shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about crown angle on Fancy Yellow Stone

gtg036q

Rough_Rock
Hi I am looking at purchasing a fancy yellow diamond and noticed a note about the crown angle being greater than 40 degrees. I haven't seen this before but here is the whole of the GIA information. Is this something that should be avoided or is it just more common with colored stones?

Thanks

Cushion Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 5.27 x 4.87 x 3.40 mm
Carat Weight: 0.83 carat
Color:
Origin: Natural
Grade: Fancy Yellow
Distribution: Even
Clarity Grade: SI1
Proportions:
Depth: 69.8%
Table: 68%
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Comments: Crown angles are greater than 40 degrees.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Coloured diamonds are cut to best show off the colour, so cut in the sense of angles is not considered in the same way as colourless diamonds on the whole.

You would probably be better asking in RT - this forum is predominantly for coloured gemstones rather than diamonds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora is right.
The same piece of rough diamond if cut for light performance may get only an Intense color grade, but if cut for color may get a Vivid and be MUCH more profitable.

I've bought a few FCDs and believe me light performance varies a great deal, and yes they are usually cut to proportions that maximize the color, not the light performance.

I return and exchange diamonds to upgrade my collection with the elusive goal of getting the best of both worlds, color AND light performance.
I suspect most serious FCD collectors place much less importance on light performance than I do.
Trying to get both in one FCD makes it 1000 time more difficult to find that perfect one.
No problem; I enjoy the safari.

I've only bought from Leibish & Co. www.fancydiamonds.net........
They have around 1000 FCDs in stock, over a third are yellow, and they have a great return policy.

You may want to find out what strong blue fluorescence does to the yellow diamond in the sunlight.
I'm not saying it's bad, just be aware.

BTW, you may want to watch the first two of the 3 videos in this link:

http://www.ncdia.com/origin-of-color/index.cfm?sh=podcast

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget angles and use your eyes. Is the colour strong? Pleasing? Is it well cut? Do you love it?

As for strong fluor in yellow diamonds? I had one that had strong blue fluor and in sunlight it completely wiped out the yellow of the stone - I didn't like it because why buy a yellow diamond that then looks more white? Kinda defeats the object really! So I would most definitely ask the vendor about the fluor. Unlike white diamonds you can't predict what fluor will do to fancy coloured diamonds. You can suspect but you really need the dealer to tell you.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
My main concern about this stone isn't fluorescence or crown angle comment, but the very small size for its weight. Can't say that I care for a big table like that either, but that's secondary.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes to FCDs, they are cut to maximize colour with cutting for light performance being secondary. Looks like a stone with a high crown, which I like but boy, is that table huge too. The thing that pops out to me more than the cutting is the strong blue fluorescence. I hear that it doesn’t do good things for a yellow diamond when viewed under UV light sources (sun).

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
can't really put a generalization on fluo in colored diamonds... sometimes it washes out the color in sunlight, some other times it has no effect whatsoever on the color! i have a 3 carat intense yellow EC with strong blue fluo, and it has no effect on the color!

my advise on colored diamonds is, forget the numbers, and look at the stone! if it sings to me, no number is going to stop me from getting it! colored diamond is truly a different beast than colorless diamond...

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i forgot to add if the price is right... if it sings to me and if the price is right! :lol:

as far as fluo goes, ask the vendor if it has an effect on the color or not...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results