color
clarity

Q for ya ladies about hand bags..

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1313646187|2993167 said:
AprilBaby|1313643123|2993136 said:
I am one of the few women who doesn't give a hoot about handbags.

I'll second myself on that one. My most expensive is 500$ purse and I stopped wearing it. I just lose purses all the time...its awful, so I decided I'm never wearing them. I just have my little ID holder that I stick in my back pocket and thats it!

I'm another one that doesnt really care much. I hate changing purses to match an outfit. I just want something pratical and small
that I can wear cross-body to free up my hands. It has to be a basic color that I can wear with anything.

Not a shoe person either...

Edit - oh yeh, I got the pat on the back and good job too. :bigsmile:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, iLander! I'm a member of one purse forum - same board name and avatar as here.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep not a purse person either. I either get fun canvas bags from Target, and also have a couple things from Fossil, which I guess is the most "brand" I get. Maybe it's hereditary. One time my Dad bought my mom an expensive purse for Christmas (back when we were doing well) and she returned it and got a "sensible" purse instead.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1313678468|2993355 said:
Hi, iLander! I'm a member of one purse forum - same board name and avatar as here.

Me too, now! They pretty much intimidated me, but "knowing someone at the party" helps it feel familiar.

I have spent a lot of time over there, lurking and drooling up my keyboard. :bigsmile: I had no idea there were so many permutations on the bag theme, and I think the most fun is learning new things. I can't contribute much, and PS will always be my home, but it'll be fun to pop in once in while.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Coach is huge here with a lot of teens carrying them. Personally I have found a love for Brahmin and buy them exclusively.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy one black coach bag every two to three years and carry it until it's dead. I have a couple evening bags too some of them expensive but I use them rarely... My 13 year old daughter likes Vera Bradley everything. Me...not so much. I'm 48....

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
i'm also one of those women that doesn't care to spend a lot on a purse/handbag. I guess i like change too much where I want a different one after a few months and at those prices it just seems silly. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't care about bags. I wish I could, because they are nice...but I like a small cross body bag because all I carry is a lipstick, small wallet and phone. I love that I can even carry a small bag now that the kid is a toddler...diaper bag days sucked!

If I am going to throw down money, it's on jewelry. It can outlive me. I can wear it all the time and it can still be in great condition to pass down to my kid. Plus my kid is drawn to my jewelry with no encouragement from me. She loves my pendant and asks to wear it someday. Same with my rings. She couldn't give at rat's a$$ about anything else on me. So I love that she might have some memories of looking and playing with mama's jewelry and will enjoying wearing these pieces herself some day.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My DD is into my jewelry and purses. Lucky me. LOL.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1313643123|2993136 said:
I am one of the few women who doesn't give a hoot about handbags.

I'm the same way. I can't imagine spending so much money on a purse.

My favorite bags are Kate Spade.. well.. they were. A lot of the summer collection was hideous. I know they are not expensive, but I just love them.. from the colors, to the shapes. I see too many coach and LV bags everywhere that I don't think I'd ever own one.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I belong to a purse forum. I discovered a brand named Belen Echandia. They are designed in London and made in Italy. I love the styles, leathers, colors and what is called the couture service. If they don't have a bag you would like in stock, you can have one made up for you. The price point is between $500-1200. I don't want to spend more, because then I'm getting into jewelry territory ;)) These bags are well made and I've stopped buying other brands. The biggest drawback is you cannot see them in person. Of all the BE bags I have, there was only one that I didn't care for. It was very popular and someone was more than happy to take it off my hands at full price. Sorry if this sounded like an ad. I just enjoy these bags :!:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1313653212|2993204 said:
April, add me to your list. I don't "get" bags, and I don't care one way or another about designer anything anyway...

Nope. Me neither.

The top price I've ever paid was $120. I would probably never go over $200. And I know I would never sleep at night again if I were to throw thousands at a purse. Or shoes. Or, for that matter, an outfit.

