shape
carat
color
clarity

Quest for the Perfect RB Solitaire Has Led Me to Leon Mege!

amandaz

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers!

I’m finally nearing the end of my engagement ring quest process, and I feel that I owe this website a huge debt of gratitude for getting me to this stage so I wanted to update you on my adventure.

A few weeks ago I honestly had no idea what I was looking for in an engagement ring-- every ring I’ve seen on this site is gorgeous (and doesn’t help narrow it down at all!). At first I thought I wanted a ring with side baguettes, and some of you left me helpful comments on how to go about achieving this setting with my budget, but a short trip to Tiffany helped me conclude a classic round solitaire is the one for me! Not wanting to pay the Tiffany premium, I set to work combing through all your helpful recommendations instead.

The Diamond District
I’m lucky enough to live in NY and be a student with time on my hands, so I got my soon-to-be-fiancé to take a day off work and go on a tour of NY’s Diamond District.

Random Place
First stop on our diamond search was a diamond wholesaler that a colleague had recommended to him (I think it was called Coco Diamonds? Not 100% sure though). The gentleman who helped us, Francesco, had pre-selected some diamonds according to our budget and specification (we were looking for a 1.5ct round brilliant in the best color and quality we could afford). While Francesco was nice and didn’t rush us at all, I would not recommend him. Whenever we asked him pretty straightforward questions (“should we be concerned this extra thin girdle might chip in the future?,” “shouldn’t we prioritize finding an XXX stone if our objective is the most sparkle/brilliance?, ”is this stone H&A?“) he would say we’re going into this “too deep” and that some people think about those things but he doesn’t and 99% of his clients just pick a stone without “looking at it deeply.” We thanked him and went off to our next appointment.

SK
After seeing how Steven Kirsch is held in such high regard on Pricescope we decided to go see him too. Via email we gave him the same specs (1.5 cts, round, best color and clarity we could afford) and he said he’d have some stones for us to look at. When we arrived Steven had just one stone that fit those specs for us to look at, which he said he didn’t actually want to show us at all because he was certain we’d want this other stone instead. He then showed us this much bigger ungraded stone (I believe it was around 2.4ct) that he said he could sell us within our budget, and told us his vision for setting it to cover a few of the major inclusions (which still left inclusions clearly visible to our eyes with no loupe). He told us he believes bigger is better, so we should prioritize size over the better quality/ color 1.5ct stone. He said he would get the stone graded by EGL if we wanted it and we was pretty sure it would be an SI2 and I think a J. SK was personable and easy to talk to, but I felt we had such different visions and that he hadn’t listened to what we wanted very well, so we decided not to go ahead with him. If I had my own stone, a bigger stone in mind and was going for an intricate pave look I still might look him up in the future.

LM
Next stop, Leon Mege. We had been emailing with Perry but hadn’t actually planned on stopping in on that day, the idea just suddenly came to us when we realized SK was in the same building as LM. So Perry only had a few hours of notice that we were stopping by, and didn’t have time to fully prepare. But he still managed to get a couple stones within our desired specs and budget for us to look at (he was more respectful of our budget than any other person we met and didn’t show us anything that wasn’t completely within it). Perry was personable and guaranteed he would be able to find us the best diamonds at the best prices with some more time. He seemed very knowledgeable. At this point I’d already received a LM setting quote and was pretty set on having Leon do my setting unless it was much cheaper to get it hand forged to a similar standard elsewhere, so we left LM feeling pretty confident we would be coming back.

ERD
Final stop, our appointment at ERD. We had arranged this appointment in advance and Chris had fully prepared for it. He started by educating us about RB stones and what in his opinion were the important things to look for. His professionalism was unparalleled (clearly an expert) and he spent a lot of time with us on the stones. He had a number of stones for us to look at. Afterwards we found that several of these stones were slightly above our budget, but it was still a good to compare these to the stones within budget (I couldn’t tell the difference between them!). Only negative point was when it came to the settings—this part was a little rushed. Chris showed me 2 ERD solitaire settings (one 4 prong, one 6 prong) and quoted me that to get the setting hand-forged would be $1000 more (bringing it a little above the LM quote). Chris said in his opinion we shouldn’t go hand-forged as it’s just a simple solitaire. The problem was I wasn’t in love with any of the ERD solitaire settings, and I didn’t feel reassured they could make me a setting I would love.

