shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about appraisal(s) for the knowledgeable people

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been looking about for a tourmaline stone and happened across this company up in Maine.. I was reading their website and came across this:

Appraisals

We offer appraisal services on any item sold by Cross or previously appraised by Cross. We will consider for appraisal pieces of jewelry substantially similar to the jewelry we sell. We do not appraise jewelry recently acquired, or diamonds purchased after the year 2000 (due to the introduction of synthetic diamonds). We do not appraise watches or designer jewelry. Appraisals are not offered October – December.

http://www.crossjewelers.com/about_us/services.aspx

Is this usual? I find it quite unusual.

thank you for any thoughts on this.

tekate

:wavey: :wavey:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it's unusual.

It's clearly a jewelry store and what they mean by 'appraisal' is an estimate of what they would charge to make or remake something. I suppose that's ok if that's the question you're asking but no, that's not the usual question for appraisals.

The October to December thing is just a matter of time management. That's the busy time for selling things, and selling things is their primary business.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Denver Appraiser.. I also thought it strange that they wouldn't appraise diamonds after a period of time because of the lab grown stones.. I suppose it is the old CYA.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think if they don't have whatever is necessary to 100% verify that a stone is natural diamond and not lab grown, I can see why they wouldn't want the liability of providing appraisals. The only question I have is whether they would refuse to give a valuation on a diamond that already has GIA or AGS grading, because they surely could match up the diamond to the report. My guess is that they focus on their jewelry selling and are not all that interested in a big insurance valuation business. In a way, I respect that.

(Sorry, just reread your title! I am not knowledgable, but just had thoughts about it!)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker! I find you always very knowledgeable.. thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question(s). If a jewelry store can't tell the difference between a man made stone and a mined stone it seems a bit nerve wracking to me... although I know the two diamonds I own are mined (one bought in 88 and my cushion from GOG).. it seems to me that less than scrupulous sellers could make a hefty profit on someone who thinks they are buying a mined diamond.. again thank you so much for your thoughts.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tekate|1423771825|3831492 said:
Diamondseeker! I find you always very knowledgeable.. thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question(s). If a jewelry store can't tell the difference between a man made stone and a mined stone it seems a bit nerve wracking to me... although I know the two diamonds I own are mined (one bought in 88 and my cushion from GOG).. it seems to me that less than scrupulous sellers could make a hefty profit on someone who thinks they are buying a mined diamond.. again thank you so much for your thoughts.
Man made stones aren't significantly cheaper than equivalent mined stones. There's not much of a paycheck in doing that.

That said, it can actually be pretty difficult to make the separation call with certainty. The 100% positive way involves tools that no jewelry store has.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results