shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about bustles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Okay this might be the worlds stupidest question but I am tottally clueless some people have mentioned thier bustles having numbered ribbons so that attendants can tie up the bustle for the reception.

[*] Where are these ribbons hidden or are they in full view?
[*] Are they always ribbons or are buttons used as well?
[*] Can you see them when it is unbustled or are they under the dress which then means I assume someone has to stick their head under the dress to bustle it or am I competly off track?

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:17:38 AM
Author:Deelight
Okay this might be the worlds stupidest question but I am tottally clueless some people have mentioned thier bustles having numbered ribbons so that attendants can tie up the bustle for the reception.

[*] Where are these ribbons hidden or are they in full view?

[*] Are they always ribbons or are buttons used as well?

[*] Can you see them when it is unbustled or are they under the dress which then means I assume someone has to stick their head under the dress to bustle it or am I competly off track?

I''m pretty sure I just asked the worlds stupidest question in the thread I just started (white vs. ivory dresses) so you''re off the hook.
3.gif

I''m no bustle expert but to the best of my knowledge, any ribbons or buttons are on the inside of the dress so they''re not seen. I think ribbons might be a little quicker and easier? But buttons seem reasonable too. So yeah, someone has to stick their head up your dress to bustle you..
6.gif
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
woohoo.gif

Thanks for making me feel better Pearl I don''t think your question was stupid at all.

I guess that makes sense, logically I thought it would be that way but some of the more fancy bustles I have seen I can''t imagine the logistics of it like how if it is tied underneath does it stay like that.

HAHAHAHA some poor bugger that has to stick their head up my dress - I think I will leave that job to my sister
2.gif
I am sure she will be impressed
25.gif

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:52:32 AM
Author: Deelight
woohoo.gif

HAHAHAHA some poor bugger that has to stick their head up my dress - I think I will leave that job to my sister
2.gif
25.gif

Make sure you''re wearing cute undies! Haha
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHAHA good point
2.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
I dont think this is stupid at all. and i agree with pearldahhhling - buttons or ribbons are used and no you can''t see them
my question is, how do you know what kind of bustle to get?
or does the seamstress just tell you what is best for the dress?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVED my bustle!

Mine was tied with ribbons, they were white satin and my seamstress handwrote the numbers on them so we knew which ribbons went together. My seamstress told me that ribbons were more reliable than buttons, so that is why she used them. She knew exactly how my dress should have been bustled (according to her artistic eye), so I just let her do her thing.

The ribbons were hidden under the dress when it was unbustled, you could not see them at all.

I loved my bustle so much I made a thread about it! Link here.
9.gif

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
Mine was just as Haven described - numbered ribbons that were under the dress. When I went for my fitting the seamstress pinned my dress in a few different bustles so I could choose the one I liked. My sister had no problem figuring out how to bustle it on the day of!
1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who had a very elaborate French-style bustle that involved 16 different ribbons, all numbered 1-8, and you had to match up the numbers and tie them together. Too complicated for me! I have very simple tastes and would just want a non-poofy over-bustle, the kind where it just looks like a triangle of fabric pinned up at the back. That will probably require a button or something at the single tie point.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Mine was a tiny button and the dress was bustled into it... and I FORGOT TO HAVE MY BRIDESMAID BUSTLE MY DRESS for the first dance... totally was tripping all over it. So me and my DH couldn''t bust out our sweet dance moves.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:18:01 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I have a friend who had a very elaborate French-style bustle that involved 16 different ribbons, all numbered 1-8, and you had to match up the numbers and tie them together. Too complicated for me! I have very simple tastes and would just want a non-poofy over-bustle, the kind where it just looks like a triangle of fabric pinned up at the back. That will probably require a button or something at the single tie point.
I never thought of my bustle being elaborate, but I do know there were at least 16 sets of ribbons to be tied, but it may have been more like 18! My sister had no problem bustling it at all, though. If you have a skilled seamstress do the work it shouldn''t be a problem.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I was actually reading about this the other day online, here''s a website that might help you :)

http://www.newjerseyweddingvendors.com/how-to-bustle-a-wedding-gown/

I''ve been trying to figure out what I want to do and it''s an english style bustle. The triangle but still looks poofy....

