shape
carat
color
clarity

Question a/b local BM vs out of state jeweler ring care

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I am a first time ring buyer and I am trying to see what is a better long term deal. Going through a reputable jeweler like David Klass who is out of state for me. He said he would cover damages for 3 years of something goes wrong, anything else including cleaning and servicing I would have to mail to him and pay for. I belive he would service and/or clean after 3 years but for the mailing charge and potentially paying if its a repair.
If I end up going with a local establishment (waiting to see the price of the quote of a custom ring design) I would have access to complimentary cleanings, inspections and service for life as long as I bring the ring in to be checked every 6 months 'at no additional cost to me'.

I am wondering how that should factor into my decision on who to buy from? I plan on getting insurance on the diamond but how important is having a place that will clean and inspect your engagement ring compared to a place you may never be able to visit so they can clean and/or service your ring?

Lastly if there is a big price difference between David Klass and the local B&M(the expected higher cost) would it be worth it in the long run to pay more for the establishment services compared to David Klass who is more than half a country away from me?

Appreciate all the advice.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know where you live & what the norm there is, but based on my experiences living in the Midwest, Boston, and NYC, there have always been good, independent jewelers willing to clean my rings & check the prongs free of charge. It's a "good neighbor" gesture on their part, offered in the hope that you will then do future business with them -- just like LensCrafters, for example, will do simple eyeframe adjustments & replace lost screws without charging you anything.

Even if a local independent jeweler charges a fee for routine maintenance, I doubt it would be more than the cost of shipping, with insurance, the ring back & forth to David in LA.

Is the local establishment a chain/mall type store like Jared? The description of the purported lifetime service plan is typical of those stores -- which, speaking bluntly, should be avoided ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I clean my own rings. At home. I also get them cleaned at jewelry stores everywhere for free. As for sizing, etc. Ask David Klass is sizing has to be done by him to maintain the 3 year warranty.

Honestly, I've sized my rings twice. Both times by good local jewelers.

Everything else is covered by my jewelry insurance. Jewelers Mutual.

Thos gimmecky "buy local" warranties are worth just as much as toilet paper.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
I am located in the SouthEast United States. It is a local establishment that has 4 locations right now. Oh so there is an option of going to other jewelers for service? I just know I feel like I have a good deal with David and he definitely knows what he is doing even though, just didn't know if the lifetime cleaning if you bring it in every 6 months is worth paying a higher price for a ring.

As for sizing does that just mean adjusting the ring size since your fingers enlarge over time? I for sure plan on getting insurance, I didnt know if that covered any lost stones or the details. Just want to cover all my bases basically.

Thanks for the input

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
cnelson2|1455717800|3992026 said:
I am located in the SouthEast United States. It is a local establishment that has 4 locations right now. Oh so there is an option of going to other jewelers for service? I just know I feel like I have a good deal with David and he definitely knows what he is doing even though, just didn't know if the lifetime cleaning if you bring it in every 6 months is worth paying a higher price for a ring.

As for sizing does that just mean adjusting the ring size since your fingers enlarge over time? I for sure plan on getting insurance, I didnt know if that covered any lost stones or the details. Just want to cover all my bases basically.

Thanks for the input

No, having to bring your ring in every 6 months is basically a scheme to get you to shop while you wait. It really doesn't do you much good and is not work the brick & mortar jewelry store prices. I bet you could take your David Klass-designed jewels to one of those places and they'd still clean it for you. :lol: I've had local stores offer to clean my jewelry while I browse, even though they know my pieces aren't from there--as Gypsy mentions, it's just a courtesy, costs them almost nothing, and creates goodwill so you might buy something there at some point.

I don't really like taking my jewelry somewhere to have it cleaned, though--I just do it at home, like Gypsy, with a $20 ultrasonic cleaner I got on Amazon.com and a soft toothbrush + mild dish detergent. As for checking prongs? A reputable jeweler will do this for you, or you can buy your own loupe (jeweler's tool) and look at your own prongs for free anytime you like. I also bought a set of loupes on Amazon.com for around $20. If you ever notice an issue with your prongs, check with your insurance--they may cover shipping it back to David Klass for repair if it's out of the three year window in which he covers things.

As for sizing, I've only had my engagement ring re-sized once, and it was because it was the wrong size to begin (I had been told locally that I was a 5.5 but it spun like crazy so I had it sized down to a 5.25 and it was perfect). Fingers may enlarge over time, or they can also shrink, just depends on the person--if the intended recipient ever gets pregnant, that can change finger size, either temporarily or permanently (wait a few months after baby arrives to see if finger returns to 'normal').

