shape
carat
color
clarity

quesiton about setting a stone

kt

Shiny_Rock
If I have a stone, and then I get a LOGR halo setting to fit it - what is a reasonable amount to expect to pay to have the stone set? How long should it take? And, what should I "watch out" for? There are a couple of places near where I live who can do this but no one wanted to give me a rough idea how much it would be until they saw the setting (though I explained it was a 4-prong design w/ a halo).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the stone. If you have a hard enough stone, and a halo which is of the right size, it should not, really, be expensive. A jeweler in a store next to my appraiser's office set my cc garnet in a pronged mounting for free. Granted, he knew me, but he said it was nothing. Unless the stone is soft like a tanzanite or potentially difficult to set because of inner cracks (such as emerald), then of course, the price may be high. One store wanted to charge me $ 100.00 for taking an emerald out of prongs and bezeling it, and to this day I do not know if the price was high or low. Which kind of a stone is it?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've paid as low as $15 and as high as $50 to have a stone set. I think around $25 is reasonable (that's what Daniel M is charging me for some stone setting and repair work, for example).

ETA: There should be some variation depending on what the setting and stone look like. Some jobs are much more labor-intensive than others. So I don't think what the jewelers are telling you is unreasonable.

kt

Shiny_Rock
It's the pinky orangey cushion spinel that I just got (no fracture type stuff) - i just got a simple LOGR 4 prong halo for it, but I also paid to upgrade the diamonds so I'm hoping that setting it is not going to cost me a ton more. I've never gotten an LOGR setting or had a jeweler ONLY do a setting so wasn't sure what to expect! Thanks!! :wavey:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a simple prong-type halo it should be around $ 30.00 but some jewelers would charge you "for the time", which is always more costly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A spinel is a hardy enough stone to set in a simple 4 prong setting as long as the bench person doesn't get all gungho and apply too much pressure to the prongs enough to chip the girdle. Sadly, I've seen such a thing happen. As for how long it takes, it's quite a quick process (within the day) so it then depends on the benchperson's schedule. Cost will vary depending on where you are because I've seen offers from as low as $25 all the way up to $150.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results