shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Basket around Diamond

alphatwenty

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I just received my diamond in the mail today and had a question. On the head of the diamond, the jeweler added a basket that I had not originally anticipated. Is this basket necessary to hold the diamond? Here is some information to consider:

1. The Diamond is 2.39 CTs (8.57-8.61mm width)
2. The head is made of platinum
3. There are 4 prongs

I'm tempted to have the jeweler change this ASAP as I have about a week before proposing, but wanted to grab some expert opinions here. Thank you for your help!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you post a pic to give us an idea?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without pictures we're not going to be able to tell you anything.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean that the jeweler put some sort of cross wires between and connecting the prongs? If so, those are there to protect the diamond, especially if is a four-prong setting. Why don't you post a picture of the setting and the experts can weigh in on whether they're adviseable or dispensible.

alphatwenty

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Here are some pics.

img_10212.jpg

img_10213.jpg

img_10214.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. That is needed for structural support 100%.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1450845352|3965163 said:
Yes. That is needed for structural support 100%.

+ 1000%

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger the diamond, the longer the prongs need to be. Longer prongs are more susceptible to damage - for example, a prong could get caught on something, or the ring could be bumped against something, which might cause a prong to become slightly mis-aligned. You might not notice a slight mis-alignment, but it could allow the diamond to move within the setting, which could cause it to cut into the other prongs, weakening them. Before you know it, you've lost your diamond. The crossbar 1) effectively shortens the susceptible part of the prongs and 2) stabilizes the prongs, making any sort of movement less likely.

alphatwenty

Rough_Rock
Welp, sounds like I need to keep the basket. Thoughts on making it thinner or less noticeable?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are other kinds of baskets but I'm not sure if they can modify your ring to put on a different types of head.

Here are some stuller heads...you have to pick the right kind with the right type of connection so not all of these will be an
option for you but you can ask/talk to your jeweler. Most jewelers have access to stuller.

http://www.stuller.com/search/results/?query=round+head

Edit - your best bet might be to find some pictures of ones you like and show your jeweler.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can make the bar more decorative like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/fishtail-pave-with-truth-head-platinum-5360p

You can have it changed to a Tiffany Head like this setting (click on profile view): http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/six-prong-fishtail-pave-platinum-5509p With 6 prongs on the stone you don't need the bar.

Or you can do four wider prongs like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/fishtail-pave-with-novela-head-platinum-5768p

Basically you need a new head on that thing.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go six-prong.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Thats not the most attractive setting do you have time to find another before proposing maybe go for one color metal looks mish meshy - the fishtail Gypsy posted is gorgous

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree to go six prong, I like a large RB with 6, or even 8 :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results