are virtual, and without more than the required basic info. If they are otherwise comparable on price and other stats, the WF choice is a no-brainer.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 12:36:27 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/24/2009 12:11:43 AM
Author: :)
The second diamond is actually in house at James Allen for $9060

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1214621.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
need an IS on that one, its right on the border.
I was really trying to point out that UD is asking 1K additional....and doesn''t even have the stone!!
31.gif

Yes, an IS would be nice, although I think he should try to stick to a diamond at the vendor that has his setting, which I believe he said is WF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results