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
rubybeth|1455719952|3992032 said:
cnelson2|1455717800|3992026 said:

Thanks for the input

No, having to bring your ring in every 6 months is basically a scheme to get you to shop while you wait. It really doesn't do you much good and is not work the brick & mortar jewelry store prices. I bet you could take your David Klass-designed jewels to one of those places and they'd still clean it for you. :lol: I've had local stores offer to clean my jewelry while I browse, even though they know my pieces aren't from there--as Gypsy mentions, it's just a courtesy, costs them almost nothing, and creates goodwill so you might buy something there at some point.

I don't really like taking my jewelry somewhere to have it cleaned, though--I just do it at home, like Gypsy, with a $20 ultrasonic cleaner I got on Amazon.com and a soft toothbrush + mild dish detergent. As for checking prongs? A reputable jeweler will do this for you, or you can buy your own loupe (jeweler's tool) and look at your own prongs for free anytime you like. I also bought a set of loupes on Amazon.com for around $20. If you ever notice an issue with your prongs, check with your insurance--they may cover shipping it back to David Klass for repair if it's out of the three year window in which he covers things.

As for sizing, I've only had my engagement ring re-sized once, and it was because it was the wrong size to begin (I had been told locally that I was a 5.5 but it spun like crazy so I had it sized down to a 5.25 and it was perfect). Fingers may enlarge over time, or they can also shrink, just depends on the person--if the intended recipient ever gets pregnant, that can change finger size, either temporarily or permanently (wait a few months after baby arrives to see if finger returns to 'normal').

Okay that makes me feel alot better about working with David Klass only. Especially since I will be looking down the road for a wedding band. Does the insurance cover if any diamonds fall out of the pave rows as well as the big attraction center diamond?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cnelson2|1455720916|3992035 said:
Okay that makes me feel alot better about working with David Klass only. Especially since I will be looking down the road for a wedding band. Does the insurance cover if any diamonds fall out of the pave rows as well as the big attraction center diamond?

My policy would, as (I imagine) would any Jeweller's Mutual policy or standalone/rider, if it's due to workmanship or damage. Policies vary widely in terms of what they consider "wear and tear", and what "wear and tear" they'll cover. The thing to balance, though, is whether or not making claims on small repairs are worth the increases in premium and increases in scrutiny, beauracracy, etc. for future claims. I personally tend to view insurance as a catastrophe fail-safe and would prefer taking care of things like missing pave, prong tightening, milgrain reapplication, etc. out-of-pocket.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1455724770|3992057 said:
cnelson2|1455720916|3992035 said:

My policy would, as (I imagine) would any Jeweller's Mutual policy or standalone/rider, if it's due to workmanship or damage. Policies vary widely in terms of what they consider "wear and tear", and what "wear and tear" they'll cover. The thing to balance, though, is whether or not making claims on small repairs are worth the increases in premium and increases in scrutiny, beauracracy, etc. for future claims. I personally tend to view insurance as a catastrophe fail-safe and would prefer taking care of things like missing pave, prong tightening, milgrain reapplication, etc. out-of-pocket.

Same here. I had a couple tiny stones in a ring replaced locally and paid around $100. It really wasn't bad at all. That piece was uninsured, so that wasn't an option, but you might want to check with your insurance about exactly what is covered (prongs worn down, lost melee--the tiny diamonds in the shank or halo, etc.) and what isn't. DH once had to have his ring cut off his finger (long story) and insurance paid to have the ring fixed/resized--our premium didn't go up because of this (maybe because it was damaged and not lost?).

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Okay, I think I understand. Don't go with the BM just because they offer customer services: go for the best deal. It is fine to clean jewelry yourself or take into a local place to have it cleaned. Also insurance is good for major issues but a simple stone falling out the pave setting is not something to file for, just pay out of pocket.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1455685950|3991947 said:
I clean my own rings. At home. I also get them cleaned at jewelry stores everywhere for free. As for sizing, etc. Ask David Klass is sizing has to be done by him to maintain the 3 year warranty.

Honestly, I've sized my rings twice. Both times by good local jewelers.

Everything else is covered by my jewelry insurance. Jewelers Mutual.

Thos gimmecky "buy local" warranties are worth just as much as toilet paper.

