shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality purse options?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey PS, just curious what brands you would recommend for a quality purse at a price point of $500 or less?
I like the idea of an LV (obviously not happening at $500) but I feel like a lot of the cost is for the brand. Brand recognition isn’t very important to me, but quality is.
Hermes bags are lovely but definitely out of my price range (as if I could ever make it off a waiting list anyways LOL).
Right now, I have a leather Coach bag that has been my go to for a few years. It’s still holding up pretty well, however, I’m wondering if there are some other brands in a similar price range I should consider as a replacement.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom and recommendations! This community is full of people who do an exceptional job of researching their purchases so I have no doubt there are some “hidden gems” that I’m not aware of.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you taken a look at the other, purse-related forum? There’s a whole list of contemporary designers on there plus info about lesser known brands.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Have you taken a look at the other, purse-related forum? There’s a whole list of contemporary designers on there plus info about lesser known brands.

I haven’t. Can you post a link or let me know what the name is?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think I’m allowed to mention it here but if you Google it hopefully it should come up!

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Longchamp has well made bags in your price range. I've had one for years, and it still looks great. I have LV and Hermes bags, but I often wear my Longchamp bag. It's very practical.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think I’m allowed to mention it here but if you Google it hopefully it should come up!

FWIW, here are some relevant quotes from PS Forum Polices.
I'd say since purses are not jewelry, you can mention the purse forum here.

No promotional links, links to Facebook, blogs, personal accounts on other sites, items for sale, gofundme requests, contest entries.

Posts of any special promotions/offers/surveys/coupons/quizzes/games and alike from other companies as well as affiliate based URLs are not allowed.

Do not post links or references to any other jewelry information or affiliate websites, forums, videos, blogs, or podcasts.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Tori Burch…..

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite is Brighton. Excellent quality! Also, there are many style options.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Take a look at Cuyana and Polene (France). Both have very nice quality bags for the price point. In fact, I recently purchased a card case from Cuyana. I thought it was better made than a similar Gucci product at about 30% of the price.

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
FWIW, here are some relevant quotes from PS Forum Polices.
I'd say since purses are not jewelry, you can mention the purse forum here.

No promotional links, links to Facebook, blogs, personal accounts on other sites, items for sale, gofundme requests, contest entries.

Posts of any special promotions/offers/surveys/coupons/quizzes/games and alike from other companies as well as affiliate based URLs are not allowed.

Do not post links or references to any other jewelry information or affiliate websites, forums, videos, blogs, or podcasts.

I believe the other forum being referenced has a jewelry sub-forum, so not sure how the rules apply in that case.

OP, if you want good leather, I recently purchased a tote from Portland Leather Goods and it reminds me of original Coach leather from decades ago. I was quite pleased with the purchase, especially for the price, though I do wish they had more color options (not just a selection of mostly neutrals).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the other forum being referenced has a jewelry sub-forum, so not sure how the rules apply in that case.

OP, if you want good leather, I recently purchased a tote from Portland Leather Goods and it reminds me of original Coach leather from decades ago. I was quite pleased with the purchase, especially for the price, though I do wish they had more color options (not just a selection of mostly neutrals).

Thanks.

I've reported this issue to admin to get their input.
I think it's good we let them know when their policies could use updates or clarifications.

For instance, the rule says no links to personal YT videos since they are "personal accounts on other sites".
To protect the privacy of posters (the apparent reason for the rule) I used to report the rare violations.
Since admin did nothing, they apparently allow them now so I gave up reporting the "rule violations".
Personal YT videos are very common now.

But shouldn't Form Policy be updated to reflect admin's updated behavior?
Also, lab-created diamonds are ubiquitous on RT now, though prohibited by policy.

I don't care what the policies are, but over the years the policies should perhaps be reexamined to reflect changes in the diamond market, and social norms. (I've also reported this post to admin.)
Admin doesn't have time to read every post/thread so it's important to include them in conversations about PS administration.

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I too am very happy with my Portland Leather Goods bags....affordable enough to buy in multiple colors. I am bummed that they stopped their Deal of the Day.

