shape
carat
color
clarity

Q about side diamonds in a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Is it true to say that most small diamonds in a setting (.3 and under) don''t typically have certifications? And, if that''s true, what is the best way to ensure getting decent diamonds in settings and in wedding bands?

I know I can look at them through a loupe to see how included they are, and I can see the color to make sure they match up with my center stone, but what about the cut of these small diamonds? Do most people just not worry about the cut since these diamonds are so small and maybe it doesn''t make much difference???

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 1:09:34 PM
Author:karend26
Is it true to say that most small diamonds in a setting (.3 and under) don''t typically have certifications? And, if that''s true, what is the best way to ensure getting decent diamonds in settings and in wedding bands?

I know I can look at them through a loupe to see how included they are, and I can see the color to make sure they match up with my center stone, but what about the cut of these small diamonds? Do most people just not worry about the cut since these diamonds are so small and maybe it doesn''t make much difference???
Are you talking about .03 and under? As opposed to .3? If you''re talking about the very small diamonds set into bands, then I think you''re thinking of .03. .3 is plenty big enough to be an e-ring
2.gif
and will certainly have certification.

Anyway, I don''t believe that that''s true, no. I''m not sure about paper certificates provided by GIA/EGL/etc. (someone more knowledgeable than I will certainly chime in and let you know), but I know that the very small (.019ct) stones in my eternity band are graded for at least color and clarity. Cut quality, I am unsure about.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
No, I meant .3, but specifically I''ve been looking at five stone rings with stones in sizes of .1, .15, or .2.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Oooohhhh! I was hoping more people would chime in. Maybe I just need to be patient?
32.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s true that tiny diamonds usually don''t come with certs. Just buy from a trusted vendor or designer and you''ll be fine.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 1:33:00 PM
Author: karend26
No, I meant .3, but specifically I''ve been looking at five stone rings with stones in sizes of .1, .15, or .2.
.3 will (or can/should) come with a cert. It''s below .1ct that I''m unsure about.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 3:26:59 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/24/2009 1:33:00 PM
Author: karend26
No, I meant .3, but specifically I've been looking at five stone rings with stones in sizes of .1, .15, or .2.
.3 will (or can/should) come with a cert. It's below .1ct that I'm unsure about.
My .01 ACA melee from WF are graded for color and clarity as well. As MrsS said, go with a reputable vendor and you'll be fine.
1.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I have two side stones that are 0.17 each and they do not have any paperwork with them. They came as part of a Scott Kay setting and I was told they would G or better and VS1 or better. No mention was made of the cut, but I can tell you that they are well cut, but not quite as good as the center stone that I picked out. The appraiser said that my sides are actually E-F in color and VS1, so I was happy about that. Like others have said, as long as its a reputable designer or jeweler, you should be just fine.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 2:46:54 PM
Author: mrssalvo
it''s true that tiny diamonds usually don''t come with certs. Just buy from a trusted vendor or designer and you''ll be fine.
Ditto

Date: 2/24/2009 1:09:34 PM
Author:karend26

In the past, we have created 5 stones bands and earrings with diamonds 0.30ct and below. The regular posters above have given great advice. It is true that most shoppers and jewelers don''t find it cost-effective to have reports issued for these smaller diamonds but it can be done. We''ve had clients who really wanted all of the stones to be accompanied by lab paperwork, so we sent them to GIA for reports. It adds quite a bit of cost but it''s possible. Another option, if the goal is reassurance, is to have an independent appraiser verify the piece. A strong, reputable jeweler should be suitable - like most everyone has been saying - but we know from experience that people have different comfort levels.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results