shape
carat
color
clarity

Quadrex stone - need more info!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Hi PSers - I was doing my daily browse when I came across a cut that I had never heard of before - a Quadrex cut. Some of you may know that I am in the market for a new cushion cut - I have a beautiful crushed ice style now, but I quickly realized it is not the style I want long term. I really want the brilliant round look in a square shaped diamond. (I dont like princess, so thats kind of out) It SEEMS like the Quadrex is the cut of my dreams! But I have so many questions:

- it seems illusive, there is almost no information on these stones with a quick google, why?
- is this brian gavin retailer the ONLY place that carries this cut? Did he invent it?
- are any of them GIA certified?
-are they available in larger sizes anywhere? the BG website tops out at just over 2 carats

TIA for any insight, and PLEASE if you have one, post a pic!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin is the inventor and patent holder of this cut, so you can only buy it from him.
Fully validated light performance, just like his signature Black series round H&A diamonds and other BG cuts.
For larger sizes, you will need to contact BG and likely commission a custom order for one in your desired dimensions/carat weight.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Brian Gavin is the inventor and patent holder of this cut, so you can only buy it from him.
Fully validated light performance, just like his signature Black series round H&A diamonds and other BG cuts.
For larger sizes, you will need to contact BG and likely commission a custom order for one in your desired dimensions/carat weight.

Thank you! So interesting, and it looks like some "Square cut radiant" try to mimic the cut.

Are BGs GIA certified?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Nile and James Allen offer similar cut cornered square H&A cuts sometimes. There are also H&A cushions with rounded corners sold by JannPaul, BG, and sometimes BN/JA.

BG gives GIA/AGS reports:

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Blue Nile and James Allen offer similar cut cornered square H&A cuts sometimes. There are also H&A cushions with rounded corners sold by JannPaul, BG, and sometimes BN/JA.

BG gives GIA/AGS reports:

Awesome, thank you! I am going to keep looking

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are cushion H&As

There are also 8 main radiants but you have to hunt for them. (FYI round brilliants have 8 mains)

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
These are cushion H&As

There are also 8 main radiants but you have to hunt for them. (FYI round brilliants have 8 mains)

ooohhhh these are what I've been looking for! Thank you! wow - new world unlocked. now to the bittersweet evaluation of H&A stones! not for the faint of heart! :lol:

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! So interesting, and it looks like some "Square cut radiant" try to mimic the cut.

Are BGs GIA certified?

The Quadex is more like a square cut round with step cut sides. I would NOT ever be interested in a 'mimic' version. As a lover of step cuts and one who loves the sparkle of round but not the 'shape' I suspect a Quadex is in my future.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PSers - I was doing my daily browse when I came across a cut that I had never heard of before - a Quadrex cut. Some of you may know that I am in the market for a new cushion cut - I have a beautiful crushed ice style now, but I quickly realized it is not the style I want long term. I really want the brilliant round look in a square shaped diamond. (I dont like princess, so thats kind of out) It SEEMS like the Quadrex is the cut of my dreams! But I have so many questions:

- it seems illusive, there is almost no information on these stones with a quick google, why?
- is this brian gavin retailer the ONLY place that carries this cut? Did he invent it?
-are they available in larger sizes anywhere? the BG website tops out at just over 2 carats

TIA for any insight, and PLEASE if you have one, post a pic!

You may also like the Brellia with clipped corners by JannPaul.

jewelqueen

Rough_Rock
Trade

TIA for any insight, and PLEASE if you have one, post a bloxd io pic!

As I know, Brian Gavin Diamonds is one of the few retailers that carry Quadrex diamonds. According to the same review on Beyond4Cs, Brian Gavin Diamonds offers a signature line of square hearts and arrows diamonds called Quadex. You can read this article to know more details: https://beyond4cs.com/hearts-and-arrows/quadex-review/

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh, I LOVE the Quadexes! I have one in a pendant! It is just a fabulous stone! Here is the thread on it. (I'm sorry the pics are so bad, but it'll give an idea of the shape.)

I also have a couple of Quadexes that are unset. Here they are alongside a BGD oval. I'm probably going to do a mixed shape 5 stone with these.

