shape
carat
color
clarity

Quebec Institute of Gemologists

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

burns

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone and anyone - i have read about the 4 Cs and the Holloway Cut Adviser, the Tolkowsky Ideal etc etc..... However, when I went to look at some diamonds at a non-retail store, they showed me a diamond that was cerified by the Institute of Gemologists in Quebec. Unfortunately, except for the carat size, colour and inclusions, I am not that familar with the charactersics described:

5.59 X 6.66 X 3.88mm
1 RBC D
mediuum-good
VS2 I
1.o2 carats
$4,500 Canadian

fluorescence F blue

Any advice would be much appreciated.

burns

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am Canadian and am unfamiliar with the Gemology group you mention. Do you have any other data besides what you''ve posted? As well, I couldn''t glean from your message whether the color of the stone you mention is a D or an I.

cheers

Sharon

burns

Rough_Rock
Hi Sharon, thanks for your reply. The colour is I. Unfortunately, the only other information that I have is the appraised retail price, which is around $11,000. The merchant is reputable, however, I would like to improve my understanding a bit more.
cheers,
burns

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2004 5:14:46 PM
Author:burns
Hi everyone and anyone - i have read about the 4 Cs and the Holloway Cut Adviser, the Tolkowsky Ideal etc etc..... However, when I went to look at some diamonds at a non-retail store, they showed me a diamond that was cerified by the Institute of Gemologists in Quebec. Unfortunately, except for the carat size, colour and inclusions, I am not that familar with the charactersics described:

5.59 X 6.66 X 3.88mm
1 RBC D
mediuum-good
VS2 I
1.o2 carats
$4,500 Canadian

fluorescence F blue

Any advice would be much appreciated.

burns
Should that be 6.69 x 6.66?

It could be a touch shallow. It''s hard to tell without anymore information. Can you get a Sarin report? My guess would be medium good refers to some sort of cut grade? This would mean that it''s not among teh best in cut, but you need to see it to see how it performs to you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2004 5:14:46 PM
Author:burns
they showed me a diamond that was cerified by the Institute of Gemologists in Quebec.
Well, what is this institute? Is this the precise name ? Do they have a website ? Is it possible to find an official description of why they grade cut this way ? Larger gem labs definitely make this information public (online included).

Between two labs it is also interesting to find if the color and clarity grades are defined in the same way as GIA''s (they use the same numbers and letters to name grades, but this is no telling that GIA''s I color is or even should be the same as what you have in hand).

And lastly, what shape is that ? (oval, radiant... round with a typo...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results