shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Everyone here seems to know what they''re talking about. So I was hoping for a little advice. I''m looking to buy a round cut diamond engagement ring and my price range is around $3500-$5500.
I''m generally familiar with the 4 C''s, and I''d say that they are important to me in this order.

1) Cut
2) Color
3) Carat Weight
4) Clarity

I was hoping to get a carat weight somewhere in the .8-1.0 Carat range. I''d really like to get a diamond with a great cut to show off the brilliance, and for color was thinking E-H. Clarity isn''t quite as important, I would go as low as SI1...is this reasonable for the amount of money I am expecting to spend? Any recommendations on what to look for?

thanks!
twirl.gif

villain189

Rough_Rock
Also,

I was origninally thinking of buying in a B&M Mall store just for the convenience and security of buying at an established retailer...but by reading the posts here it has me a bit concerned.

What are some recommendations of some good, trustworthy online retailers, such as what are the most popular and respected online retailers used by members of this forum?
and do any of these places actually have a local B&M store? I would probably prefer to buy from a place such as that.

appl.gif
Thanks!

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Your on the right track.....
Read the posts on PS, and check out the internet retailers on this site.

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
It might help to use the search engine on the homepage to see what characteristics are in your price range. I think you will be pleasantly surprised! I'm not very well-read on rounds, but www.goodoldgold.com has a great site for seeing what hearts and arrows rounds can do as far as brilliance and fire! If you use the PS search engine, vendor sites will be listed for each diamond that comes up...and then you can search their site more. Also, try to find non-mall store B&Ms. This way you can actually see for yourself what you might have read about online!

Good luck!
Colleen

villain189

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info...I'll check it out. I've actually been browsing this site for the past hour and haven't touched half the the info here!

Question, on GIA reports is there a listing that rates the cut? Because on diamond.com they list the cut for diamonds with a GIA Cert.

Cut is rated as:
Ideal
Premium
Good

In that order...here's the report info on the stone I was looking at, it's got a price tag of $4023 and if it really is an ideal cut it looks like a pretty good deal

Report GIA
Report No. RD0900405601301
Shape Round
Carat Weight 0.93
Measurements
Length-to-Width 6.38x6.41x3.83
Proportions
Depth 59.9
Table 56
Girdle VTHNMED
Culet NON
Finish
Polish VG
Symmetry G
Clarity Grade VS2
Color Grade G
Fluorescence NON

villain189

Rough_Rock
Found some nice "A cut Above Hearts&Arrows" at whiteflash. I'll list a link to the specs of the diamonds I'm looking at...do these look like good diamonds? I would be very interested in any of these diamonds...which one looks like the best value?

Here's the link to the review of the 5 diamonds from Whiteflash that I was looking at
a">

Thanks for any advice anyone has...I apprecaite it!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Those are very nice! You might also check out the WF Expert Selection as well. WF just got in a bunch of new stones that have all the info available on them as well.

Here's one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-548790.htm

0.93, H, VS2, priced at $3444.65 with the Price Scope discount. When you contact WF, mention Price Scope and you get a discount on the price.
1.gif

villain189

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that info...what exactly is the Pricescope discount at Whiteflash? Does it apply to all diamonds purchased there?

Thanks, I'll post later with a few more questions once I narrow down my search...thanks again!!
9.gif

villain189

Rough_Rock
Also, one more questions...I'm in the Pittsburgh area and if I buy a diamond online I'd definitely like to have an independant appraisal by a very respectable person...but there are no appraisers listed on this site in Pittsburgh.

Anyone have any information on appraiser's in Pittsburgh?

thanks again

villain189

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know what the Pricescope discount at Whiteflash applies to? All diamonds purchased there? Or just specific ones...thanks!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hey Villian.....

I know the PS discount applies to all the "inhouse" diamonds; I'm not sure about brokered stones.

The diamond you listed from diamond.com is not an "ideal" diamond because of the polish/symmetry.

Of the 5 diamonds you listed from Whiteflash, I like the 1.04 G, SI2 most, with the 1.05 G, SI2 second. Both plots look EXCEPTIONALLY clean - I would ask Brian to eyeball these stones for you. SI2 offers a fantastic way to get the most bang for your buck.

We bought an H, SI2 from Whiteflash, and the inclusions are white/wispy. I cannot find them with the loupe easily, and without magnification....TOTALLY eyeclean. We got SO much more diamond for the money in getting an SI2 stone.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with one of those...but I'll post here again before I make my final decision. So I would assume I can get the pricescope discount on either of those diamonds?

By the way, who is Brian...does he work at Whiteflash? And do you know his email address or where to find it so I can contact him?

appl.gif
Thanks again!
appl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
White Flash gives a 5% discount on in-house diamonds to Price Scope Forum Members. You need to mention Price Scope to get the discount.