Big giant ditto! I had my original e-ring sized once in 25 years and white gold prong tips retipped once, as well (which is almost never needed with platinum. A local jeweler did it and we didn't even live in the city where we originally bought the ring. I clean my rings at home 95% of the time, but occasionally if I am shopping in a nice jewelry store, I will ask them to clean my rings, or they will just offer. There is absolutely no reason to be concerned about buying out of town or out of state.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, not sure of the exact B&M you're talking about, but in my area, they charge you some fee (couple hundred to a percentage of purchase) upfront for the lifetime protection (or whatever they call it).

You HAVE TO get it checked every six months (they record when you do it). And if you miss even ONE check, that voids the contract. (Have you been to the dentist exactly six months apart? It's hard to do - we're busy).

So, if David warranties his work for three years, that would be when any probs might occur. Other than that, sizing (in my area) is less than $50 (if you don't go many sizes larger). Rhodium plating is not mandatory on white gold, so you don't have to "redip" (if you even "dip" in the first place). That too (in my area) is probably under $50.

Like others have mentioned, any jewelry store near you (even maul jewelry stores) would gladly clean while you browse, some will check prongs without you mentioning it and even tighten if needed. For free. With the hope they will leave a good vibe for when you're ready for your next purchase.

And insurance. Some has a deductible, some doesn't. So replacing one pave stone might not be worth filing a claim if you have a deductible. The main diamond? Yah. Totally worth it.

You're getting good info here from people who have lots of experience buying jewelry both new from B&M stores and online vendors (some of whom also have B&Ms) and also preloved via consignment, estate sales, and even from fellow jewelry lovers here on PS.

I can't wait to see what you decide and see the finished product!!

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the information. Since I will be going with David Klass in all likelihood what is the safest way to mail my diamond to him?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS Registered mail, insured.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1455807065|3992546 said:
USPS Registered mail, insured.

Yup. Very safe... but prepare to possibly be biting your nails for a couple of weeks.
Or ask if he can provide a label that you pay for... Vendors often have business accounts with carriers - FedEx, etc. - that permit insuring high-value items like jewellery, which they don't offer private consumers coverage on.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I mailed and received several items to David in the past, including diamonds. I used both method, USPS insured and David's overnight label. So far nothing went wrong with either USPS insured or David's with all my items I sent to David, but USPS insured can take up to 10 days.
I personally prefer to give David the insurance amount I would like to cover my item and let him send me the label. Definitely follow the instructions exactly and DO NOT ship it out on a Thursday or Friday. David Klass is an honest person, he will make sure to help ease your concerns and he will honor his policy.

My recent experience with insured USPS was a ring I bought from Jeff Hapeman. The ring was shipped out from his jeweler and when I received the package the ring was not in the box. Jeff didn't step in to help me with the claim so I had to do it myself. I filed the claim since first week of December and after many calls and follow ups with USPS and a denied claim appeal, it still not resolved. Not so sure if I trust USPS again after this incident.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure what's the difference between registered and insured mail but the jeweler paid extra insurance, though not the full amount. This is the first time that ever happened so I was unfamiliar with this whole claim process. It's more complicated and time consuming and stressful.....Sorry, didn't mean to threadjacking.

Anyway, if it's an expensive item and for your peace of mind go with David's recommendation. At least to my knowledge, he never overcharged me for the shipping cost.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Violetphoenix|1455826043|3992662 said:
I mailed and received several items to David in the past, including diamonds. I used both method, USPS insured and David's overnight label. So far nothing went wrong with either USPS insured or David's with all my items I sent to David, but USPS insured can take up to 10 days.
I personally prefer to give David the insurance amount I would like to cover my item and let him send me the label. Definitely follow the instructions exactly and DO NOT ship it out on a Thursday or Friday. David Klass is an honest person, he will make sure to help ease your concerns and he will honor his policy.

My recent experience with insured USPS was a ring I bought from Jeff Hapeman. The ring was shipped out from his jeweler and when I received the package the ring was not in the box. Jeff didn't step in to help me with the claim so I had to do it myself. I filed the claim since first week of December and after many calls and follow ups with USPS and a denied claim appeal, it still not resolved. Not so sure if I trust USPS again after this incident.

I am sorry that that happened. That sounds really scary, so I probably need to stick to Davids label or USPS insured. I think I will be biting my nails regardless whenever we get the CADs and whatever other steps there are finalized and have the diamond shipped off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results