shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality diamond setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ThomasG

Rough_Rock
First off, thanks to all those who regularly post here. I have learned much from you all, and have recently purchased a diamond ring for my girlfriend (now fiancee as of Valentines Day). My question is this:

We all spend hours looking for the smallest inclusions on our diamonds, but, does anyone ever look at how well the diamond is mounted? Compared to the "perfectness" of the diamond, the setting always looks so rough and shoddy under close inspection with a loupe. I got a Tiffany style setting, and the prongs are rough, and the "V" shape is not uniform one prong to the next (the prong is completely touching the diamond in some cases, as isn''t in others). Don''t get me wrong, the diamond isn''t loose, but it seems to me the setter could have done a better job. Am I expecting too much?

Can anyone recommend a diamond setter in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area that does good work?

Thanks again,

Tom

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/24/2004 1:02:25 PM ThomasG wrote:

I got a Tiffany style setting, and the prongs are rough, ... Am I expecting too much?

----------------

No you are not! Those off the rack settings should be outlawed !!! Unfortunately, serious craftmanship is hard to find among US jewelers unless you have your pieces custom made and pay the price...

The existing setting could probably be greately improved (provided it is sturdy enough) by a refinish (polishing the prongs inside out, etc.).

I am afraid I do not know a good jeweler in your area. Hope someone else can help with this. Otherwise, I have heard (and witnessed) nice things about jewelryexpert.com and, on PS Mar Morell's work is often commended. There are other jewelry makers entioned here and I have no doubt their works coud stand detailed scrutiny as well. It is possible to have this done remotely, just like diamonds can be purchased online. Would you consider it ?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I can't recommend a Jeweler in your area (maybe someone else can) but I can absolutely agree with you on the quality of the ring and setting being utmost.

Like most of us, after searching far and wide for the perfect stone to call my own, my BF and I decided that the Vatche settings we saw (an eternal favorite here) just didn't have the kind of quality we were looking for. I saw some rings that looked awful, with some seriously wonderful stones. A woman I know has a 2.78 ct D, VVS1 stone with the UGLIEST and sloppiest setting I have ever seen!

I am getting something custome made for the quality issue alone. I suggest that if you paid money for that diamond, and paid money for that setting, you go there and get back that money for a sloppy job, or just get that ring set to your standards, because after all, it's YOUR money!!!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results