Brian Gavin is the cutter of White Flash's A Cut Above Hearts and Arrows diamonds. He has a great eye, is totally honest, and will take the time to fully discuss diamonds with you over the phone. Be sure to have a pen and a pad of paper while you chat. Brian will teach you tons about diamonds when you chat.
2.gif

Dave Atlas of www.gemappraisers.com is a Price Scope Approved Appraiser. He's located in Philadelphia. WF will ship direct to Dave Atlas for evaluation and you don't have to pay for the diamond in advance. Dave Atlas, and any of the Price Scope Approved Appraisers, work for you and report directly to you. If you are satisfied with the appraiser's report, you pay the Vendor, and the appraiser can release the diamond to you.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Yes, Villian......you could get the PS discount on either of those diamonds.....or ANY of the ones you listed, for that matter. The "A Cut Above" diamond line is Whiteflash's own brand.

You just need to ask about the discount when you're speaking with them.

And yes, Brian Gavin does work for Whiteflash - he is the cutter there. He is THE person to speak to about the technical aspects of stones, and he has forgotten more than I'll ever learn about diamonds.

You can contact him by phoning Whiteflash and asking to have him return your call. Alternately, you can send him an PM or email through this board. His user ID is Brianthecutter.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Okay, I emailed both Brain and Dave...and hopefully everything works out and I'll have by ACA H&A Diamond engagement ring within the next couple weeks!

Sorry to keep bothing with questions...but just a couple more!

1) In your opinion, would the Dave Atlas appraisal be enough to satisfy you? It looks like they have an excellent reputation so I am thinking it will.

2) What is the most common, or for that matter best choice for a band to go with "A Cut Above" H&A Diamond. I was thinking 18K gold, but would also consider Platinum...anyone have any statistics on which is most popular or better in their opinion?

And also, would it be crazy to get one of the bands with a few very small diamonds running down the side just below the mounting? Nothing too fancty though, this ACA H&A Diamond should be beautiful so I don't want to take away from that
wavey.gif

I'm probably looking to spend around $250-$500 on the ring and mount...anyone have any advice? I have no idea what the differnce between Tiffany, Cathedral, Shark, etc... is so please help!!

These ones look nice to me, but any recommendations would be appreciated!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/18K-Gold-6-Prong-Tiffany-Style_771.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Platinum-6-Prong-Tiffany-Style_667.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Platinum-Heavy-Tiffany-Style-3mm_715.htm

appl.gif
appl.gif
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
appl.gif
appl.gif

twirl.gif
wink2.gif
loopy.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Villian, your questions are NO bother at all...happy to help!

9.gif

1) In your opinion, would the Dave Atlas appraisal be enough to satisfy you? It looks like they have an excellent reputation so I am thinking it will.

YUP - Dave's integrity is beyond reproach. If he says it's a go, it is.

2) What is the most common, or for that matter best choice for a band to go with 'A Cut Above' H&A Diamond. I was thinking 18K gold, but would also consider Platinum...anyone have any statistics on which is most popular or better in their opinion

Seriously, it's a preference issue. I put my ACA in a yellow gold band; I'm not a fan of white metals. All my other jewelry is yellow gold as well. My friend, Mara, on the other hand, hates yellow and would only opt for platinum. Either one would be nice. Which metal does your GF wear more of? That will tell you.

And also, would it be crazy to get one of the bands with a few very small diamonds running down the side just below the mounting? Nothing too fancty though, this ACA H&A Diamond should be beautiful so I don't want to take away from that
wavey.gif

Again, Villian, that's really a preference thing. Thinner bands tend to make a stone look larger, so a thin Tiffany style band will make the stone appear huge. Going with a slightly thicker band may offset that a bit, but maybe small stones will offset that.

I'm probably looking to spend around $250-$500 on the ring and mount...anyone have any advice? I have no idea what the differnce between Tiffany, Cathedral, Shark, etc... is so please help!!

These ones look nice to me, but any recommendations would be appreciated!!

Cathedral means the sides (shoulders) come up toward the diamond. I'm personally not a fan of them. The Tiffany style ones you listed, however, ARE beautiful.....that's what my ACA is set in, and it makes the stone look enormous. I've gotten more compliments......and this was only supposed to be a temporary setting for me, but it's grown on me to the point where I'm leaning toward keeping it.

I'd start with a simple Tiffany setting and let your GF know that if she'd like to select a setting that suits her more, that's fine.

Congrats - sounds like you are making great progress, Villian.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Which metal does your GF wear more of? That will tell you.

