shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about a repair job....

snew333

Rough_Rock
I have a question about a repair job I am doing on an older ring for my mother. She has a wedding band and an engagement ring that both have channel set diamonds in the band. Over the years she had worn the engagement ring frequently without the band and for that reason the walls of the channel on the engagement ring as well as the shank half shank itself has worn thin. I am having the ring restored at a local well trusted and reputable jeweler for her. He is replacing the shank and building up the channel walls. In order to build up the walls he is using a laser to add metal to the sides. I just haven't heard of this done before and don't have much experience with lasers being used in jewelry repair. Does this make sense? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks so much for all responses :)

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi, makes a lot of sense.
After diamonds are set on a ring, using a torch would subject the diamonds to high heat and risk burning the diamonds (yes diamonds can actually be burned) especially if it's a platinum piece which has a very high melting temperature. A laser welding machine is very targeted and doesn't put the diamonds at risk of burning. So, the jeweler gave you the right advice.

Good luck.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yep, that sounds like good advice. The reason more jewelers don't have lasers is because they're a bit expensive ($15--$50k per bench) and they've only really been on the market for about 15 years. They're a hot item at the tool suppliers and in another 30 years everyone will have one. In the meantime, there ARE jobs that are best done with a torch so both approaches can live in harmony.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results