Quite a lot of those 'designer duds' are being sewn by the same factory workers in China, Indonesia, or New York City, that many other textile manufacturers use. Remember the Kathie Lee for Walmart snafu about the unpaid factory workers in NYC? Same people, same factory, were making Calvin Klein and Liz Claiborne clothes/accessories at the same time. Low end, mid-price, and high end. Same "handcrafting". :roll:

As for real haute couture, it can be breathtakingly lovely. But, if you aren't somebody special, with a fabulous life lived in fabulous locales, you're just playing dress up in someone else's closet. Even if you think you can afford fabulous, ordinary lives are best lived in ordinary togs.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carry a leather wristlet from Danier. It's very freeing. Plus my daughter got sick of following behind me in stores picking up things I'd knocked to the floor with my regular shoulder bags. I'm not full of grace. :wacko:

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Well now, don't I feel like the oddball. Guess I've been spending too much time on the purse forum. :wacko:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1313690265|2993516 said:
As for real haute couture, it can be breathtakingly lovely. But, if you aren't somebody special, with a fabulous life lived in fabulous locales, you're just playing dress up in someone else's closet. Even if you think you can afford fabulous, ordinary lives are best lived in ordinary togs.

Well...Burberry may not be haute couture, but I couldn't help but notice over the years how many women seem to have some tiny piece that is Burberry: a silk scarf; a wallet; or some other trinket. I remember Burberry as a maker of raincoats. Now it seems to be a company that exists to sell a tiny bit of its caché to anyone willing to pay the price! One can be dressed in cheap "togs" (to use your term, Holly), but still join the rich and famous by adding a Burberry thingamabob to the ensemble! In other words, I agree with you, Holly. I'd rather just wear my cheap togs than try to be part of something I'm not!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1313673558|2993286 said:
I got into LV & Chanel when I was in my 30'S. Didn't start collecting Hermes until I was 61.

We still need to go to the jewelery store with Kaleigh!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a pretty great collection of handbags (Chloe, Valentino, Salvatore, Fendi). I also have some really good shoes (even though I'm a bigfoot), and yet a lot of my clothes come from Target. I feel like I can wear cheaper clothes and my accessories make me feel luxe. I like feeling that way.

I can't fathom spending a ton of money on a shirt though. That's where I draw the line.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I started buying nice purses in my mid-40s. I have two Louis Vuittons and one vintage Chanel, along with several Kate Spades, a Coach bag, and a Gerard Darel. I take good care of them and rotate them about every 3 weeks. I realized one day that for all of the $50 purses I bought over the years and then threw away, I could spend some money on a handful of good quality bags and keep them basically forever.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:
I belong to a purse forum. I discovered a brand named Belen Echandia. They are designed in London and made in Italy. I love the styles, leathers, colors and what is called the couture service. If they don't have a bag you would like in stock, you can have one made up for you. The price point is between $500-1200. I don't want to spend more, because then I'm getting into jewelry territory ;)) These bags are well made and I've stopped buying other brands. The biggest drawback is you cannot see them in person. Of all the BE bags I have, there was only one that I didn't care for. It was very popular and someone was more than happy to take it off my hands at full price. Sorry if this sounded like an ad. I just enjoy these bags :!:

CUSTOM bags?!! OMG, how awesome! Totally checking that out!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1313691669|2993535 said:
HollyS|1313690265|2993516 said:

Well...Burberry may not be haute couture, but I couldn't help but notice over the years how many women seem to have some tiny piece that is Burberry: a silk scarf; a wallet; or some other trinket. I remember Burberry as a maker of raincoats. Now it seems to be a company that exists to sell a tiny bit of its caché to anyone willing to pay the price! One can be dressed in cheap "togs" (to use your term, Holly), but still join the rich and famous by adding a Burberry thingamabob to the ensemble! In other words, I agree with you, Holly. I'd rather just wear my cheap togs than try to be part of something I'm not!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Exactly. Having a 'piece' of luxury doesn't make your life better or more luxurious. It's just money spent.

