shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about cutting a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The culet of my diamond has all the facets which point but there is still a small white mark in the middle to one side. Would a cutter cut the facets like this to avoid say a pinpoint or small crystal or would they just polish over it? It is not abraded or chipped because each of the eight facets are cut to a point.

If there is a pinpoint or carbon spot there, it is so small so I cannot make anything out with a 10x loupe would this affect durability of the diamond?

What I mean is, would they cut out around a pinpoint or small crystal?

The diamond is a 0.70 carat.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It is difficult for anybody to give you a precise answer for this without seeing what you are seeing, but we'd like to point out that there is a flat spot at the bottom of the point which actually is the culet... The 58th facet of the diamond (in most cases) and that may very well be the white spot you are seeing... Unless you're scraping the culet along a surface it shouldn't have any effect on the durability of the stone...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply Nice Ice.

Would the culet only show at one side of the culet so to speak. It is not bad enough to look like the culet is uneven it just shows this mark to one side. Also when I tilt the stone it looks like a black space but not face up where it is a tiny mark between culet points.

Also it is not a 'polished' mark like I know culets should be with eight sides octagon shaped, at least it doesn't look it face up.

If it is a pinpoint or a few pinpoints, tiny crystal or little feather would that affect durability in this position?

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid, I would either have the vendor show you the diamond through a microscope, or buy a higher powered loupe than a 10x, and you'll be able to more clearly see what it is.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results