Conclusion
We walked away feeling we would probably source a diamond through ERD and get the setting through LM. When we factored in the extra $100 plus the lab fee we would have to pay to get a diamond sourced from elsewhere set by LM we would have saved quite a bit by going with LM for both. Plus Perry was offering us the best price. I would still whole-heartedly recommend ERD to source your diamonds and to set your stone if you like an ERD design, it just didn't make sense for us.

The Diamond Specs
Ours is an H&A 1.51ct RB Canadian diamond (Birks inscription).
Color: H
Clarity: VS2 (only 1 feather on the bottom, imperceptible to the eye and to me with the loupe, will be covered by a prong)
Cut/ Polish/ Symmetry: XXX
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 35%
Pavilion: 40.8%
Cutlet: None
Girdle: Medium (faceted)

HCA score: 1.6

Deciding on a Setting with LM
I wanted to go for a really simple solitaire with minimum metal and maximum revealing of the stone.

I fell in LOVE with Leon’s R4770:
https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/tulip-solitaire-enagement-ring

Video can be seen here, but it’s mislabeled as another R number:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-f8qULpwuM

I discovered Mark Morrell’s beautiful designs after I decided to go with Leon, and found I really liked MM’s use of a raised shank, so I sent Leon some Pricescope images of MM rings and amended the work order a few days in to provide for a raised shank. So it will hopefully look just like the R4770 with the same head and rounded band, but with a MM petite sunburst style raised shank (as here: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Petite_SunBurst_0.97ct._D-IF_sz5_/slides/Petite_SunBurst_0.97ct._D-IF_sz5_004.html)

As for thickness when my boyfriend spoke with Leon he emphasized we wanted to go 2mm or less, but the amended work order says the ring will be 2mm, so I couldn’t stop myself from emailing Perry and Rachel yesterday (don’t want to bother Leon!) to say please leave a note on my file to go under 2mm if possible, because I just love the 1.8mm rings I’ve seen on Pricescope. With a stone my size I think I need I should err on the thin side to make it pop!

I feel bad for being a nuisance by contacting them to make an amendment again. Originally we had planned a meeting with Leon to discuss our work order, but when we got there we learned because it’s a simple solitaire and a busy time we were just going to meet with Perry instead. It was a short, rushed appointment with Perry to finalize our payment for the stone and decide on our setting work order (30 min), so I didn’t really fully understand what we had agreed on for the setting. Only because my boyfriend insisted on meeting Leon did we get to see him. He was very friendly and informative but as they needed the room for the next client we only got to sit down with him for about 4 min.

I was left with a lot of questions afterwards and so as we learned more about different options I wanted to refine our work order (Leon’s very busy but my boyfriend was able to catch him on the phone twice and he was always friendly and helpful). We communicated to Leon we wanted the diamond to appear prominently and showed him the MM images of the shank I liked, and he advised that the diamond height should stay as low as possible and the only thing to change on the work order is to provide for a raised shank. Since we amended the work order last week this 2mm thickness thing is the only thing I’ve written about, and I have promised my boyfriend it’s the last thing I’ll bother them with (he barely let me send that email out!). Even though Leon has been nice to us whenever we’ve spoken to him, it’s kind of strange feeling like you can’t reach out to your jeweler freely because you’re afraid of being yelled at!

The Wait!
So now 5 weeks remain before we should receive my ring! I’m hoping it will be the R4770 head on the MM-like raised shank with the perfect band thickness. This waiting part is very daunting for a control-freak like me! Crossing my fingers it goes by quick. I’ll keep you posted!

The Wedding Band
I’m making myself hold out on this until I receive my e-ring, but I just love the Tiffany shared prong .27ct ring: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00005

I’ve reached out to Maytal Hannah, who has offered to make my ring for much cheaper than Tiffany’s $3600 price tag, and ID Jewlery, who can do it for even less. I'm awaiting a quote from Leon. As we've gone slightly above budget on my e-ring, I'd like to save as much as I can on my wedding band. I plan to go into ID when I have my e-ring so I can try on a few options and make sure the ring can sit flush with my e-ring (apparently the ID open basket setting sits a little higher than the closed basket setting). I am a little concerned after reading some reviews about loose stones in ID's shared prong rings.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for good quality open basket, half shared prong very low set bands!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Quest for the Perfect RB Solitaire Has Led Me to Leon Me

What a great review! thank you for sharing all your details and your appointment impressions! Looks like your setting is going to be a real beauty!

