shape
carat
color
clarity

Ques on 2 Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gs2004

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on the these two diamonds? Either or both good deals? One better than the other?

First-time buyer here purchasing for engagement ring... quotes from a jeweler acquaintance of mine:

Both diamonds are Round.. don't have crown and pavillion information, not sure how to obtain.

(1) D SI-2 1.54 ct (7.28*7.32*4.64), Depth 63.6, Table 57, Pol/Sym Very Good, Med Blue fluorescence --> $8,193

(2) I VS-2 1.51 ct (7.23*7.32*4.50), Depth 61.9, Table 62, Pol Very Good, Sym Good, No fluorescence --> $7,588

All input & opinions greatly apprecaited!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
What shape are these?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You'll also need to provide crown and pavillion information for informed opinions.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it would be greta to have a Sarin report (giving those angles) and /or an Iscope picture of each. From what I can see, neither stone is an absolute bargain (these price range contains quite a few non-ideals), the second could be cheaper... a tad. The first is deeper cut than I'd wish it (as in who needs 63% depth when 59 is ok?) and it could have some visible inclusion. From the two, I would probably take a second look at the D-SI since it is better priced though, assuming neither is ideal cut anyway. I suspect that the 'good price' on this stone may be due to visible inclusions on top of the med blue fluorescenece which did lower the price to begin with. Have you seen these ? The least I would do before buying one would be to see an ideal cut somewhere (branded ones, such as 'Harts on Fire' or Lazare Kaplan's stones seem to be available) and see whether whatever difference the cut makes is important. Most would say it is...

Just a thought, of course.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
From the info you've posted so far,....

#1 has a small diameter for the carat weight. You would pay for carat weight you won't see due to the depth. Similar color/clarity/carat weight/table & depth % diamonds currently being offered by Price Scope Vendors average in price between $7500 and $7800.

#2 has a larger than average diameter variance. Diameter variances are typically tighter,... in the range of 0.5mm or less. This diamond might appear out of round. The price seems in line with similar color/clarity/carat weight/table & depth % diamonds currently available.

If you could post crown and pavillion angles, you would get more informed opinions. You should especially review Sarin/OGI info prior to giving serious consideration to diamond #2. The table/depth combination lends itself to a smaller range of angles combinations that will produce a good performer.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Are these stones certified, and if so, by whom? Without that info we can't begin to tell you if the price is good or not. Also, ask the jeweler if he can measure the crown and pavilion angles via a "sarin analysis."

The first stone is cut too deep. A stone of that size should have a diameter around 7.4, give or take a millimeter. Also, medium blue flourescence is usually undesirable in a "D" colored stone, although the affect on the stone's appearance may (or may not) be negligible. There are 1.54 D SI2 round diamonds going on Pricescope right now from $5645 to $10534.

The second stone only has good symmetry, so it may not be as brilliant as could be. Again, however, without knowing the angles, there's no way to tell if these stones are cut well or not. Maybe that's really not a priority for you, but it does make a big difference in determining a fair price.

Some advice (disclaimer: advice not purported to be worth more than 2 cents)
1.gif

D to I is a big range for color. It sounds like your jeweler friend has not shown you much of a selection. Examine the two next to each other. Can you tell a big difference? If you can, you might consider a bump up from "I," but "D" is really paying a lot for something you can't really see.

Get a stone that comes with a GIA or AGS certificate.

Try to find a stone with a depth under 62% -- this way the stone won't look smaller than it really is.

If you go with SI2 clarity, make sure you can't see the inclusions or that they don't bother you.

Here are some stones in your price range:
1.55 I SI1 H&A

1.50 G SI1

1.52 J SI1 AGS0

Anyway, I would either get more info on these stones or keep looking. You don't have enough information or selection at the moment to make a good decision, but as it is, neither of the stones is jumping out at me as being a potentially well-cut stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results