shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about AGL color grading of sapphire

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I just got a sapphire back from AGL for a brief report and the color grading is kind of interesting to me. I wondered if any experts had seen something similar before.

The color is graded “Pink-Purple”. I’ve never seen a color grade with a dash like that- usually I’ve seen like “purplish pink” or what have you. And the comment section included the note “this gemstone also displays a change of color when viewed under different lighting conditions”.

Can anyone offer some context or information about this info? Would this be called a color shift sapphire? To my eye it definitely looks pure pink in some light and pure purple in others.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm familiar with how GIA names their hue grades for Fancy Colored Diamonds when more than one hue is present.
I don't know whether or not AGL uses the same terminology.

FWIW here is GIA's convention:
First, the strongest hue is always written last.
When there are more than 2 hues present the weakest hue is written first.

2-hue example: purple pink has more pink than purple, and pink purple has more purple than pink.
3 hue example: Brownish Greenish Yellow has more green than brown, and yellow is the strongest hue.
So, relative hue strength increases left to right.

Next there is the meaning of "ish".
When a modifying hue (aka overtone) ends with "ish" the strength (actually saturation) of that hue is lower than if there was no "ish".
For example: Brownish Yellow has less brown than Brown Yellow.

I'm not certain, but I suspect the presence, or absence, of a dash means nothing, all the hue data is in the wording of the hue names and their order.

I think that covers it, but frankly I'm getting so old now I'm not really certain.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
purplish pink means it color is a pink that is slightly purple..aka off pink.
Where im pretty sure Pink-Purple means, Pink and Purple or Pink to Purple, depending on lighting..
That the comment says its color change reinforces my recall.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have the knowledge to answer your question but this sure sounds like a sapphire I would love to see a picture of, sounds pretty!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have the knowledge to answer your question but this sure sounds like a sapphire I would love to see a picture of, sounds pretty!

It’s being set now but I’ll share pics as soon as I have it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results