I think you are doing the right thing by waiting until your ering is made, then trying on band options. It may be that what you think at this moment is "THE ONE" when you try it on with your ering... hmmm... sometimes it doesn't work out!

Congratulations on your engagement, too!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

That was an excellent and interesting review, thank you for sharing! I love love love Leon's work, and I'm hoping I can have a Leon RHR one day.

Your setting sounds like it will be beautiful, and Leon's Tulip setting is the most graceful Tiffany-style setting I've ever seen. I have to say, I totally cracked up at the burlesque dancer comment in Leon's video description! :lol:

Hopefully the next 5 weeks fly by! Will the proposal be a surprise, or will he give you the ring as soon as it arrives?

imspecializd

Rough_Rock

This is a great review and reference for people who can make the trip into the city! Thanks for sharing. :twirl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I'm very excited for you and hope that your wait goes quickly!! I'm also very much looking forward to lots and lots of photos of your new beauty! Congrats to you both!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A couple of thoughts after having experience with some of the things you mentioned. I had a Leon setting but felt the diamond was set too low and it did not show the diamond to it's best advantage. I and several others here had diamonds reset into the Vatche U-113 which is a Tiffany repro with a slightly thinner shank. So I would very much emphasize that you want your diamond set medium height and not as low as possible, which is what he normally does. Cost me a lot of money to find that out!

Second, I did go with a real Tiffany band myself, but our oldest daughter got married two years ago, and Maytal Hannah made her milgrain beadset band and it is gorgeous! For that .27 ct ring, I'd really go with the real Tiffany ring. Second choice would be Maytal. But you will not get the same quality from IDJ, so do not be tempted by the price.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I am familiar and have worked with all the vendors you mentioned (except the Coco place). In fact, I have purchased from all these vendors - Leon made my e-ring and an eternity band, Steven made my wedding band and other rings, Maytal made a halo ring, and Mark (ERD) sold me a cushion diamond. They are all excellent vendors and I think your reviews are very accurate.

I have three thoughts for consideration:
1. For diamonds, you have to remember that he doesn't usually sell diamonds and I wouldn't expect the same diamond experience as some of the other vendors.
2. In terms of your band, I would also stay local versus going to the other side of the country. You should probably ask Steven for a quote too - doesn't hurt.
3. Did you review the updated work order from Leon to make sure it has been updated to say 1.8mm? I would ask Rachael for a copy of the updated work order to make sure. Leon functions off the work orders and if it isn't written down - you are out of luck if there is a problem. I have noticed that as long as it is written - you will be protected. Leon made my ring wrong but I spent a lot of time on the work order - in fact, I even updated it and sent it back to Rachael with very detailed explanations. So when my ring was made wrong, there were zero issues in Leon correcting the problem.

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Diamondseeker, do you consider the Mark Morrell petite sunburst low to medium height? If so you're right, I think I'm going to need to ask to change that on the work order. I already suspected as low as possible might be too low, but when my boyfriend raised it with LM he convinced him it should stay as low as possible.

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Charmypoo, thanks so much for telling me about your experience with updating the work order, that is very useful to know! I will check in with Rachel early in the week (I got an out of office reply that says they've been out of the office for a few days, so I'll give them a couple days to respond to my email).

Did you have to sign a new work order every time you made a clarification/ amendment?

It's so helpful to know you also questioned and clarified things on your work order. I showed your post to my boyfriend as evidence I'm not crazy and it's perfectly normal to refine the work order! I think I'll be asking Rachel to change my work order to say 1.8mm and possibly to ask to have it set low to medium high rather than as low as possible.

The work order in its current state has a picture of the R4770 and of the MM petite sunburst and reads:

To make a ring based on catalog attached image r4770 with
following specifications:
1.51 carat round diamond to be set as low as possible with 6
single claw prongs
2 mm plain rounded raised straight shank"

Aside from changing to 1.8mm, do you ladies think that fully captures the look I'm going for (the R4770 head with the MM petite sunburst style thin raised shank)?

amandaz

Rough_Rock

And thanks all for your kind words! I found this site and all your experiences and photos extremely helpful, so I wanted to return the favor and hope knowing about my experience can be of use to some :)

I will be posting pictures as soon as that ring is on my finger!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amandaz|1360454192|3376372 said:
Diamondseeker, do you consider the Mark Morrell petite sunburst low to medium height? If so you're right, I think I'm going to need to ask to change that on the work order. I already suspected as low as possible might be too low, but when my boyfriend raised it with LM he convinced him it should stay as low as possible.

