carat
color
clarity

Question about Custom Setting Cost.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tony2jones4|1458516708|4008611 said:
* * * They all quoted me prices that were in the 6-8K and that seemed so high. This guy never really quoted me but said he would make it happen so we went to a second meeting with him and that is what we decided on the above.
I am doing all of this in Palm Springs Area and would like to stay in this area and find someone local to do it. The gentleman we are using has a great reputation, he deals with older jewelry. My girls grandma meet him at a fundraiser. That being said after reading all your comments Im extremely worried.
Tony, if someone has a great reputation for repairing/restoring estate jewelry, that doesn't mean have the skills, expertise, and "eye" for crafting a ring from scratch. Have you seen a portfolio of his truly custom work, spoken with customers who have had him create rings from the ground up?

I myself am not flapped by the fact that he doesn't work in CAD because I find CADs distracting -- although I think you might very well appreciate seeing it come together (or not) in visualized steps; many (most?) people much prefer CADs. But his MO is way too haphazard -- e.g.,the airiness of his "I'll make it happen", without any real meaningful details; that he's going to present you with a clay model -- for me to give high-fives (and like others, I'm skeptical of the representation he's going to actually refine and reuse the platinum in the pieces you've brought him).

ETA +1 to what RaiKai posted as I was typing and I'd like to give special emphasis to this last sentence of hers:
I would also want someone talented and experienced enough to be able to tell me very honestly if my "vision" is not going to look as good as I am thinking and to give me some other options. Sometimes what looks good and workable on paper does not carry over into real life.

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

I think when i was in there talking with him i was a little timid and did not stand up for what i thought. He was a smooth talker and at the moment i believed every thing he was saying. I asked who was actually going to be making the ring and he said he will bring it to his shop in LA and have his guy make it. He will design the specs and his guy would do it. I asked for the guys name so i could look his work up. He told me his name was Tim. and that he does custom work for big lines so i would not find his stuff online. As i type it i should have seen that as a red flag. I think i was just so excited and happy that is was getting done that i was not able to be objective.

I will be brining all these points to her grandma and mom and we will all go in and see what happenes when we ask more questions.

I honestly just want it done right and for her to love it. And i don't want to get ripped off. Thanks again

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
Ok so I just got of the phone with my mom, She is going to speak with her jeweler tomorrow and see what he has to say. He has been working on pieces for my mom for over 30 years. My dad has sold him and his kids houses so they trust him 100 percent no doubt. He is in the bay area so it would be a mission to get the stones back and forth and communicating but at least he will give me an idea about what is going on.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad you're exploring other options regarding the jeweler.

I just wanted to ask re. the center stone, it looks like a pretty, old cut round. Way back in the beginning of this thread you mentioned that your GF commented that she'd like an emerald or asscher. Not only do these have a different shape from a round, but they have a (very) different look due to the way they're cut. I know you want to get her something she'll love, and I just wanted to ask if it's the shape (and not the overall sparkle style/cut/facet pattern) that she loves.

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
So you all got to me!!! I showed her the design i drew up and told hold what i was filling it with. I did not let in on the sentimental value of them and how they are from different generations but she knows that i am getting them from her grandma and my family.

She LOVED the design, and was so happy. Just as i thought. You guys had me second guessing but at least now i know. The reason they are round cut stones is because that is all i have at my disposal and they hold value based on who wore them before. I am going for the Radiant shape setting. I know the cuts and how they are cut are huge but i think she just liked the shape. If she wants a radiant or emerald cut later in life ( maybe for a push present ( she is not pregnant lol) or for a 5 year anniversary)). i will have the money then to buy it for her. But for now I'm doing the best i can to make a stunning ring with what i have at my disposal.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great news!! You can still surprise her with the finished ring with all its beautiful detail and a romantic proposal.

Now you just need to find a competent bench and jeweler who will be transparent with you about design, cost, labor and the pieces you want to use. I think reaching out to other jewelers is extremely wise. Please keep us updated. This is all very exciting!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tony2jones4|1458534118|4008768 said:
So you all got to me!!! I showed her the design i drew up and told hold what i was filling it with. I did not let in on the sentimental value of them and how they are from different generations but she knows that i am getting them from her grandma and my family.

She LOVED the design, and was so happy. Just as i thought. You guys had me second guessing but at least now i know. The reason they are round cut stones is because that is all i have at my disposal and they hold value based on who wore them before. I am going for the Radiant shape setting. I know the cuts and how they are cut are huge but i think she just liked the shape. If she wants a radiant or emerald cut later in life ( maybe for a push present ( she is not pregnant lol) or for a 5 year anniversary)). i will have the money then to buy it for her. But for now I'm doing the best i can to make a stunning ring with what i have at my disposal.

That's wonderful! I'm sure your ring will be beautiful and she will be thrilled when she receives it. I'm glad that you're reaching out to other jewelers. I hope that you get multiple quotes before you settle on anyone. I know that there are several talented custom designers relatively near you, in the Los Angeles area, that posters here seem to use frequently. I would suggest that when you get detailed quotes you ask for break downs that include using new metal and melee as well as quotes for refining and using your own materials. I would also find out more about selling the settings even if just to judge how fairly you're being treated. You might find it makes financial sense just to sell an empty setting or two and then use new metal and use optimally cut and matched new melee stones for your delicate halo etc. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, but you should have all of the information.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Tony2jones4|1458534118|4008768 said:
She LOVED the design, and was so happy.

