shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about bezels on stones

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have seen bezels where the side view is entirely enclosed (like pic 1) and also like pic 2 where there are holes in the gallery. I just wondered if one style is better than the other; like would the side holes allow for more light etc? And the stone in question that I plan to set like this is an emerald with two side diamond stones. Thanks :)

il_794xN.2796766255_mu71.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert, but my understanding is that, unlike diamonds that reflect light from the top making no difference between a prong set, closed bezel or semi open bezel, colored stones are more affected. I have two pear shaped Colombian emeralds. One has a darker, more saturated color so I had it set in a bezel with openings to allow more light in. One is lighter tone, so I’m having DK set it in a closed bezel to make the tone appear more deep. I think it just depends on the color of the stone in question and your personal preference.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m no expert, but my understanding is that, unlike diamonds that reflect light from the top making no difference between a prong set, closed bezel or semi open bezel, colored stones are more affected. I have two pear shaped Colombian emeralds. One has a darker, more saturated color so I had it set in a bezel with openings to allow more light in. One is lighter tone, so I’m having DK set it in a closed bezel to make the tone appear more deep. I think it just depends on the color of the stone in question and your personal preference.

Dk will most likely be setting this one as well. When I get home I’ll post pics of the stone.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also @Kaycee2018 I just read your thread about the emerald and the bow ring. Beautiful pieces! I would love to see a picture of the lighter emerald that you are now doing.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also @Kaycee2018 I just read your thread about the emerald and the bow ring. Beautiful pieces! I would love to see a picture of the lighter emerald that you are now doing.

Thanks @Mreader ! Your emerald is so glowey and bright! Beautiful! Are you doing a 3 stone with the diamond side stones?

Here‘s a pic of my bezel ring (Muzo region) with the loose emerald (Chivor region). Emeralds are notoriously difficult to photograph. The ring has openings in the bezel to allow more light in, but the bezel that DK is doing (a pendant) will be a closed bezel.
363DCF75-0D10-4198-BCEE-43E239B7720F.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes that are hard to photograph!!! They photograph bluish sometimes. Yours are gorgeous. And yes this is the ring I want to do which is also a DK one. The drawings showed totally closed.

DD4E09A8-779A-46F6-9E04-946D7DB63913.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the best photograph but the best indication of the true color that I can get.

Very non-ideal -- and I absolutely love that color! I think I like it better than the duck-neck gold standard (call me crazy). I just think it is so lively. Just admired an old Art Deco pendant with a drop that color.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes that are hard to photograph!!! They photograph bluish sometimes. Yours are gorgeous. And yes this is the ring I want to do which is also a DK one. The drawings showed totally closed.

Love the setting! It’s going to be gorgeous!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Very non-ideal -- and I absolutely love that color! I think I like it better than the duck-neck gold standard (call me crazy). I just think it is so lively. Just admired an old Art Deco pendant with a drop that color.

What is duck neck gold standard?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I often design my bezels so that they have openings in the gallery. I do this with my diamonds and some of my colored stones. With RBC diamonds it shouldn't have much impact on the light return, but it's an aesthetic choice since I like to be able to see more angles of the stone.

On colored stones it has an impact that can be used to your advantage. If your stone has a weak saturation (like a morganite or a lightly saturated emerald), a fully enclosed bezel will make the stone appear richer and more vivid. On a strongly saturated stone (like a spinel), or a stone with a closed axis (like a tourmaline), an open gallery (or a partial bezel) will lighten up the overall appearance of the stone

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

If you’re doing this type of a design with the emerald you showed I think it will look beautiful with a fully enclosed bezel and gallery. It will add nice depth to the stone. Yellow gold or rose gold will also add depth to the color as well. I believe this pic is a morganite. That stone often benefits from enclosure the same way that emerald does (since they’re both the same mineral :geek:).
I think you’re going to love it!

Bunnie

Rough_Rock

You wouldn’t happen to have a link to the original thread/post, would you? If there is one, of course. I saw this ring in your thread a couple days ago and could not stop thinking about it!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
You wouldn’t happen to have a link to the original thread/post, would you? If there is one, of course. I saw this ring in your thread a couple days ago and could not stop thinking about it!

I just saw it in David’s IG but I’ve posted it in a previous thread. I don’t think it has its own thread; I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s a PS ring.

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
I just saw it in David’s IG but I’ve posted it in a previous thread. I don’t think it has its own thread; I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s a PS ring.

Thank you anyways! Off to go dig through DK’s instagram :P2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results