It is hard for me to really compare since I haven't actually seen a MM ring in person, but it does appear that there is a nice doughnut under the prongs which may raise the stone up a little. "As low as possible" is just not a good balance to show off the stone, in my opinion. And my diamond was close in size to yours, but it was in his classic basket setting. He just likes stones very low. My setting now might be considered low, but it is higher than the Leon setting was!

I am going to show you how my wedding band was at the height of the prongs and not the base/doughnut on the Leon ring and then you can see how the same band works so much better with my new ring, which is not set high, but it just isn't super low like the Leon was.

leontiffany2.jpg

leontiffany3.jpg

img_562.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Now, as far as the wedding band goes, I am going to tell you why I'd go with Tiffany for that. I am sure that setting is cast, and that is good because it will be perfect. Someone else will have to try to make it from scratch. Maytal did work for Tiffany and that is one reason I would consider her to make it, but really and truly, I think it is worth it to get the Tiffany. I have seen no wedding bands made better than theirs for the styles that they make. (Yes, some people get pave wedding bands to match their e-rings from Leon, Steven, and Victor Canera and those are great.) But for that .27 shared prong band, I would be afraid to expect anyone to duplicate it exactly, and it is perfectly made by Tiffany. I actually have a picture of it with my 1.5 ct. diamond, too!

9_stone_.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DS this is an excellent visual of setting heights - thank you for posting these pictures.

I too appreciate the detailed post. I wish you all the best in getting the exact ring that you want but would certainly make sure the work order states the mm of the shank and also directly addresses the issue of setting height. There is nothing like having it in writing.

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Agreed, thank you Diamondseeker, it is really helpful to see it in the pictures (and I love your new setting and your wedding band, just gorgeous!)

Missgotrocks, I never thought about the mm of the shank before. Do you have any idea how I could even find out the mm of the shank in the MM rings and other rings in that style?

And do you ladies think it's too much to email Rachel to ask to amend the thickness of the band to 1.8mm, the height to low and the shank to a certain mm? I'm naturally a polite person and I'm not sure when I've crossed the line from advocating for myself to annoying them to death! But at the same time I only plan on doing this once and would really love for it to be perfect!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amandaz|1360471881|3376519 said:
Agreed, thank you Diamondseeker, it is really helpful to see it in the pictures (and I love your new setting and your wedding band, just gorgeous!)

Missgotrocks, I never thought about the mm of the shank before. Do you have any idea how I could even find out the mm of the shank in the MM rings and other rings in that style?

And do you ladies think it's too much to email Rachel to ask to amend the thickness of the band to 1.8mm, the height to low and the shank to a certain mm? I'm naturally a polite person and I'm not sure when I've crossed the line from advocating for myself to annoying them to death! But at the same time I only plan on doing this once and would really love for it to be perfect!!!

My Leon shank was 1.8mm wide, so I know it can be done, and it really wasn't too thin at all. My current one has the illusion of being thinner because of the knife edge shank. As far as the height of the diamond, he is going to make it lower than you ask, probably. So I would say medium-low and not low. Because low to him means "as low as possible". Wedding bands can be 1.5- 2mm in height, so that is really the height I want to see the prongs start at with the doughnut base below it. So yes, by all means I would email Rachel so you have it in writing that you are amending the work order.

(Thanks, MGR, too! Saving all these old pics comes in handy sometimes!)

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Ladies, just as I am emailing Rachel a question dawned on me. I don't think I quite understand the work order. It says "2 mm plain rounded raised straight shank," and so far I was interpreting the 2mm to be the thickness of the band. Do you think that's right or that the 2.. refers to the thickness of the shank? In which case maybe I should leave it alone?

