shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about buying ring from James Allen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Is there anything I need to tell JA specifically in regards to my setting or ring? Anything I should know or be aware of? Something I need to emphasize to them before they make the ring? Do you recommend that I request the stone be set low? I remember reading that here and there by several PS''ers. If so, how low would you recommend it to be set (I don''t know if they have different measurements or levels for that)? I just don''t want it catching on anything and I can be quite reckless at times, so that would be good to know.

I also remember reading somewhere that someone''s ering arrived with unpolished prongs (or something like that.. some part of the ring was unpolished). (I don''t know if it was a JA ring or not.) Are all rings "polished" like that when they''re made? If so, is this something I need to specify with JA? Or should they know to do that already?? (I don''t know if any of that made sense, but hopefully it did.)

Here''s the setting I will be getting (It''s shown as a 4 prong, but mine will be a 6 prong): http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/2mm-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

The center stone will be a RB around 1 carat (no sidestones or anything else).

Anything you can think of from your experiences or others you''ve heard that I should be aware of when finalizing my purchase with James Allen would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!
1.gif

PS: I''m not trying to undermine JA by any means!! (Hopefully that''s not how I''m coming across as.) So far, JA has been exceptional with their customer service and willingness to answer my every little question/request. I''m just seeing if there''s anything you''d like to share with me before I place my order.. maybe I''m being overly anal? If so, feel free to put me in my place!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at the setting, I don''t know if they can set it much lower, but you could ask.

Yes, it will be polished nice and shiny.
5.gif

I don''t see on the report that the girdle is inscribed, but if by chance it is, a friendly reminder not to cover it with a prong would be prudent.

Other than that, it should be a fairly simple process!

And we''re ALL anal.
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Three comments:

1) Hey guys..it''s spring today!

2) It''s probably not reasonable to ask a company president cum computer geek to do everything, i.e., pack boxes with bubble wrap, etc. Then again, you''re the customer, you''re asking here, and I''m reading.

It used to be...and I''m guessing, it still is the case (I don''t know) that Jim sent out his diamonds to Texas to be put together with rings to be made whole, and sent to customers then. But...I had mine purchased from Jim just short of 5 years ago, and that''s a long time ago. Since then, he''s partnered with a big operation in NY, so everything may have changed, but I don''t know that.

Ellen where you say:

Date: 3/20/2009 9:06:23 AM
Author: Ellen

I don''t see on the report that the girdle is inscribed, but if by chance it is, a friendly reminder not to cover it with a prong would be prudent.

And we''re ALL anal.
9.gif
I had read a post prior to my purchase, and anticipated this might be a problem, so I told Jim in a note with my purchase to just be mindful of two things in my case...one of which was this one...don''t hide the inscription. But...it came back hidden anyway.

So, since he''s decentralized, and we don''t know who he uses for what, I''d come up with the solution, for other purchasers, of specifically asking that the ring float by him again for quality control, before it goes to the customer. So, maybe that''s a good idea. It''s a quality control step, anyway.

3) To the very good, Jim has been posting here lately. Consider this my request that he create a thread and tell us about his operation, and how he does run his shop...how he does things. He''s clearly doing a lot of things right!

Regards,

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good suggestion Ira about floating it past him on the way out.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Interesting!! I never would have thought about the whole inscription thing. (So glad I am checking with you all before I buy this.)

1. Why is it better for it to not be covered? (excuse my temporary stupidity here)
2.gif

2. If JA can set it lower, should I ask them to? And if so, how much lower? (as low as they can?)

writergeek

Rough_Rock
Trade
My suggestion is that you call them the day indicated in your order confirmation email, while customer service is still open, to check on status of your order. They are supposed to email the FedEx tracking number to you the evening before shipping so you know when to expect the delivery. I did get that info on one of our two orders, I never got it on the second order. But I had called cs about it and they had said it was shipping, so I half expected it.

Also, if your expected ship date is on a holiday, that could potentially cause a delay. If I order from them again, I''ll be sure to check that. My order shipped on St Paddy''s day, which caused them some delay.

My rings are fantastic, everything was fine in the end, but the cs experience was not the best I''ve had.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 11:34:59 AM
Author: newbieD

1. Why is it better for it to not be covered? (excuse my temporary stupidity here)
2.gif
Back in the day, this was a major feature, and it was among the criteria to consider buying a branded diamond like Lazare Kaplan for. More recently, it''s much more common. And, if available, no reason not to take advantage of it. But, to take advantage of having a numerical inscription (visible with a loupe) to help identify the diamond, in, for example, intentional hand offs to jewelers...you do have to be able to read the numbers. Thus, the desire to have the diamond turned so the numbers are not obscured by a prong.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 11:48:40 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Date: 3/20/2009 11:34:59 AM

Author: newbieD

2.gif

Back in the day, this was a major feature, and it was among the criteria to consider buying a branded diamond like Lazare Kaplan for. More recently, it''s much more common. And, if available, no reason not to take advantage of it. But, to take advantage of having a numerical inscription (visible with a loupe) to help identify the diamond, in, for example, intentional hand offs to jewelers...you do have to be able to read the numbers. Thus, the desire to have the diamond turned so the numbers are not obscured by a prong.

I see. In that case, this is something I would definitely like to take advantage of.
I''ll be sure to request this and see if they can have Jim do a quality control check before it gets sent out.
Hopefully they''ll be willing to do so.
4.gif

Thank you, Regular Guy!

killer_deep

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased an e-ring from JA, with that exact setting (6-prongs), and a .85 ct stone. I was looking for a simple, classy setting that sat low on the finger. I think you''ll be pleasantly surprised at how low the diamond sits, especially in comparison to most other rings. Maybe a mm above the finger to the culet. Any lower and I think you''d have a problem.

At any rate, good choice to go with JA - they have pretty much the lowest advertised prices, great customer service, and outstanding workmanship on the final ring. I''m extremely happy with my purchase.

S

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 12:25:48 PM
Author: killer_deep
I recently purchased an e-ring from JA, with that exact setting (6-prongs), and a .85 ct stone. I was looking for a simple, classy setting that sat low on the finger. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how low the diamond sits, especially in comparison to most other rings. Maybe a mm above the finger to the culet. Any lower and I think you'd have a problem.

At any rate, good choice to go with JA - they have pretty much the lowest advertised prices, great customer service, and outstanding workmanship on the final ring. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

S

Killer deep- So would it be better to just order the ring as is without requesting it be any lower?? I just ordered my ring and asked JA to make it as low as possible...
32.gif
I'm wondering if that was a mistake. She said it wouldn't change the look of the diamond. But then I read your post and now I'm a little concerned
33.gif

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 11:44:14 AM
Author: writergeek
My suggestion is that you call them the day indicated in your order confirmation email, while customer service is still open, to check on status of your order. They are supposed to email the FedEx tracking number to you the evening before shipping so you know when to expect the delivery. I did get that info on one of our two orders, I never got it on the second order. But I had called cs about it and they had said it was shipping, so I half expected it.

Also, if your expected ship date is on a holiday, that could potentially cause a delay. If I order from them again, I''ll be sure to check that. My order shipped on St Paddy''s day, which caused them some delay.

My rings are fantastic, everything was fine in the end, but the cs experience was not the best I''ve had.

I do remember reading about your experience with JA. I''ll be sure to look out for that email.
Thank you!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results