shape
carat
color
clarity

***Question about adding extra platinum***

lewood

Shiny_Rock
I had a wedding band custom made (1 ct. half eternity channel set), but at the time of having it made, I didn't give any thought to width and height (thickness of shank) measurements. Frankly, width doesn't matter to me; however, the thickness of the band IS bothering me. This may sound petty, but the thickness of the shank at the bottom of my wedding band and e-ring don't match up; my wedding band is slightly thinner than my e-ring, and it REALLY bothers me. I'm very OCD- it's just a part of who I am! Here's where my question comes into play:

I'm getting married in 2 weeks--can I take my wedding band back to the jeweler that made it and ask them to add more platinum to the bottom so that it becomes the same thickness as my e-ring? Is it an easy job? Will I notice the extra platinum added?

Please advise pricescopers!!!!

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Anyone? I wanted some advice/feedback on the process of adding additional platinum to a band before I call my jeweler this morning...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You posted in the middle of the night in the US, most posters are from US, so probably just waking up.

Should be doable, depending on if the bench has the equipment to do it. So ask the jeweler and how he intends to do it.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Yeah...I've been up all night thinking about this (and my upcoming wedding).....what is the proper way to do it? (so I know what is right/wrong when I ask)

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
They should be able to do this. Might have to replace the shank part of your wedding band with a thicker one (from where the diamonds start all the way around to the other side diamonds, the plain part) but it should be doable I would think.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on the design details of the ring but yes, it's probably doable. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's no an especially easy job and it's likely to be expensive. By all means show it to your jeweler and ask. They can see it and they know the details about how it was made.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
It's just a classic half eternity channel set band....the bottom is just plain. Should I just leave it alone and deal? Do I risk having it messed up?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
If the jeweler made it for you, just ask them. They will tell you if it can be done, how, and for how much. However once you've worn it a bit I'm sure you would become used to the feeling of it. You could always try wearing it a while and seeing if you get used to the feeling of the different thicknesses. Did you have it made to match the e-ring? Did the jeweler have the e-ring to compare to? If so then maybe it was an oversight on their part.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
I guess I could call to inquire....that doesn't hurt anything. Is it wrong I feel that I shouldn't pay anything to alter the ring since it was a custom made piece that does not leave me 100% satisfied? Sadly, I (or my jeweler) didn't think to match it up to my engagment ring shank height.

I can live with the shank heights being slightly off at the bottom, but I'm afraid that the ring is too thin altogether (structurally safe?). What are you thoughts?
Imported%20Photos%2000073.jpg
Imported%20Photos%2000071.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I just had this done. My ring started out very thin then I damaged it. They thickened the bottom of the ring. It was a pretty inexpensive and easy fix. Looks the same as ever from the top and youd never know the bottom wasnt always that thickness.I used singlestone who made the ring originally.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for making me feel hopeful!!!! I wonder if I should just wait until after our wedding to modify the band...... but it would be nice to have it modified and engraved before the wedding!!! AHHH, decisions!

lewood

Shiny_Rock
FYI, I haven't called the jeweler yet...I'm a little scared. I've had bad experiences with jewelry getting worked on. I think I prefer my FI going with me to get it done.... really I just wanted to know if it is possible to add platinum from you pricescopers and what your experiences were. Thanks for all of the helpful feedback- I appreciate it!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
It is not uncommon for a ring, after being worn or resized, to be out of round. I had my wedding band put back into round recently and it was not a big deal or expense.
Regarding the thickness issue of your wedding band, you really need to TALK with your jeweler. They can't fix it if you don't speak up!

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would definitely recommend contacting your jeweler.
Usually, when a band isn't full eternity a jeweler would taper the bottom part of the shank so that it wouldn't be too bottom heavy. On this particular piece it looks like they went a bit too far. Besides the thinness though to my eyes it looks like it's asymmetric. This is caused by uneven filing of the shank. The channel (top) portion also looks to be asymmetric. The diamonds aren't in a smooth circular arc and the metal surrounding them follows this.

Good luck.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Well, I sucked it up and contacted my jeweler to discuss the issues I am having with the band. He had me come in this afternoon to show him, and now it is in his possession for fixing. He is going to make the ring the same width and height the whole way around so that it is a perfect fit against my engagement ring. In turn the "flatness" that I was seeing at the bottom will be fixed as well. He is going to reshank the bottom portion of the ring entirely. He saw my issues and agreed to fix them so that it's perfect and at no charge! Yay! Thanks again for your help. Wish me luck for a good final product. My projected pick-up date is Wednesday. I will probably be on pins and needles until then! :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results