shape
carat
color
clarity

Q About Setting my Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

uncleezno

Rough_Rock
Hi Everybody,

I called Charleston Alexander in Bethesda today, and they told me my setting was finished. I''ve got my stone, so I asked if I could come in and watch it being set. I couldn''t see the woman''s face through the phone, but I got the distinct impression that she thought I was nuts. She told me that I could drop it off, and that they would examine the stone, get the dimensions, figure out the best way to prong it, etc...and that it would be ready in four business days. I was under the impression I''d get to decide how it was being set - I want to make sure they use solder that matches the ring (18k WG), and I was also interested in looking at a few different prong options to figure out what worked best.

Is this how it usually goes - did I have unrealistic expectations? I''ve never really read about the actual process of setting the stone in the ring, so I could be making it all up.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/8/2009 8:48:00 PM
Author:uncleezno
Hi Everybody,

I called Charleston Alexander in Bethesda today, and they told me my setting was finished. I''ve got my stone, so I asked if I could come in and watch it being set. I couldn''t see the woman''s face through the phone, but I got the distinct impression that she thought I was nuts. She told me that I could drop it off, and that they would examine the stone, get the dimensions, figure out the best way to prong it, etc...and that it would be ready in four business days. I was under the impression I''d get to decide how it was being set - I want to make sure they use solder that matches the ring (18k WG), and I was also interested in looking at a few different prong options to figure out what worked best.

Is this how it usually goes - did I have unrealistic expectations? I''ve never really read about the actual process of setting the stone in the ring, so I could be making it all up.
Some might let you watch but apparently watching a diamond being set can be a bit of a surprise to the diamond''s owner as it isn''t always the most gentle looking process! However I see no reason why you can''t be involved in selecting your prong design.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I''m not expert on setting diamonds, but I can imagine it looking a bit rough and maybe some people might worry the ring/diamond will get damaged. But I don''t think it''s unreasonable that you asked.

If you''re getting it done at a reputable company I''m sure everything will turn out fine.
21.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Since they already finished the setting wouldn''t your prong prefderences already have been made? You should let them know that you are still hoping to make some design choices. They probably are thinking you want to watch so they don''t switch out the stone. If your stone is graded by a lab, switching it is pretty unlikely, especially by a reputable jeweler.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 8:48:00 PM
Author:uncleezno
Hi Everybody,

Yes, I would expect to be involved in the selection process for the prongs, color of gold etc. But after that I wouldn''t necessarily expect they''d be able to (or willing to) set the diamond while I waited.

uncleezno

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, guys. I went by earlier this afternoon to check out the setting - it''s absolutely gorgeous, and I can''t wait to get it back so I can take some pictures! I dropped off my stone, and all the women working there came over to ooh and aah over it
1.gif
You were right - the prong decision was already made, and it looks like I just forgot that I made it
3.gif
I don''t know the word for what kind of prongs they are, but they look good, and they told me they''ll be using 18k WG solder to match the ring. To help reassure me, they let me in the back where the craftsmen work - cool stuff! Thanks for all your kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results