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Because of my not understanding what the 2mm actually refers to, I was thinking of amending the work order as follows (additions in bold):

1.51 carat round diamond to be set medium-low with 6 single claw prongs
Around 2 mm top height plain rounded raised straight shank
Band width under 2 mm (slightly less at top width)

I am really bad with putting terminology to the band/shank/height look I'm going for... do you ladies think this would make sense to them? I lifted some of this terminology (top height, fact the width is less at top, etc.) from this Brian Gavin link (because I can't find specs for MM rings and the Brian Gavin looks similar to MM and Tiffany in those respects): http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/tapered-tiffany-style-half-round-18k-white-gold-5540w18

Thanks ladies!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Do not tell Rachael to make changes until you have all your decisions ironed out. The more changes you make and more indecisions will lead to a higher change of error. Email Rachael to let her know that changes are coming and to hold on the work. Re-write the text and give it to her. Ask her to send you the revised work order for your reference when she is done.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I am going to throw something in here. This head is and always will be my favorite for a plain solitaire setting.

r1014_018Ww.jpg

This is another design Leon has to prevent rings from spinning.
r4127_018Ww.jpg

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Charmypoo, I absolutely love the head on that Leon design too! Problem is I'm going for a 6 claw and that's a 4 claw design. I'm not sure how it would work with 6 claws and a lot more metal would be involved, so I think I'm best off with the R4770, as that exposes maximum amount of the stone.

You're right, I should wait to gather my thoughts and understand what I want before I contact Rachel so I don't have to do this again. The problem is, my not understanding what that 2 mm refers to has thrown me off a little... if it is referring to the top height because of the raised height then the work order is pretty accurate as is, I just need to change the height (not even sure if I need to clarify I want to go under 2 mm for width of the band as Leon said he aims to do that anyway).

I have no idea whether my rephrasing above will make sense to them... this is confusing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Height of the shank and width of the shank are two different things, obviously. In my working with him, the shank height was never mentioned (because I didn't know to be that specific back then!). But I would ask for 1.8mm wide shank, personally. The height of the shank itself on my ring was fine and allowed for wedding bands to not exceed the height of the e-ring shank. It was just that the doughnut was so low and the prongs began way below the height of the shank which made the stone sit too low. As I said before, I consider my current stone to be set low, but it is at a better height than the Leon ring.

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Thanks Diamondseeker, I think I understand it a little better now. Would you say in your new setting the shank width is around 1.8 mm too? I think it looks perfect!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks! Yes, I think at the base it is about 1.8mm. Since it slopes to a ridge, it has the illusion of even being thinner. I just think the more delicate shank is more complimentary to the diamond and it also allows for a diamond wedding band also stand out. It took me a couple of tries to get to this point, but I am 100% happy (other than I may upgrade the diamond!).

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Thanks Diamondseeker, that's really helpful for me to know, as your setting with an R4770 head is basically exactly the look I'm going for. Do you think my revisions to the work order conveys this now?:

1.51 carat round diamond to be set low-medium with 6 single claw prongs
Plain rounded raised straight shank around 1.8 mm wide at the base or less
Band width around 1.8 mm

And I know there's always the temptation to upgrade the diamond, but I really think everything about your ring looks just perfect on your hand!

amandaz

Rough_Rock

I finally re-edited and sent a re-wording of the work order to Rachel. Will be in touch when I have pictures!

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Update: I spoke with LM himself this morning. He was really kind and patient and I feel so much more comfortable going ahead now :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

amandaz|1360600890|3377519 said:
Update: I spoke with LM himself this morning. He was really kind and patient and I feel so much more comfortable going ahead now :)
Wonderful to hear, now you will feel completely comfortable going forward, knowing you have expressed your desires DIRECTLY to the man himself!! Great update--- and now... how long must we wait for the big reveal??? Not like we are eager or anything... ;))

amandaz

Rough_Rock

Enerchi|1360603605|3377564 said:
amandaz|1360600890|3377519 said:
Wonderful to hear, now you will feel completely comfortable going forward, knowing you have expressed your desires DIRECTLY to the man himself!! Great update--- and now... how long must we wait for the big reveal??? Not like we are eager or anything... ;))

Yes, now that Leon has resolved any concerns I had I can just focus on getting excited to receive my ring!

It will be another 4 weeks and a day if it takes the 6 weeks contemplated by the work order. Although Leon indicated the ring was almost complete so I may get it much sooner... I will certainly keep you posted!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great! Can't wait to see it!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Sounds great! Sorry for coming back in late but it sounds like you have it all sorted out.

The one thing I am trying to understand what you are describing ... are you talking about a tapered shank? Ie... fatter and then skinner when it comes closer to the head?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results