shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about diamond, crown/pavilion angle

JamesL

Rough_Rock
Hi all, new member here. Found this awesome website while looking for a round diamond for my amazing gal :*)

Would appreciate it if you could take a look at these specs and let me know if the crown/pavilion angles look good, as well thoughts on the diamond itself.

Table 57%
Depth 61.7%
Crown %: 35
Pavilion %: 40.7
Girdle: Medium

Thanks for your help/insight!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers are all within acceptable ranges. But you definitely need pics/videos. Buying a diamond "blind " is a recupie for disaster because sometimes even with good numbers on paper, stones aren't good performers.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you put it on hold and share the link?

JamesL

Rough_Rock
The numbers are all within acceptable ranges. But you definitely need pics/videos. Buying a diamond "blind " is a recupie for disaster because sometimes even with good numbers on paper, stones aren't good performers.

Thank you for the info. Definitely will take a visual look at it before deciding to keep it or return it. As I'm not a diamond expert, just wanted to make sure the numbers look good on paper first.

JamesL

Rough_Rock
Can you put it on hold and share the link?

Hi, I'm not sure what other info you need, but the rest of the specs are as follows:

7.40 - 7.45 x 4.58 MM
1.55 Carat
E
IF
Ideal cut

Polish/Symmetry - Excellent
Fluorescence - None

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I'm not sure what other info you need, but the rest of the specs are as follows:

7.40 - 7.45 x 4.58 MM
1.55 Carat
E
IF
Ideal cut

Polish/Symmetry - Excellent
Fluorescence - None

Do you have a link to the 360 video (or the grading report number so that we can search and see if a 360 video is available)?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a link to the 360 video (or the grading report number so that we can search and see if a 360 video is available)?

Yup, we definitely need to see it moving to be sure about how it will look IRL

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @JamesL! We look for tinges, tints, painting & digging, graining and pavilion twist. None of those are predicted by those rounded numbers. And all of those can affect a diamond’s performance.

Sort of like finding a house that meets all the basic requirements (bedrooms, bathrooms, patio, etc) but still needs to be inspected.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi @JamesL! We look for tinges, tints, painting & digging, graining and pavilion twist. None of those are predicted by those rounded numbers. And all of those can affect a diamond’s performance.

Sort of like finding a house that meets all the basic requirements (bedrooms, bathrooms, patio, etc) but still needs to be inspected.

That's a great analogy!

JamesL

Rough_Rock

I've never heard of those terms (tinges, tints, painting & digging, graining, and pavilion twist) before. Can you take a look at the 360 video and let me know what you think? Thank you.

https://v360.diamonds/c/0979ea2e-ccaa-4c24-a7ac-3279ab6dbaaa?m=i&a=607337300

JamesL

Rough_Rock
I get an error when trying to click the video

That's odd, it worked earlier today. Requested a new link from them. Will post again when I get it.

JamesL

Rough_Rock
It has cut precision issues which likely result in leakage under the table. We can help you find a better diamond if you share your budget.

Hi Kim, thanks for the quick feedback. How bad/major are the cut precision issues on this stone?

I have no idea how useful/relevant the stonealgo diamond score is but this stone was rated 9.9 there, and got a 1.2 on the HCA score, as well as falling under the AGS and GIA ideal range in that graph (not sure what it was called).

To my novice and untrained eye, the fire/brilliance/sparkle is fantastic in person, but then again, I haven't seen a ton of diamonds, so I'm sure I can learn something or two from the experts on this board.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kim, thanks for the quick feedback. How bad/major are the cut precision issues on this stone?

I have no idea how useful/relevant the stonealgo diamond score is but this stone was rated 9.9 there, and got a 1.2 on the HCA score, as well as falling under the AGS and GIA ideal range in that graph (not sure what it was called).

To my novice and untrained eye, the fire/brilliance/sparkle is fantastic in person, but then again, I haven't seen a ton of diamonds, so I'm sure I can learn something or two from the experts on this board.

The scores and graphs only tell us that the proportions work well together, but they don't provide any info on how precisely cut the diamond is. The cut issues are not that bad. If you're seeing it in person and loving it, that's what matters.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree if you love it in person that's what matters. It's not bad at all but not perfectly precise either

JamesL

Rough_Rock
The scores and graphs only tell us that the proportions work well together, but they don't provide any info on how precisely cut the diamond is. The cut issues are not that bad. If you're seeing it in person and loving it, that's what matters.

Thanks a bunch for all the new information. It's amazing how the more you learn about diamonds, you quickly realize there's so much more to learn about them.

When the stone are listed as having an ideal cut in the certification papers, does that not necessary mean that they are indeed "true ideal cuts"? I think some websites listed this specific one as "super ideal".

JamesL

Rough_Rock
I agree if you love it in person that's what matters. It's not bad at all but not perfectly precise either

How common are perfectly precise cuts, and don't they charge a crazy premium for these?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much is the asking price for the stone?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks a bunch for all the new information. It's amazing how the more you learn about diamonds, you quickly realize there's so much more to learn about them.

When the stone are listed as having an ideal cut in the certification papers, does that not necessary mean that they are indeed "true ideal cuts"? I think some websites listed this specific one as "super ideal".

The terms "ideal cut" or "super ideal" are not standardized, so any lab and any vendor can describe their diamond as ideal cut or super ideal cut. We look at the 360 video and, when available, light return and H&A images to evaluate how precisely cut a diamond is.

Perfectly cut and true H&A diamonds do carry a premium.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results