shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality or Quantity

sar20111

Rough_Rock
I'm having difficulty deciding on the center stone. I have 2 options -- .91, D, VS2 or 1.04, G, VS2. Both are GIA certified and are only separated by $500. Suggestions?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have images or more information (GIA report number?)

have you seen these in person?

sar20111

Rough_Rock
I do not have any images nor do I have the GIA number. I just saw them in person side by side 1 hour ago. I could notice the difference in both size and color. The color was noticeable from the side, but I figured the prongs would cover the majority of the sides. There was little or no noticeable difference in color from a birds eye view. The .91 obviously looked a little better, but I know how women are about being able to say they have a full carat.

The stones are going on a Hearts on Fire semi-mount with .51 G-H, SI1-SI2, diamonds on the side.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
are these hearts on fire stones?

sar20111

Rough_Rock
They are not Hearts on Fire stones. I'm not wanting to pay that much money. My gf fell in love with the semi-mount (actually cried when saw it), which is reason I'm sold on it. We've looked many places and nothing seems to compare to this ring.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would go back and look at them in different lighting to see how you feel about the size and color. Also if you have the GIA report #s you can look up the numbers and we can comment on them (or you can use tools like HCA to evaluate)

when you were shopping with your GF did she prefer the higher colors? or did she really want a 1 carat stone?

sar20111

Rough_Rock
Sounds good. I'm going back tomorrow and taking my mom. Hopefully our decision will reflect one another.

While looking with my gf she never once mentioned color, clarity, cut, etc. She has however made it known to me that she would like a carat but would be ok with something smaller. How smaller, I'm not sure. I'm probably more picky than her when it comes to this which probably has to do with it being my money. I just don't want to jeweler to get the best of me.

The jeweler did state they would give me the full amount of money I pay for the .91 if I wanted to get a larger stone later.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
did one stone seem 'better' to you? G is still very colorless so if the cut is equal then I would pick the G...but we do not know anything about cut.

sar20111

Rough_Rock
The .91 seemed better to me. I could notice the difference in size and color. I'm certain I would have just went with the 1.04 if the .91 was not an option sitting beside it. The 1.04 seemed to have a light yellow flourescent to it compared to the .91 looking from the side angle. Was this the lighting or is this normal for a G color?

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really, G is totally white and colorless if correctly graded. When you say the D "looks better" are you simply referring to more colorless? It will, of course, be more colorless, but that is not always "better" if the stone does not sparkle and have as much life. If you are set on these two, then you need to look at them in many different lighting environments alone and together, look at which one has more movement and light play, which one catches your eye more.

If she said she ways a carat, though, I would get the larger one and make her happy. ETA: She specically said she would like a carat and did not mention color, so I think you should take that to heart in the decision. She clearly has a priority :))

sar20111

Rough_Rock
Yes I was referring to looking more colorless. The 1.04 had what seemed like a faint yellow tint in comparison. I thought it would have to be a lower grade than a G to notice this. I was wanting atleast a carat myself just for the appreciation aspect as I was under the assumption that a carat or greater held their value and appreciated more so than less than a carat.

I guess I will compare again tomorrow under different lighting and get them to show me other 1.00 ct stones so I could compare.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the cut were the same I would go with the G. When you go back...dont look at them side by side initally. Ask them to just bring
the G out and look at it by itself.

Get the GIA cert numbres. Post them here. One may have a better cut than the other that you can only tell from looking at them
under various lights.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a D and 2 G's and I can see the difference in color easily. So I believe you that you can see the difference, and if it bothers you now it always will.

But cut quality is king - an ideal cut stone will perform better and face up bigger visually than a more poorly cut stone. GIA numbers would be extremely helpful here!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a G color stone as an engagement ring and I think it's very colorless. I am very color sensitive. With that said I've not put it next to a D color stone. So keep in mind that you will not be putting your G color engagement ring next to a D color stone.

Another thing to be concerned about is the cut. A stone that is not excellently cut can show color much easier due to light concentration...etc. I have seen a GIA "very good" cut E color stone looking "slightly yellow" because of its cut. It did not look much "better" than an H color stone to my eyes. So make sure you are comparing apples to apples. You cannot compare the colors unless you know the two stones are both well cut.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I find that jewelry store spotlighting makes diamonds look more 'yellow'. In real life a well cut G should be very white.

sar20111

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. I will try to get the GIA numbers today and will look at each diamond by themselves in various lighting settings.

sar20111

Rough_Rock
Here's the numbers:

.91ct GIA# 210169782
1.04ct GIA# 12567990

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes I would insist on excellent cut (and at least very good polish and symmetry)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We cant tell you anything about the cut of the stones because the reports are old. Have you looked on line for stones?
What price is he offering these for? You would probably want to have the stone checked out by an independent apprasier
to make sure the stone is still in good shape. (the stone you decide on). I would probably not buy one of these unless
they were re-submitted to GIA or if they had a really good return policy so I could check it out under all different lighting
conditions AND if the price were REALLY good. Otherwise its not worth it (to me).

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
You might be able to get a better deal on line for the diamond and then you get just buy the setting local. If you wouldn't mind posting your budget for the stone, I am sure people could find you some options to choose from.

sar20111

Rough_Rock
There was a number missing from the .91. Below is the right number. The only thing that is holding me back now is the "Faint Flourescence" and "crystal, clooud, feather". Am I overthinking this?

GIA: 2101696782

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

sar20111

Rough_Rock
I did read the above. The GIA number 2101696782 is the right number. It was previously missing a 6 which is the reason it did not show. This report was issued on April 28th, 2009 and has an excellent cut.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Report Type: GIA Diamond Dossier®
Date of Issue: April 28, 2009
Laser Inscription Registry: GIA 2101696782
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.18 - 6.24 x 3.86 mm

Carat Weight: 0.91 carat
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted (3.5%)
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Faint

Clarity Characteristics:
Crystal, Cloud, Feather

Based on the information given, I would still pass on this stone. This stone is 'steep deep' despite being a GIA EX. I would strongly encourage you to find a different stone.

sar20111

Rough_Rock
So how much could you get a diamond that meets your standards for? Let's say D, VS2, excellent cut and meets your standards in proportion/cut...

sar20111

Rough_Rock
Lets say .91 and 1.00

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
D VS2 is very limited and you pay a premium for the D color. What are your minimum specifications for a diamond? Is a 1 ct. diamond important and are you willing to go higher in color without sacrificing cut to get to that mark? What is your budget? If you are unsure of a good way to determine your minimum specifications I would suggest looking at HOF or go to Jared's and look at their Peerless diamonds. Look at different clarities, sizes, and colors. Set a budget and then that information here and we will be glad to help you find a diamond.

To answer your question, I personally like the cut precision of H&A stones and would buy a BGD Signature H&A...1.05 D VS2 is about $16,000. However, I am not the purchaser or recipient of the stone so these may also be viable options:

.901 D VS1 for $9,500
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2668669.htm

1.00 D VS2 for $13,100 (need to request IS image)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1395125.asp

sar20111

Rough_Rock
Those are nice stones. They're not out of my price range but I'm not willing to pay that much. I'm getting the stone and hearts on fire setting (valued at $3,995 straight from HofF) for about the same price as the .901 you have listed, and thats after tax.

Hopefully it'll work out. It'll have to because I'm about to go crazy spending all this time looking for a diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results