(Highly recommend Chamberlain Leather Milk for buffing our scratches)

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I love Marc Jacobs bags! I’m carrying a 5 year old aqua one now and it looks great! Used mostly in the spring and summer. Very well made and fashionable.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I would recommend AGAINST Michael Kors. I bought one new from their boutique a couple years ago and it started falling apart right away. I usually keep my purses for 10+ years and have never, ever had a purse fall apart before, let alone after only 6 months of use. This was my first first and last Michael Kors. Never again for me!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I’m eye balling some options from Portland leather- I actually love that it’s not a super branded bag, and that leather looks so nice, like it will age really well.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I like Madewell, which looks surprising like Portlandt to me. I've never heard of the brand before, interesting. Madewell has some pretty good sales, I don't think I've ever paid more than $70 for any of their purses. The quality seems decent to me. A friend likes Rebecca Minkoff, the leather seems like good quality. I have some Longchamp but never use them since I prefer crossbody bags with more organizations.

baublelove

Rough_Rock
I’ve had very good luck with Gucci leather handbags. If you can get to one of their outlet stores, you might be able to hit that $500 and under price point. I bought a large, slouchy leather crossbody bag for travel in 2008 and it’s my go-to bag when I travel. It’s not too heavy for a big bag and it holds a lot. It’s only now starting to show a little wear where the straps attach to the bag (I weigh it down with a lot when traveling). It still looks great after 14 years.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fan of Portland Leather bags. I have the mini-tote in three leathers. Love the style, love the leather!

My other go-to is Dooney - their florentine leather bags are very nice. I have the Zip Zip Satchel, in pebbled leather, in many colors. The style of that bag is my favorite to carry.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend AGAINST Michael Kors. I bought one new from their boutique a couple years ago and it started falling apart right away. I usually keep my purses for 10+ years and have never, ever had a purse fall apart before, let alone after only 6 months of use. This was my first first and last Michael Kors. Never again for me!

Good to know! All my Michael Kors are at least 10 years old!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Looks what I picked up today @missy , @Dee*Jay @MaisOuiMadame! Longchamp is my go to brand and I have been stalking this purse for a month now….good things come to those who wait albeit impatiently!

I finally found it on Nordstrom's website and actually went in-store to pic it up because I didn't want it to get lost during shipping! Happy end to my first world problem 30262B6F-DA1C-47AE-87E9-617116660D18.jpeg

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @anangel for starting this thread and to all the people who recommended the Portland Leather Bags!
I think their totes are just what I've been wanting for my use around the house.
I have a question for @rainydaze or anyone else who owns the mini-tote.
Does the crossbody strap hook/snap on, or is it sewn in?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @anangel for starting this thread and to all the people who recommended the Portland Leather Bags!
I think their totes are just what I've been wanting for my use around the house.
I have a question for @rainydaze or anyone else who owns the mini-tote.
Does the crossbody strap hook/snap on, or is it sewn in?

It has latches that clip onto d-rings just inside the top. It is removable.

Reactions: BMI

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Do any of these brands have interior dividers/sections, or do they just have one big compartment with side pockets?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Looks what I picked up today @missy , @Dee*Jay @MaisOuiMadame! Longchamp is my go to brand and I have been stalking this purse for a month now….good things come to those who wait albeit impatiently!

I finally found it on Nordstrom's website and actually went in-store to pic it up because I didn't want it to get lost during shipping! Happy end to my first world problem 30262B6F-DA1C-47AE-87E9-617116660D18.jpeg

Yay, you found it!!!

I was thinking of you, I hunted down a specific Coach bag last week that I wanted for spring! I’ve never gotten any of their logo canvas (I am not usually an all-over logo person and generally go for simple leather designs) but it felt so cute with the pink accent :love:

I like Coach and Longchamp, although I do own a few Chloe bags and a Gucci swing tote!

955B1A33-09C5-4C78-A0FC-35AC779610CA.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh wow, I really love that - and even more in your picture than in any of the website photos! Super happy you were finally able to get it!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, I really love that - and even more in your picture than in any of the website photos! Super happy you were finally able to get it!

I love the size, just big enough for my wallet, makeup bag and phone, but small enough to not be heavy.

Attachments

• 5F089C08-4777-4BE9-B0AA-58A8F6EF7FF1.jpeg
    5F089C08-4777-4BE9-B0AA-58A8F6EF7FF1.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 26
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results