I do want to say that they do face up a wee bit smaller than rounds, so that's something to take into consideration. You'll want to look at the dimensions and not just the carat weight.

PXL_20230413_003512421~2.jpg

Please let us know what you decide!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhh, I LOVE the Quadexes! I have one in a pendant! It is just a fabulous stone! Here is the thread on it. (I'm sorry the pics are so bad, but it'll give an idea of the shape.)

I also have a couple of Quadexes that are unset. Here they are alongside a BGD oval. I'm probably going to do a mixed shape 5 stone with these.

I do want to say that they do face up a wee bit smaller than rounds, so that's something to take into consideration. You'll want to look at the dimensions and not just the carat weight.

PXL_20230413_003512421~2.jpg

Please let us know what you decide!

goregous!! Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so taken with the shape - and good note on the dimensions. As a lover of cushions/square its a cross we must bear :(

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your suggestions and vendors to look into - I have inquiries into BG and WhiteFlash (was already working with WF before i came across this shape, and then read that BG was a co-founder of WF? wild!) @Heathcat24 , were you able to visit your stone in person before purchasing, or does BG allow an evaluation period and ship to you first?

If I don't go with the patented BG style, should I be able to request/find H&A cushions from most retailers worth their weight? or is this also a rare cut that should be left to those who specialize?

(Side note - I have become a complete diamond nerd from this platform and truly have seen too much to go back! I sometimes know more than the jeweler I speak to about stones/cuts/etc. I guess it isn't surprising, just like any trade there are those who do it to live and others who live to do it! very cool to be empowered with knowledge though! TIA for all help)

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your suggestions and vendors to look into - I have inquiries into BG and WhiteFlash (was already working with WF before i came across this shape, and then read that BG was a co-founder of WF? wild!) @Heathcat24 , were you able to visit your stone in person before purchasing, or does BG allow an evaluation period and ship to you first?

If I don't go with the patented BG style, should I be able to request/find H&A cushions from most retailers worth their weight? or is this also a rare cut that should be left to those who specialize?

(Side note - I have become a complete diamond nerd from this platform and truly have seen too much to go back! I sometimes know more than the jeweler I speak to about stones/cuts/etc. I guess it isn't surprising, just like any trade there are those who do it to live and others who live to do it! very cool to be empowered with knowledge though! TIA for all help)

A blessing and a curse for sure!

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I was not able to visit my stone. I actually had it set before I saw it. But I really loved it on the video, so I was sure I would love it in person! And I DO! (I'm glad I don't live remotely close to Whiteflash and Brian Gavin. My bank account would be in REALLY bad shape! LOL)

I know BGD will ship loose stones to you, and I think the inspection period is 15 days, but I would definitely check about the return shipping. I have had them set stones for me several times, and I have been required to send the item Registered Mail (which is all kinds of stressful for me, but I digress! LOL) They might send a FedEx label if they know you are returning it to have set. I am not sure how that works, but I would find out beforehand.

As for finding H&A cuts like this from other retailers, I am a bad one to ask because I really like pushing the easy button and getting stones that I know are precision cut and stellar performers. (BTW, I know you like the square cuts, but the ovals are amazing, too!)

Have fun!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
I was not able to visit my stone. I actually had it set before I saw it. But I really loved it on the video, so I was sure I would love it in person! And I DO! (I'm glad I don't live remotely close to Whiteflash and Brian Gavin. My bank account would be in REALLY bad shape! LOL)

I know BGD will ship loose stones to you, and I think the inspection period is 15 days, but I would definitely check about the return shipping. I have had them set stones for me several times, and I have been required to send the item Registered Mail (which is all kinds of stressful for me, but I digress! LOL) They might send a FedEx label if they know you are returning it to have set. I am not sure how that works, but I would find out beforehand.

As for finding H&A cuts like this from other retailers, I am a bad one to ask because I really like pushing the easy button and getting stones that I know are precision cut and stellar performers. (BTW, I know you like the square cuts, but the ovals are amazing, too!)

Have fun!

wonderful! I will be sure to find all of this out. It is very fun - I need a part time side gig to fund my habit even living thousands of miles away, I would never financially recover living anywhere near them!! hahaha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results