If you can afford the whole look, head to toe, then surely you must be living quite the life. I doubt you're spending time on PS. :wink2:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
risingsun|1313689913|2993510 said:

I'm a BE fan too :wavey:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I lose stuff in my handbag so if I can just stuff it in my pockets so much the better. I also hate to carry weight on my shoulders so I only own a few handbags that I use when needed.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1313672636|2993277 said:
Now here's the practical part that you'll appreciate DF; I can sell it. You wouldn't believe the $$ that people spend on genuine vintage/used bags. Most go for only a couple of hundred dollars off the new price, and some go up in value depending on scarcity. I have been looking for one for my DD (I know, I spoil her) and they're over $1000, even if they're 10 years old! That's only slightly less than a new one! When I get tired of this one, I can sell it and get a lot of $$$ back. I'm amazed.

So, I chose mine for purely practical reasons. At least that's what I tell DH :naughty: Actually, he pushed me into it, and insisted I treat myself. He's very nice and I luvz him. :love:

FYI, I'm not defending it, I just want you to understand the full story.
i believe it!! there's a used handbag store in HK doing a lot of business.

hey,why don't you ladies open up a used handbag store?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1313674543|2993303 said:
Dancing Fire|1313646012|2993163 said:
centralsquare|1313645166|2993157 said:
I'm surprised teenagers have coach let alone LV!!!
those are spoiled brats.. :wink2:

No kidding...how do they pay for them???
my younger daughter's BF bought her an LV for her BD and i only seen her carry it one time.my older daughter is into Coach handbags .. :wacko:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1313685149|2993450 said:
I don't care about bags. I wish I could, because they are nice...but I like a small cross body bag because all I carry is a lipstick, small wallet and phone. I love that I can even carry a small bag now that the kid is a toddler...diaper bag days sucked!

If I am going to throw down money, it's on jewelry. It can outlive me. I can wear it all the time and it can still be in great condition to pass down to my kid. Plus my kid is drawn to my jewelry with no encouragement from me. She loves my pendant and asks to wear it someday. Same with my rings. She couldn't give at rat's a$$ about anything else on me. So I love that she might have some memories of looking and playing with mama's jewelry and will enjoying wearing these pieces herself some day.

Ha Traveling Gal I have two girls and they both caught the jewelry bug. My oldest is fascinated with my anniversary ring. She knows she will inherit it when the time comes so she often comes up to me and pretends she is going to pry it off my finger and says "MINE."

mol42

Shiny_Rock
I LURVE handbags. Adore them. Covet them. Find satisfaction in them.
I think the right bag, like good shoes, can finish an outfit. It's like punctuation in a sentence!
My handbag collection consists of about a dozen bags, so not large, but I'm happy with what I've got. (Having said that, I find I am always ONE bag short of a perfect collection!! Funny that. . . . :Up_to_something: ) They range in colors, styles, brands-LV, Prada, Bottega, Chanel, Hermes. . . - but I love them all. Periodically I've considered selling or donating a bag, but then I can't bear to give any of them up!
I, too, belong to a purse forum (well, mostly I lurk) and I am surprised at how YOUNG many of the members are. 20- 30 somethings rocking MANY high end bags. Like, not ONE Birkin, but 5 or 6 or 20 :o

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AutumnNovember:
We still need to go to the jewelery store with Kaleigh!!

I'm ready whenever you are!! :wavey:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1313695716|2993584 said:
risingsun|1313689913|2993510 said:

I'm a BE fan too :wavey:

:wavey: to rosetta! I just BEC'd a matte coffee Covet Me with brass hardware and fuchsia lining. It arrived last week. It's a beauty :))
If you like, we can go to the shopping subforum and talk about the styles we have. What do you think :naughty:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1313692620|2993557 said:
risingsun said:

CUSTOM bags?!! OMG, how awesome! Totally checking that out!
If you have any questions, just let me know :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results