shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality Diamonds London and questions about online shopping

a03b

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am a diamond newbie but getting up to speed. :)

I'm planning to buy my engagement ring online from Quality Diamonds in London. A couple questions:

- First, is Quality Diamonds a reputable vendor?
- Is it OK for a customer to request an Idealscope of the diamond he/she is considering?
- Is it OK for a customer to request to see GIA barcode under a microscope, when he/she is collecting the item? (to verify that the stone you are getting is really the stone you want)
- I will be choosing the diamond online without seeing it in flesh (only relying on GIA report). What problems can I run into? What should I do? IS this a good idea?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Quality Diamonds London and questions about online shopp

I've never heard of them and don't recall seeing them discussed on here so can't really comment. Are you in the UK? Idealscope images seem to be non existent on UK sites, I'm afraid. I think you were given some good advice on cut parameters on a previous thread. Do a search using those on some of the other online vendors sites for comparison.

a03b

Rough_Rock

Snowdrop13|1460269969|4017510 said:
I've never heard of them and don't recall seeing them discussed on here so can't really comment. Are you in the UK? Idealscope images seem to be non existent on UK sites, I'm afraid. I think you were given some good advice on cut parameters on a previous thread. Do a search using those on some of the other online vendors sites for comparison.
I'm an international buyer. But I'll be visiting London soon. That's why I need a London vendor. What about 77Diamonds?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My personal view is that the UK is a pretty expensive place to buy diamonds, however if you can buy and get the VAT back then it might be worth it. I'd head to Hatton Garden armed with the cut info you have from here, visit lots of places and look at lots of diamonds. Get some price comparisons from the sites recommended here to keep you right. I live in the UK and am just about to buy from one of the PS vendors, probably Whiteflash.

a03b

Rough_Rock

I totally agree, UK is crazy expensive. (Thank God the GBP has lost steam in the last months) But as you said, I will be getting a VAT refund and that makes it a bargain. Also note that where I come from, high quality diamonds are impossible to find.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock

Hi. I purchased though them back in 2008 and had a good experience. I dealt with Paul, one of the owners, and he send me a spreadsheet of stones matching the specs I was after at the time (before I discovered Pricescope but after I discovered a world beyond B&M stores) as their search engine wasn't detailed enough.Service was good and they price matched Blue Nile (not sure if they still do).

With the knowledge I have now (that I border on obsessive compulsive when it comes to cut perfection) I would stick with the UK distributor for Crafted by Infinity diamonds. Used to be Indira Marchant but she has retired and not sure who it is now. Depends what you want - if you want superideal stick with CBI (through the UK dealer) or buy in the US, if you don;t mind doing the extra work though a drop-shipper then Quality Diamonds are as good as any (in the UK context).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results