shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about chain for pendant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

audelair

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I bought my wife a palladium wheat chain, 1.3mm thick with lobster clamp, to be used with a very lightweight locket/pendant.

I am curious if such a chain is safe for her to sleep in? Rather than fumbling with the clasp every night and every morning, it just feels much easier to just sleep in it.

Thank you very much.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see a problem with it. I mean, she's not yanking it all night long?
9.gif

audelair

Rough_Rock
She''s a pretty peaceful sleeper :)

I know wheat chains are generally pretty durable, but 1.3mm is still pretty thin, so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the response.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 5:46:37 PM
Author: audelair

I know wheat chains are generally pretty durable, but 1.3mm is still pretty thin, so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the response.
....but not the most flexible. Could bend and permanently damage the chain. Also when worn 24/7, they tend to stretch faster (yes, links stretch!)

cheers--Sharon

audelair

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the warning on that. I guess it''s still safest to remove it every night then.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 6:34:52 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 2/3/2009 5:46:37 PM
Author: audelair

....but not the most flexible. Could bend and permanently damage the chain. Also when worn 24/7, they tend to stretch faster (yes, links stretch!)

cheers--Sharon
Im so glad that there are jewelry wearers who understand that chains stretch with time when not worn correctly...sleeping and pulling on it are to best ways to damage(kink and stretch out a wheat chain...my favorite link by the way...)the chain...also could dent the locket!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know gold is soft and stretches but even palladium and platinum too?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an even better reason not to sleep with any chain on. You can develop skin tags on your neck over time from the constant rubbing.
14.gif
I had that problem, saw the dermatologist, got it fixed and now always take my chains off at night. No more problems. Hubby had the same problem and solution too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyra,
Maybe this varies from person to person. I''ve been wearing my gold necklace to bed every night for nearly 20 years and I haven''t any skin tags. Could it also be that I''m wearing very pure gold? 22kt to 24kt necklaces only.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 8:21:19 AM
Author: Chrono
I know gold is soft and stretches but even palladium and platinum too?
Yes,even palladium and platinum.Its how the chain is constructed as well as the metal used.Chains made of the precious metals...Platinum,gold, or silver families are open to stretch or damage when pressure is applied.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
It might also depend on the length of the chain. I wear a 16" snake chain that''s about 1mm to bed pretty often, and haven''t kinked it or had skin problaems from it in the 4 years I''ve had it. I would imagine a longer, looser chain would be easier to get tangled in or kink.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine''s pretty long, maybe 18"? I like longer chains so I don''t feel like I''m being strangled when I''m sleeping.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results