shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about buying Online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

godfather955

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for a good deal for almost 2 weeks now on a diamond. I have decided to buy by my diamond online and pick a setting in person.
So far one of the best deals I have found is at a website called http://www.buydiamonddirect.com/Default.htm

Anyone have any comments on this site? The prices seem to be very competative and I found a nice .9-1.2 carat diamond (sI1-sI2 colors G-1) for prices between 1700-2200. these prices seem pretty good. Any comments would be appreciated thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/5/2009 7:58:56 PM
Author:godfather955
I have been searching for a good deal for almost 2 weeks now on a diamond. I have decided to buy by my diamond online and pick a setting in person.
So far one of the best deals I have found is at a website called http://www.buydiamonddirect.com/Default.htm

Anyone have any comments on this site? The prices seem to be very competative and I found a nice .9-1.2 carat diamond (sI1-sI2 colors G-1) for prices between 1700-2200. these prices seem pretty good. Any comments would be appreciated thanks!
Note that most are EGL certs.
I did a search and an AGS H SI1 is $5,197.50 - nearly 2.5 times the price of the EGL''s

Go figure

godfather955

Rough_Rock
I see so does that mean the EGL might give a diamond a higher grade that other labs such as the GIA or AGS would?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, EGL is generally looser in color and clarity grading and thus discounted by vendors making them look like a good deal than it is actually is.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2009 8:19:29 PM
Author: godfather955
I see so does that mean the EGL might give a diamond a higher grade that other labs such as the GIA or AGS would?
Yes, EGL labs are know for grading soft ...up to 2 grades off on color and clarity so ...an SI clarity might be an I clarity and an H may be a J.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
See the tutorial, too...particularly the right hand column for the university analogy...

godfather955

Rough_Rock
Ok so if i get a GIA or AGS from this site I should be fine? I just wanted to make sure no one had any negatives about the site I was looking at.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Why do you want to buy from this site?
I would prefer to buy something from a pricescope vendor.

godfather955

Rough_Rock
any recommendations I can check out?

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
At the top you can "pricescope your diamond", Search the In-House stones or you can post your budget and pricescopers and recommend diamonds to you

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2009 8:56:25 PM
Author: Mrs W
Why do you want to buy from this site?
I would prefer to buy something from a pricescope vendor.
Ditto Mrs. W, though generally I would prefer the "search by cut" db instead, here.

Still, though this is good for a moderately comprehensive and convenient search, other favored vendors are not necessarily included (see above about "who is a Pricescope vendor."

So, in addition to White Flash, James Allen Good Old Gold and HPD, Brian Gavin Diamonds (recently gone from WF) and Excel each use in some combination many of the tools many of us regard to be helpful in assessing diamonds. This is one of the things lacking from "buydiamondsdirect."

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/5/2009 8:38:26 PM
Author: godfather955
Ok so if i get a GIA or AGS from this site I should be fine? I just wanted to make sure no one had any negatives about the site I was looking at.

The fact that a diamond is graded by the GIA or AGS does not necessarily make it a "good diamond" it just means that it graded by that laboratory and each laboratory will grade any diamond or gem sent to them with exception of some restrictions on diamonds which have been treated / enhanced.

Regardless of where you purchase a diamond, you need to take some time to learn about what you are buying and how some seemingly minor characteristics of a diamond, especially diamond cut quality, can affect price. Within the arena of GIA and AGS graded diamonds, the proportions rating of a diamond can have an impact of as much as 60% upon the selling price of the diamond, sixty percent! As in more than half... So take the time to read some of the tutorials here on PS and become familiar with diamond cut quality (the most important of the 4C''s) and things like color, clarity and carat weight. Then take a look at what is being offered by the site that you mention and make an informed decision.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2009 2:56:39 PM
Author: shraikata
hahahaha Ok then pay 1.000.000$ for 0.05ct

Okie Dokie then.
35.gif

Who left the screen door open?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results