shape
carat
color
clarity

Q on this AGS color, h Vs2

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescopers,

This James Allen 2.06 H Vs2 scores FIC 1.6 on the HCA. Even though it’s graded as an H, it looks like a J to me. I’ve read here that AGS can be soft on color grading. JA can’t/won’t send any more photos. Could it just be the lighting? I can’t imagine why they would light stones to look darker than they are. Since it’s an anniversary present, sending it back would be a bummer.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-4455440

What do you think? It’s priced well, but not if it’s a J.

Thanks y’all.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color should not be the main concern with this stone. This stone does not have great proportions, even though it is a AGS0. I would keep looking.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are graded in a face down position so trying to judge whether the stone is off two color grades is difficult. It probably isn't two grades off though.

However, this stone is not very well cut so I would pass on it for that point alone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color isn't my biggest problem here. Like others, I'm concerned about cut. The image on the ags report shows issues, and this won't be a top performing stone. I'd keep looking.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of those AGS000 that I would not buy. There are too many other better options. These are Super Ideal H&A stones. You can ask for a picture
of the 3 stones together to see if the "I" stands out. You can also ask if the stones are high or low colored within their color range.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068026.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068028.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4067968.htm

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The color issue:
color.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Regarding AGS getting soft on color, I had the same experience. I was presented with the option of a super ideal, H & A, perfect ASET than was graded as a G but I can assure you it was least an I and possibly a J as my previous was an I and side by side it was warmer than my I. Very disappointing as the stone was stellar but it was no G.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding AGS getting soft on color, I had the same experience. I was presented with the option of a super ideal, H & A, perfect ASET than was graded as a G but I can assure you it was least an I and possibly a J as my previous was an I and side by side it was warmer than my I. Very disappointing as the stone was stellar but it was no G.
Any pics of the two stones side by side? Your I stone was graded by GIA?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I do not have photos... I already traded in my old diamond and I chose not to get the AGS stone because it was so warm, definitely not a D, and I wanted something much less in color than I previously had. Even the 2 GG gemologists at my jewelers could see it but they have the AGS report so I don’t think they will guide people away from it, per se, but they knew I wanted colorless and they brought in other stones after I rejected that one which killed me to do as it was stellar in cut but I didnt want a warm stone again. While I ended up with a GIA E color and couldn’t be happier about it, I would’ve gone with that exceptional AGS 0 had it been a true G.
My jeweler (who is an AGS retailer) has another AGS stone that he was scratching his head as to how they came to assigning a clarity grade that he said was blatantly no way the grade they assigned to it, that it was most definitely more included.
So I’m just frustrated with AGS on color, and with GIA on 3x! Also, have come across AGS 0s here that are not great based on ASET and or measurements. I guess there are no guarantees! So disappointing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results