shape
carat
color
clarity

Query on mahenge spinel and refund

Tuffy

Rough_Rock
i just ordered a spinel from ajs gems and am thinking whether to return it. I am not sure how long it would take for a refund to be made. Can anyone share their experience? Also, I believe I am supposed to return by registered post. Would a refund be made only upon receipt of the stone? What if touch wood the stone is lost in transit? :confused:

Incidentally, the stone looks fine and fairly intense under daylight but I put it under a white lamp -Not sure what is the make - the stone looked washed out and pale. Does it mean it is not saturated enough?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irregardless of saturated or not, if you do not like how it looks, just send it back.
I do not know how to send an inexpensive stone, but I do use FEDEX for returning more expensive stones. You are always running a risk with returns, and sooner or later something will be lost in transit, it is just a function of numbers, but most of us take this risk. Ask them if they have a partner close to area where you live. Many vendors have partners in USA.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Why not share a picture of it here?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During the hunt for my Mahenge spinel, I purchased and returned several expensive ones. I was lucky that everything went well during the process. I sent them back via USPS express mail, insured so that I would have a tracking number and could see where in the route they were. It was very scary because you could not claim the true value on the customs form. I was at the mercy of the system but thank goodness it was all good. The most expensive gem was 7K, others 3-4K. I almost had problems with a 3600 and 7000 gem because of customs.

Looking back I have to say I will think twice before doing it again.

Tuffy

Rough_Rock
here's a picture I took today - one of the nicer colours I see on this stone. I have been walking up and down the entire house with it and it looks different every time. v interesting...

IMG_1846.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is that the one that had a video with it? That was my dream stone!

fzpanda

Rough_Rock
I agree with crasru 100%. If your stone doesn't make your heart sing, send it back. I am sure there must be a good reason why you don't want to keep it.

Your first impression about the stone is typically the most accurate. The more you look at it, and the more you hear others talking about it, the more biased you get. But at the end of the day, you are the one that will be wearing it. I have been in this type of situations many times in the past, and always ended up regretting if didn't return the stone.

For international returns, I always find USPS express (with insurance) quite reliable. Never had any trouble with them. And the charge for insurance is fairly reasonable. If you prefer the safer but slower way, you can always choose USPS register mail, but that will probably take forever..

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a VERY pretty stone but you have to live with it!

Tuffy

Rough_Rock
athenaworth said:

yes it is! I was attracted by the video too.

ladies - thanks for sharing your experience. AJS requires returns by registered post only so not sure how long that would take and whether there would be complications. At the same time, I do find the stone to be rather interesting. Have not seen anything like this before. it really glows in the shade. I still have time to mull over it a bit.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Returns by registered mail can take a few weeks to arrive and then another week to refund. So, say 3-4 weeks until you have your money (perhaps sooner but best to look at worst case scenario).

Your stone is actually very nice and nearly all gemstones will change their appearance in different colour lighting situations. Very few hold the same colour in all. What's most important is seeing it in daylight and then in your house in the evening with the lights you have there. That's how you'll see the stone normally and putting it under a white lamp is artificial and NOT something I'd recommend to help you make up your mind.

For me, I either love a stone at first opening of the package OR occasionally it becomes a slow-burner i.e. I was expecting something wonderful and when it arrived it didn't live up to expectations but after a few days I realise that it's actually a lovely stone and not to be returned. So, live with it for a few days and see how you feel after that.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tuffy|1315068635|3009057 said:
athenaworth said:

yes it is! I was attracted by the video too.

ladies - thanks for sharing your experience. AJS requires returns by registered post only so not sure how long that would take and whether there would be complications. At the same time, I do find the stone to be rather interesting. Have not seen anything like this before. it really glows in the shade. I still have time to mull over it a bit.
You saved me from myself on that one. I went there the other day to seriously consider buying it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuffy|1315065524|3009031 said:
here's a picture I took today - one of the nicer colours I see on this stone. I have been walking up and down the entire house with it and it looks different every time. v interesting...

It's very pretty for a pink spinel, but it's not saturated for a Mahenge spinel. JMO. If you paid a huge price, I would send it back, especially if that's one of the nicer colors you see on that stone.

Tuffy

Rough_Rock
ladies - thanks for your advice. I have decided to keep the stone - have grown to love it. : =)

do any of you have any suggestions on trilogy setting for such a stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results