From what I understand, usually when you do the bustle going under the dress (like the french bustle) you should use ribbons because they are more secure and you can tie them as tight as you want. If you are doing an english bustle or something similar where you will be attaching it on top you should use a button because it is less likely to draw attention during the ceremony.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m going to see if my seamstress can do a victorian bustlel I want it to be as poufy as possible! The back of my gown goes straight down, so it looks like I''ve got a flat butt.
7.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Haven, just for fun, this is my friend''s bustle. I consider it pretty elaborate; I dunno about you! For myself I''m just looking for a simple, sleek "ballroom" bustle or one-point overbustle.

bustle-example1.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstar--I can see where the different "levels" of bustling would require some serious work!

My bustle was definitely different, but I loved it. All the ribbons were in one line, though, so I don't think it was complicated to tie up.

ETA: I just checked my dress--it has 16 pairs of ribbons to tie, so 32 little ribbons, altogether.

Here's a picture from the thread I posted:

HavensbustleTHE Dress - 156.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That''s not a bad one, it may be 6 or 8 points all together. Bustling sounds way more difficult than it really is. Don''t fret! And don''t worry about cute panties, you''ll have a crinoline and underskirt between you and your bustlers.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, I actually LOVE this bustle!! I do. what kind is it? do you know jstar? or anyone?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Haven, that''s really unique! I can see how it would have a lot of different tie points, yet it still looks "simpler" or less elaborate because it''s one fluid level.

Iloveprincesscuts, I actually don''t know what this type of bustle is called, but I agree that it was quite stunning (just not really my personal style when it comes to my own wedding dress). It''s some sort of variation on the French bustle because it''s an underbustle, but I don''t know if it has a specific name.

Here''s an additional website with some good pics of different bustle styles. I think it''s probably most similar to the 2nd one down, except that her gown didn''t have pickups to begin with like that one does.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
To follow from the link I posted, it looks like this is similar to my friend''s bustle. They call it a paneled bustle. Hers used ribbons instead of snaps though.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:52:32 AM
Author: Deelight
woohoo.gif

Thanks for making me feel better Pearl I don''t think your question was stupid at all.

I guess that makes sense, logically I thought it would be that way but some of the more fancy bustles I have seen I can''t imagine the logistics of it like how if it is tied underneath does it stay like that.

2.gif
25.gif
I bustled my friends dress with numbered ribbons (which are only used for a French bustle I believe). One of the other BMs held up the outer layer of her skirt while I tied the ribbons. Her slip/crinoline prevents us from seeing her toosh since normally its only the outer layer(s) of the gown that needs to be bustled.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:08:22 PM
To follow from the link I posted, it looks like this is similar to my friend''s bustle. They call it a paneled bustle. Hers used ribbons instead of snaps though.
Thanks Jstar, I seriously am in love with this bustle. I want it! It looks like she is wearing a 1 layer pedicoat underneath too.
Its poofy but not too too poofy. Either way, i LOVE the bustle.
I hope my seamstress can do this with my dress! ughhhh LOVE IT

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
ILPC, she definitely wore a lot of crinoline! It was fun helping her get dressed and doing the bustle ribbons...all 4 of us bridesmaids were under her dress! Her dress was Jasmine F873 if anyone is wondering. The train was ridiculously long and had a few petals/leaflets or whatever you want to call them. I think the bustle worked really well for that particular train.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the responses you ladies (as always) have been fantastically helpful :).

Haven I love your bustle and dress are just fantastic.

Seriously before PS I have never seen creative bustles most girls either carry the train on a loop around their wrist as they dance or have a single button which falls off and has the girl carrying her train for the rest of the night :).

Claire thats good to know, I am not worried about my sister seeing my toosh she has changed my nappies when I was little and watched and helped raise me as I have grown up but someone else I might be a little weird with :).

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 11:10:27 PM
ILPC, she definitely wore a lot of crinoline! It was fun helping her get dressed and doing the bustle ribbons...all 4 of us bridesmaids were under her dress! Her dress was Jasmine F873 if anyone is wondering. The train was ridiculously long and had a few petals/leaflets or whatever you want to call them. I think the bustle worked really well for that particular train.
Thanks Again
My dress came in! just got the call. so im bringing it to the seamstress this weekend and I printed a pic of your friends bustle (hehehehe)
so i''ll see what they can do! YAY! i can''t wait to post my own pics.
Thank you again. so exciting.

PrincessMiaPuff

Shiny_Rock
This is not me but this is a picture of my dress bustled. I am really confused about what bustles and really don''t know what this would be called.

awepickup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results