I'm so glad that she loves your design! Now to find a good bench to make it. :appl:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Glad she loves the design! I am confused, though--did you ever e-mail David Klass for a quote? You keep asking us for a quote, but we aren't jewelers--we can't tell you what this should cost, only refer you to someone who can give you a quote. David Klass is a great example--I found a custom ring I liked last year, and the original designed quoted me over $3k for it, so I checked with David Klass, and he quoted under $1k, and got me the quote quickly, too. I was blown away, but I believed he could execute the design based on other examples of his work.

I would seriously encourage you to contact multiple jewelers that we recommend here for custom work, just to get an idea of what they would charge, and their timeline for creation. This will give you a good perspective on what is reasonable to expect. And with custom work, you must be confident that the person executing the design can capture your vision, and CAD rendered images can help you see where there may be issues with a design.

Again, strongly encouraging you to get multiple quotes.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you are getting more quotes and that you talked with your GF about the design. :)

I do have the same concerns about re-purposing the metal from some of those heirloom pieces. Like others it makes my heart hurt to see that bow pin and bracelet destroyed. The bow would make a great bangle conversion! Or even converted to a pendant or slide. What a great present that would be later.

IMHO A reputable jeweler that deals in old pieces would tell you that the value is in the piece itself and caution you that re-using would not save you any $ and likely cost you more.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad you're pulling back with that jeweler! Everything about the situation just feels sketchy! And i'm so glad your GF likes the design, yay! :appl:

Funny enough, David Klass just posted this gorgeous ring on his FB page that made me think of you. Halo with the swirl/infinity sides like you're planning. Just the gallery on this one is simple.

https://www.facebook.com/david.klass.jewelry/?fref=photo

dkhaloswirl.jpg

dkhaloswirlside.jpg

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

Im feeling better and better about pulling back with that jeweler. He has some of the pieces and did not give us a proper inventory. (her grandam has a detailed inventory of everything he has and i video typed it lol). And way i called him and told him to please stop moving forwards and that we wanted another meeting. The more and more we talk the less i want to use him. This is my first time doing something like this.

I talked to Amy from David Klass office today and she was great. I and waiting on a quote from them. I to don't really want to destroy the bow are bracelet. We had plenty of other pieces to choose from and idk why he choose those. I am ok with taking a part a ring when there is 20 more that look similar but those pieces are unique.

Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction.

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
And wow that is kinda similar to my design and it looks great. I like it!!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tony2jones4 said:
Hey Guys,

Im feeling better and better about pulling back with that jeweler. He has some of the pieces and did not give us a proper inventory. (her grandam has a detailed inventory of everything he has and i video typed it lol). And way i called him and told him to please stop moving forwards and that we wanted another meeting. The more and more we talk the less i want to use him. This is my first time doing something like this.

I talked to Amy from David Klass office today and she was great. I and waiting on a quote from them. I to don't really want to destroy the bow are bracelet. We had plenty of other pieces to choose from and idk why he choose those. I am ok with taking a part a ring when there is 20 more that look similar but those pieces are unique.

Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction.

If those pieces were the ones he was going to "use the platinum for" I would be suspicious that he was not going to use the platinum rather he was going to sell them.

It's smart you kept a precise inventory of what you left him. My jeweler gives me a receipt of sorts with a line item saying what I left him (basically a description) with an estimated value so that if a piece is lost or misplaced, we know what it was and he has record of it. The amount he assigns is essentially what I would get if I do not have my items returned. We both keep a copy of this. Hopefully he did something similar for you?

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
He Gave me a claim ticket with some numbers on it and he wrote down a few things on his end. We took pictures and video of what he took. We also wrote down every piece he has. I talked to one of his employees and told them to halt what they are doing and we want to have another mtg. I won't be able to go in this week but amanda's grandma was getting a ring resized so she is gonna pick it up and try and pick up what we dropped off.

I never think of people being dishonest or shady because that is not how i operate. I never really thought anything was funny with the process until talking to all of you. That being said the jeweler in question could be an honest guy and nothing fishy is going on (that is my hopes). But i have herd enough opinions and noticed enough red flags to question it. I just hope the ring gets done the best way possible and it turns out great.

I will keep everyone updated.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tony, there's a really good chance he's completely honest and nothing shady is going on. I think the re-purposing the platinum was a red flag to many of us because we know it's not a simple thing to do and most jewelers/benches won't do it for reasons previously mentioned. It's always good to be cautious and careful and to do your homework. This is why you've gotten so many opinions advising you to get more quotes. It's all part of the process and you're doing your due diligence and hopefully it will pay off!

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
So I forgot to let you all know. After reading all these comments i went and picked everything up from the jeweler i was working with. I decided i did not trust him and i wanted to go with someone else.

Today i meet David Klass at his Store. He had a wax model for me. He was amazing. We dropped off the stones he is going to use and he is starting the process. So Excited!! Thank you all

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Wow. That was a roller coaster of a thread. Those heirloom pieces look like they have really interesting history.
What will be the cost for the ring? Could you get ASET images of some stones? Would be interesting to see what the miners cut is like.

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
So here are some pictures of the finished ring. David Klass and Amy have been the best through the process. Im proposing a week from today so wish me luck.

ring_252.jpg

platdiamond15.jpg

platdiamond5.jpg

platdiamond1.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! I am impressed with how quickly David was able to bring your vision to completion.
Can I ask a few questions?
Did David end up using the tiny diamonds you provided in this ring or did he use new ones?
Do you know what the size and cut of the center stone are?

Congrats again and good luck with the upcoming proposal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony2jones4

Rough_Rock
Yeah it turned out great. The only diamonds of mine that he ended up using was the center stone and the two in the shank (undercarriage). He added a total of 1.9 cts of G color, VS clarity round brilliant cut dimonds for the smaller stones in the ring. The center stone is 1.47 ct antique cushion cut.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous result!
She will be thrilled. Looking forward to see the handshots once you have proposed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results