shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about a Family Heirloom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryan78

Rough_Rock
I had some questions about a relative''s ring handed down to me which, I just learned, has old mine cut diamonds. After reading some posts everyone here sounds very knowledgeable so I was hoping to gather some more information about this ring. I had dated the ring to at least 1925 when it was given to my great aunt, but reading the posts it seems that old mine cut was most common from 1840 to 1890. Is it possible that this ring was new in 1925, or more likely that it was handed down at that time? Is there a way to date diamonds?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is common to see older cut diamonds in more recent settings, so the diamonds might be older indeed.

If there is any way to date diamonds, I have never heard of it. An educated guess is possible if the stones have some particular shape known to have only been done at a certain point. However, OMC are cut today as well just because the shape has it''s own following.

Regardless, old cuts are more often discounted than offered at a premium unless the stones are in an old piece, and 1925 sounds old enough. Even if the diamonds were cut earlier, it may well be that the ring as is makes them particularly valuable.

I am not expert though. An appraiser with the right specilaity could give you the definitive answer and there are a couple posting on Pricescope.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dave Atlas (Oldminer) specilizes in old mine cut diamonds. You might wish to contact him for an appraisial.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results