Generally, she wears gold most of the time...for earring and necklaces almost always gold. I'm pretty sure that she said that she prefers gold so I'll probably go with that. She did mention that her friends got Platinum rings, but I am pretty sure that she still prefers gold.

I think I like the Tiffany setting also..thanks for the advice. I'll probably also go with the thinner band, she's petite so that'll be perfect for her, plus it will make the diamond look larger and stand out more like you said. But I am pretty sure that I'll go with the Tiffany setting...i really like the way that looks.

confused.gif

When I purchase this diamond, it will be shipped to Dave Atlas for appraisal...I don't want to have it mounted before it's appraised, correct?

So if I decide to purchase the diamond and the ring both from Whiteflash it would be best to keep them separate and have them mounted here locally in Pittsburgh? Or does Dave have someone who can do the mounting for me also?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well, I purchased my stone and the setting from Whiteflash. I had both shipped to my appraiser (Rich Sherwood).

Before doing so, I called Rich and asked if he knew someone local to him (in florida) who could set it for me once he appraised it so he could ship it to me ready to wear. He did have someone....a master setter, who set it for $50.

Call Dave Atlas and ask him if he can do the setting or, if not, can he get someone local to him to set it. Worth it, in my opinion.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I was hoping for...I'm going to call Dave Atlas and see if he has someone who can set it there in Philly.

That would definitely be ideal, since Dave is held in such a high standard I'm sure he'd have a great setter and that I'd have nothing to worry about with my Diamond being in the wrong hands! I was a bit apprehensive to send it off to someone else or give it to an unknown jeweler to set for fear that I'd get the diamond switched on me...so having Dave facilitate it would be great!

Thanks for all your advice...I think i'll get a great engagement ring for a great price and my gf will be impressed!! Thanks for telling me about the Pricescope discount at Whiteflash also...can't beat no tax and a 5% discount.

I think you've answered most of my questions..but i'll let you know if anything else comes up!
appl.gif
Thanks aljdewey and everyone else for their help
appl.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure, Villian.....just be sure to check back in and let us know which you chose......and don't forget that pictures are mandatory!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

villain189

Rough_Rock
Thanks to aljdewey and Bob Hoskins from Whiteflash recommending the same diamond by the very slightest margin over the other...I just decided a few hours ago to go with the 1.04 Carat "A Cut Above" H&A Diamond from Whiteflash...and I ended up choosing the 18K Gold engagement ring with a 4 prong platinum setting. I'm having both shipped to Dave Atlas, where he will appraise the diamond...and Dave has even agreed to set the diamond for me upon my approval. And I also saved 5% off the price of the diamond from Whiteflash due to the 5% discount you get for mentioning Pricescope!

For now I'm attaching the photo of my diamond that Whiteflash sent to me along with my purchase confirmation!

Thanks for your help again, and I'll be sure to post the completed pictures here!
appl.gif
appl.gif
Thank You Pricescope
appl.gif
appl.gif

jaca_1_04_HandArrows.jpg

villain189

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just had this diamond appraised by Dave Atlas and it looks like it will be a go with this diamond!!
twirl.gif
appl.gif

Just wanted to check back here just before I complete the purchase to check in with the appraisal results.

Dave Atlas & Co.'s appraisal said that the appraiser is in agreement with the AGS gradings, and that the estimated replacement value is $8600(I am paying $4875 for the diamond from Whiteflash).

The diamond was also graded on their AGA Cutting/Proportions Grade as a 1A "Class 1 - American Ideal Cut" with Excellent Polish and Symmetry.

This is all great...right? So there's no reason's not to go through with the purchase of this diamond based on the appriasal??

appl.gif
THANKS!!!!
appl.gif

villain189

Rough_Rock
Here is the AGS report attached...

CI_AGS-4658609 1.047 G SI2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 3/29/2004 7:29:22 PM villain189 wrote:

This is all great...right? So there's no reason's not to go through with the purchase of this diamond based on the appriasal??

----------------

Villian......my GOODNESS......how much better do you think it could get???

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

It's a BEAUTIFUL diamond........buy it (before I decide you're certifiable and buy the darn thing myself!)

hehehehee

Nice choice. Congratulations!

villain189

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the delay in getting this posted but we just got a digital camera a couple weeks ago!!

Thanks again to everyone for all your help in find the perfect engagement ring...she loves it!!!

Couldn''t have done it without Pricescope!

36.gif

e_ring123432323232323.jpg

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Great looking ring and diamond. I guess you changed your mind and went for 6-prong instead of 4. It looks beautiful and your fiance is a lucky lady. Well done, another success with Whiteflash!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It is lovely, there is nothing like a classic solitaire to make me drool!
30.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful. Thank you for remembering to post pics for us. We love eyecandy. Congrats and best wishes to you both.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results